The thinner I get, the fatter I feel

Options
Anyone else experience this? I started at 299 lbs and now that I'm at 259 lbs, I feel fatter than ever. Even though I was really fat at my largest, I was pretty confident and maybe a little ignorant to my actual size. I never felt like I actually looked like I was nearly 300 lbs. Being 5'10, I've always thought I cared the weight better than most.

Now I just feel gross. I see the scale moving so I know what I'm doing is working, but I can't stop being overly critical of myself. I look in the mirror and legitimately feel like I'm the same size or bigger than I was at 299 lbs. Why are my eyes not telling my brain I've lost 40 lbs?!?!?

Replies

• caitieemae
    caitieemae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I struggled with my weight when I was younger because of extreme bullying, and although now I'm at a healthy weight, sometimes I'm still hyper critical of my body. My problem is that I compare myself to other girls.
    I need to learn to love my body how it is now so that even as I improve, the love will remain.
    You've done amazing!! The weight you've lost will all pay off. I'm proud of you!
  • charliejl
    charliejl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also feel this way. I am not sure if it was that I was in denial, but I felt a lot less fat before I lost ten pounds. I'm hoping it's just an intermediate feeling before we all start feeling our hard work the way we should :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because your taking an active interest in weight loss/nutrition now and are being over critical of yourself because your pushing towards your goals. At 299lbs you might not have been bothered or even cared? It's more of a phycological game now because the numbers on the scale don't lie. Well done. Keep going.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a constant adjustment of body image all along the way. Your skin will be looser and sloppier now, which might contribute to feeling fatter.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I think it's because we, for the most part, never paid attention to our bodies before and now we are constantly working on it and thinking about it and everything we do to it.
    And perhaps you're like I am, thinking that everything I'm doing/have done to it should show me more progress than it has!
    Not to say that I don't feel better about my body... I mean, if I compare it to what it was... it looks a whole lot better and I do feel better, but yes, I get that feeling sometimes too! Try not to let it get you down!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much you need to lose, I think. We get bombarded with so much stuff about body image that most of us have a poor self-image.

When i got to goal, it took almost a year for me to bring the sized clothing I actually was into the dressing room with me, even though every time, I had to send stuff back because it was too big.

Have patience. It will happen.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal. I lost about 45 lbs, went from 175 to 130. I still have days I feel huge, until I look in the mirror and see the weight is still gone. Like @47Jacqueline it took me a long time to buy clothing that actually fit, in fact I still have some of my old clothes in my closet.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who has felt like this.

I think it is a psychological thing. I'm just going to stick with it and hope that my brain catches up to my body. :)
  • Louz163
    Louz163 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am the same started at 224 ive lost 65lbs but just feel fat & cant shake it, i was like you never really thought i was as big as i was till i really paid attention, think it is psychological , hopefully we will all get passed it, keep up the good work
  • wildsparkle
    wildsparkle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Me too. Only 5 chilos to goal weight and feel fatter than ever. Lost all my confidence

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40lbs already and feel like a proper fatty, everything wobbles, I am self conscious, the clothes I buy now fits differently. It all adds up, and does nothing to boost my confidence, and yes I know I have done great, almost half way to goal, but try and explain that to my brain....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Watching your body change is emotional. When I was losing my first 10 pounds I looked in the mirror and cried, because I looked odd and squishy. Now I'm 130 and when I bloat it is extremely noticeable, almost to the point where I look pregnant.

Also, our measurements are shifting as we lose, so if you've lost in your chest and thighs, your belly might appear bigger, but really it's because other parts shrank and it it stayed the same. Women who are pear shaped may lose from their chest first and their shape my be exaggerated, making the thighs appear bigger.

Once you get down into a healthy weight range, things have a way of evening out-especially if you have been weight training during your loss.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I felt the same way last time. I was very emotionally distraught over this new change and it didn't sit well with me. I hope it doesn't happen the same way this time. I guess since I'm losing slower now, it will be gradual and not as epic to me.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Did you take before pictures? I know when I get discouraged, looking at my highest weight pictures lets me know that what I'm going is SO worth it. And with 40lbs I bet you can see quite the difference.
    But it is still a struggle. I've lost 24 most recently, and some days I feel it and see it, others I still see the 350lb me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's how I'm still a fat girl (besides still having a fair amount to lose). I cheer on the heavy girls when I see them out running, and I still think I'm going to fall like a rock when I stumble. I'm still surprised that I'm agile enough to stay upright.
  • kerryleestokes
    kerryleestokes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Ive lost 52kg and I am my worst enemy - Im judgmental and critical, I find all my faults and flaws that I didnt care about when I was big. The main thing is to get through everyday. Focus on your victories! Focus on your goals! This journey is mostly whats in our head. GOOD LUCK xxx
  • kerryleestokes
    kerryleestokes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    Did you take before pictures? I know when I get discouraged, looking at my highest weight pictures lets me know that what I'm going is SO worth it. And with 40lbs I bet you can see quite the difference.
    But it is still a struggle. I've lost 24 most recently, and some days I feel it and see it, others I still see the 350lb me.
    SO agree with this. Its great motivation to see how far youve come

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »

I still run a mile when I see the camera, so no, and funnily enough I see a slimmer me in the mirror, yet a fatter me in my reflections and if I look down at my body. I guess I have not come to terms with just how fat I used to be.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I think it's becase when I was over 200lbs I tried not to focus on it...I ate what I wanted and never weighed myself becase I was in denial. now that I'm down 30lbs I.feel bigger than ever becase I spend so much time focusing on my body
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have been at my goal weight now for 3 years. Lost 71lb..... I still feel & see myself as the fat girl that I was. Even though people say "oh you're so so tiny" I still don't see it some days at all. :(