Feel intimidated lifting at the gym, help!

Options
I have been doing strength and total body workouts at home using DVDs or youtube. This has been working great, BUT
it's too hot in my house this summer to do workouts at home, so I need to use my gym membership.

As a young female I feel intimidated at the gym, and I have no idea how to do a routine without watching a video. At home I usually do squats, burpees, lunges for lower body and lift 5lb - 8lb usually for upper body strength.

Any suggestions or ideas what is an EASY way to do this at the gym? Do you do upper and lower strength on separate days? I read bodybuilding.com but ended up getting confused by all the instructions.

Would love to hear what has worked for you, guys or gals.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Read up on the following, they all have guides;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Everyone feels intimated on their first trip into the free weights room... I did, but once you go a few times you'll probably start getting greetings from people. No one is there to judge you; they're just there doing their thing.

Definitely follow one of the programs I listed above... you also need to fuel yourself properly if you're going to be lifting;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs
  • jhass80
    jhass80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey if your beginner to weight lifting ,I would recommend a upper/lower body work out. It will help you build strength and form.

Upper body day:
    Dumbbell curls
    Tricep push downs
    Chin ups
    Dips
    Dumb bells rows
    Ab machine/crunches

Lower body day:
    squats
    Dumbbell lunges
    Leg extension machine
    Leg curl machine
    inside and outside flexor machines
    ab machine/crunches.

I would do it four days a week for a month alternating days. It will help you gain strength/ tone up ,and you will feel more comfortable in the gym.

Just my advice. Hope it helps.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation for beginners is to do a beginner progressive free weight program. They are typically full-body programs that you do 3 days a week, with a rest day between workout days.

Programs I can vouch for:

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    all pro beginner
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves

The beginner stages of all these programs are very simple. You won't be doing more than 3-5 lifts in any single workout.

These programs are very specific. They tell you which lifts to do, in what order, how many sets, how many reps, how much rest, when to add weight, how to warm up ... I would suggest writing down every set of your workout on a piece of paper and take it with you to the gym. Include weight and reps for each set. Check them off as you complete each set.

The key to any strength program is progression. For several weeks, you can add weight every workout. The beginning workouts will take less than an hour.

Upper/lower splits are great if your time in the gym is very limited, or if you need an extra day of recovery. But most beginners don't need to do a split.