Weight Loss Success Despite Depression

Options
aefader
aefader Posts: 4 Member
Are there any success stories out there that had to deal with depression while trying to get back in shape? I could use some inspiration and advice for when my inner voice is keeping me down. Thank you!

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Get mad with it. If it says you can't, then say to yourself 'watch me'. You are more than your illness. The more you do the more you'll see that. :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Loads, but plan what you are going to do and make small steps plus keep it in perspective. Exercise will be a great help.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Whenever I stop eating processed and start eating fresh vegetables I am amazed at how happy it makes me feel. Same for exercises. Consider dumping processed food and replacing it like this. Best wishes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    success is a individual goal.
    but I've lost 23 lbs. so far. I have depression and anxiety.
    I worked on eating healthier foods. eating only when my belly is hungry. and not my head
    I've also found the exercise can sometimes alleviate the symptoms
    also, I feel better about myself. I feel fitter and healthier
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been my anti depressant
  • StaceyWhatsit
    StaceyWhatsit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found artificial sweeteners made my depression worse, stevia is a natural alternative derived from a plant but breaking up with sweeteners is supposed to be the healthiest option. Exercise makes me feel good when I'm down, I always feel better after I've taken my dog for a walk and I found martial arts training is a fun, interesting and useful reason to get moving, also for me staying on track with the diet helps, when I stopped logging and watching what I was eating I felt really down about it and perked right up again when I got back on track. Good luck!!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    In an odd sense, I think depression helped me. I don't know how to fix any of my other problems, but weight loss was 100% in my control and proving that I could accomplish something difficult and important was its own reward.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Clinically depressed. Have lost 161# in 3.5 years. I have my really crappy days, but I'm more of a "not eating while depressed" person. Some days I say "eff this" and go ham on chips and chocolate.
  • AnachronisticAutistic
    Options
    It's interesting to know that I am not the only one in this situation.

Being autistic, I have dreadful struggles with planning what I will eat even at the best of times, but depression makes this ten times worse. Depression also robs me of all motivation. It's difficult to manage to cook when I can scarcely crawl out of bed. It's one of the few things my autism support worker cannot help with either, as he has no real understanding of what constitutes good nutrition and he's a lousy cook!

As for exercise, well, I've not left the house for weeks. Even wandering out into the garden seems unbearable.

From past experience (I have these episodes at least once each year) I know this will pass if I wait; and if I manage to sustain my current eating regime then these months will not have been completely wasted.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    2 things: @AnachronisticAustistic made a great point - IT WILL PASS. Moods are like the weather - it will change. So you have to first not give your moods any power - don't analyze your life when you're depressed. Just say, oh, it's cloudy today and move on. The sun might be out later this afternoon, or tommorrow, or soon. You just have to go through the motions until then, and going through the motions can make the day seem brighter faster. Giving thanks to God, counting blessings, and exercise will all help a lot.

Second, I do many different kinds of exercise. Two are very helpful for uplifting mood: I find that it feels GREAT to lift heavy and dancing to fun music puts a SMILE on my face. Those two exercises give you a lot of feel good for your trouble, and it's pretty instantaneous.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    In an odd sense, I think depression helped me. I don't know how to fix any of my other problems, but weight loss was 100% in my control and proving that I could accomplish something difficult and important was its own reward.

Every word of this. <3

• aefader
    aefader Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All of the comments were very comforting.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!