Alright people who supposedly get full on 1200, how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Lest you think only small people eat 1200 cals per day - I'm 5'9" and I have been on 1200/day for the last 5 months and have lost about 16 lbs in that time. I started at 1400 cals/day and could not lose weight at all at that level. I get a gym workout 3 days/week and walk & lift free weights the off days. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with my age - 70. And most people that I know who are around my age have had to eat around 1200 - 1600 in order to either lose or maintain a normal body weight. If I eat just one big hefty (you might call it a normal size - say 600 cals) meal - the next day the scale jumps by 2 lbs.

I'm quite happy with my weight loss. I'm at 159 and my next goal is 150. I'm finally in my normal BMI range, thanks to my 1200 cals/day.

Do you weigh all your food on a scale?

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    I had to do 1200 for some months

I filled up on veggies and fruit
    I eat it all and it is all about balance

this is one of my 1200-ish days And yes i weigh EVERYTHING! to the gram
    :)
    Plan and pre-log and it is doable...for some time. There isnt much room ofcourse. And to not be hungry i ate a lot of protein and veggies

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

After some time i could go up and now 10 months later and 105 pounds less than i was i eat between 1300 to 1600 a day sometimes more. All depends on my exercise or if i am hungry or not.
    But i fuel my body what it needs.

76145189.png

Your food looks amazing.

thank you
    I stir fry a lot.. i love that. I pre prep and log ahead
    Keep a food log and blog with photo's Love to do that.

But i love to cook.
    for me the trick is mixing it all up..when hungrier more veggies when not more calorie densed foods :)

• BWBTrish
    Options

Plan and pre-log and it is doable...for some time. There isnt much room ofcourse. And to not be hungry i ate a lot of protein and veggies

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

After some time i could go up and now 10 months later and 105 pounds less than i was i eat between 1300 to 1600 a day sometimes more. All depends on my exercise or if i am hungry or not.

76145189.png

How dare you post pictures of scrumptious food & not inform us, of what it is or not invite me over, for every meal; lol!

lol ty you are all invited to follow the daily photo sessions if you want hehehee

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you eat chicken breast, seafood, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, lots of various veg and a few carbs it's easily done.

I must say I didn't know how easy it could have been back when I was on 1200 lol, oh well.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,609 Member
    Options
    Lest you think only small people eat 1200 cals per day - I'm 5'9" and I have been on 1200/day for the last 5 months and have lost about 16 lbs in that time. I started at 1400 cals/day and could not lose weight at all at that level. I get a gym workout 3 days/week and walk & lift free weights the off days. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with my age - 70. And most people that I know who are around my age have had to eat around 1200 - 1600 in order to either lose or maintain a normal body weight. If I eat just one big hefty (you might call it a normal size - say 600 cals) meal - the next day the scale jumps by 2 lbs.

I'm quite happy with my weight loss. I'm at 159 and my next goal is 150. I'm finally in my normal BMI range, thanks to my 1200 cals/day.

Yes, and measure all liquids.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1400 but I seem to be landing on 1200:
    breakfast is a kale and banana smoothie,
    lunch is salad or sandwich,
    dinner is roast chicken with veg and potatoes
    with fruit/yogurt as snacks
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It surprised me when I started counting and logging how few I could eat just by cutting my pasta and cheese portion sizes, and by eliminating the evening packets of chocolate biscuits. I'm 5'6 although not very active and average 1350 calories a day. If I exercise I eat more, I think sticking to 1200 would be hard for me as I like to eat a lot so would have to shave the extra off the calorie dense foods. Bread is one of my biggest downfalls, when I eat bread I am instantly hungry again afterwards. I weigh everything in grams and tend to round up, for example if two eggs come to 98g I round up to 100g. Eating little and often helps me, if I keep my meals fairly small then I can top up with snacks in between.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

76145189.png

Your food looks amazing.

thank you

But i love to cook.
    for me the trick is mixing it all up..when hungrier more veggies when not more calorie densed foods :)

Yummy food pics! :smile: And completely agree on mixing it up--low on calories, lots of veggies and low calorie protein (tuna on a pile of greens is my go to lunch when going out to eat later); lots of calories left, get out the chips and cheese! :wink:
  • BWBTrish
    Options

Just asking

But the 2lbs weight gain is water weight nothing to really worry about
    I do know that salt is my killer in this matter
    i eat low salt when i eat a bit to much ( above 1500mg a day) i gain too...but lose it right away again because it is water weight.

You only gain 1 pound when you eat 3500 calories SURPLUS. So dont think you ate 7000 calories plus the normal 1200 which isn't even your maintenance level.
    But it seems like you are very sensitive like me.

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, I also find it odd (and insulting) that so many people think it's impossible to be satisfied on 1200 calories. Of course, if you're 5'10 and active, then you'll be hungry on 1200 calories! But, as a 5'2" female, close to goal weight with a desk job I can absolutely feel full on 1100-1200 calories (and yes, that's with weighing in grams!) and that does not leave me with a huge weight loss, on average .5-.8 lbs/week. The first, and most important thing is for you to identify what makes sense FOR YOU. Don't pick 1200 calories because that seems like the fastest, most extreme way to lose and don't pick a higher calorie goal because people say that 1200 is crazy low.

With that said, to answer the OP's question, I did used to be starving on 1200 calories until I found the food combination and eating style that worked for me. Like WBB55 said, experiment and find what works for you because it is different for everyone. For me, whole foods that are full fat and high protein work best to fill me up, along with high volume foods. I discovered this when I played with going "Paleoish" for a month, following some of the principles of Paleo but not all and still measuring and tracking calories. I'm not a Paleo follower and I don't have any off limits foods now, but that month really helped me understand how filling avocado, chicken thighs and steak are, rather than chicken breast (which doesn't taste as good to me) but I used to eat because I grew up in the "low fat" crazy days. I learned that fat and protein help me feel full and refined carbohydrates do not (again, contrary to what I learned 20 years ago). Previously, when I was trying to "diet" to 1200 calories, I would eat a lot of 100 calorie packs of crackers, bread thins, and other "low fat" and those things would just make me hungrier.

So, what I eat now to feel full: soups (bone broth is awesome--high protein and low calorie) and salads for volume, meats, vegetables, fruits, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocados, eggs, almonds, kashi bars (be careful with bars, look for high protein and high fiber), etc.

Food timing also makes a difference for me and this is another area to experiment since different people have very different timing needs. I tend to be hungry at night so I save calories for the evening. I usually have a kashi bar and black coffee for breakfast in the mid-morning (about 140 calories), lunch for around 300-400 calories (frozen meal, salad, leftovers, etc.), and a late-afternoon snack (about 200 calories) of greek yogurt and/or almonds and/or fruit and/or low fat cheese (in this case, low fat helps by upping the protein to calorie ratio). This leaves me with about 500 calories for the evening. I usually use this for a 400 calorie dinner (meat, veggies and a starch) and then a 100 calorie treat (either ice cream or chips, since I love both!).

One quick caveat, I was very successful with this plan and even managed to fit eating out into it (by skipping snacks and having a lower calorie lunch on days when I had dinner plans). However, now that I've added in more exercise to my day by getting a standing desk, running and weight lifting, I typically eat more than 1200 calories per day, especially on workout days. Listen to your body and understand what will work for you with how you're living right now.

Good luck with finding the eating plan that works best for you! :smile:

PREACH. Thank you for saying what I was feeling. Also I feel like your my food twin...

Yay for food twins! :smile:
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Ironically, when I exercise, my appetite is suppressed. When I do not exercise, I skip breakfast or eat a very low calorie breakfast, high protein lunch and save most of my calories because I tend to want to eat more in the late afternoon or evening.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

76145189.png

Your food looks amazing.

thank you

But i love to cook.

Yummy food pics! :smile: And completely agree on mixing it up--low on calories, lots of veggies and low calorie protein (tuna on a pile of greens is my go to lunch when going out to eat later); lots of calories left, get out the chips and cheese! :wink:

lol ice cream for me...all the calories that are left

But i love my air popped popcorn every night for the last 10 months now
    And next to that i have some frozen fruit
    Its not ice cream but love the chewyness of the frozen fruits like it is candy.

But yes when calories left and i want some "extra" or need more i eat ice cream. :)

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    During the weekdays I typically eat 1200-1300 per day and I am completely fine with it. Although I do this because I am trying to create a bigger deficit so that I can splurge on the weekends. When you include in the weekends I average 1550 calories per day. I've been doing this for four and a half months now and I consistently lose 2 pounds per week. It works for me because I like to go out to nice dinners on the weekends or to family gatherings and I can still eat what I want and still maintain my 7000 calorie per week deficit. When you are on a 1200 calorie day there typically is no room for any treats. Assuming you want to actually provide proper nutrients for your body. I simply do whole foods, fruits and vegitables...and a protein shake for breakfast. I do three equal size meals with fruit as my inbetween meal snacks. I do exercise 4-5 times a week and don't eat back my exercise calories. Over the last four months I have found that I need those high calorie weekends because I do like to eat out at high end restaurants. This weekend I am going to Vegas so I'm definatley going to be going over again. 1200-1300 days during the week helps me to be able to live the life I like to lead and still be able to lose the weight at the pace I want to.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Ironically, when I exercise, my appetite is suppressed. When I do not exercise, I skip breakfast or eat a very low calorie breakfast, high protein lunch and save most of my calories because I tend to want to eat more in the late afternoon or evening.

I have this too. But not always
    Sometimes i go through periods of needing more...and i do more than because my body need it for the work i do.
    Also one of the reasons i eat more calories now. I am more active, healthier fitter and exercise every day :)
    Love it

Most people go from a level of calorie intake to lower when they lose weight..( after all when you lose weight you get lighter you need less and to maintain your weight loss deficit you need to eat less to keep losing the same amount)
    I do the other way around lol...slowly upping to maintenance level atm But still losing weight every week. So goes well and i am happy :)

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    During the weekdays I typically eat 1200-1300 per day and I am completely fine with it. Although I do this because I am trying to create a bigger deficit so that I can splurge on the weekends. When you include in the weekends I average 1550 calories per day. I've been doing this for four and a half months now and I consistently lose 2 pounds per week. It works for me because I like to go out to nice dinners on the weekends or to family gatherings and I can still eat what I want and still maintain my 7000 calorie per week deficit. When you are on a 1200 calorie day there typically is no room for any treats. Assuming you want to actually provide proper nutrients for your body. I simply do whole foods, fruits and vegitables...and a protein shake for breakfast. I do three equal size meals with fruit as my inbetween meal snacks. I do exercise 4-5 times a week and don't eat back my exercise calories. Over the last four months I have found that I need those high calorie weekends because I do like to eat out at high end restaurants. This weekend I am going to Vegas so I'm definatley going to be going over again. 1200-1300 days during the week helps me to be able to live the life I like to lead and still be able to lose the weight at the pace I want to.

that never worked for me :( And not that it doesnt work but i fluctuate than...all water weight because the more salt intake too.
    It seems my body likes the consistency.
    It is also when i go out for dinner, i can bank all i want...keep my calories low and than go out so i can eat some more...but bamm 4 to 6 pounds ( yes ones even almost 10 in one week we went out twice) all water weight i lose it very quickly again..but sure enough my body dont want or like the salt. lol

Now i must say i have a medical issue that causes this. So i know it.

This week my sisters in law are in town..Some fun planned of course, but sure enough i will gain like crazy.
    And np i can deal with it
    Will lose it again, no biggie. Life goes on and has to be liven. So looking forward to their visit and stay and after 9 days when they leave we will lose that water weight quick enough.
  • manymanymore
    manymanymore Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do at least 300 cals worths of exercises a day. I would also eat a big plate of salad as lunch that is filling at maybe only 300 cals, adding normal breakfast (about 400 cals) and normal dinner (500 cals). I'll add about 200 - 300 cals of snacks, and then am not hungry throughout the day. The key is to add some exercises.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories. Every scrap of that 1200 needs to go on food. I drink water, herbal tea or one can of caffeine free diet coke depending on how I feel.

For breakfast, I have porridge with sweetened soya milk and a slice of white/whole grain toast (or two depending on the bread that's around). That takes me to about 300 cals. Lunch is a high protein salad or wrap. Again, another 300 or so calories. In the UK, supermarkets do have healthier ranges and you can get a sandwich for 298 cals or a wrap for 293 if you buy your lunch out. Dinner is your basic protein, vegetables and something carb-y for about 400. The last 200 goes on snacks like a kitkat after lunch and some almonds or grapes if I feel peckish.

I'd say, don't be afraid of carbs. You can eat the recommended carb intake and still lose. A lot of people are low carb and that's great for them, but I can't do it (medical reasons). Good luck on your journey, whatever you decide to do. :blush:
  • BWBTrish
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do at least 300 cals worths of exercises a day. I would also eat a big plate of salad as lunch that is filling at maybe only 300 cals, adding normal breakfast (about 400 cals) and normal dinner (500 cals). I'll add about 200 - 300 cals of snacks, and then am not hungry throughout the day. The key is to add some exercises.

No the key is moderation and portion control, knowing how much you eat and eating less than you burn
    And creating a deficit.
    Now for a lot of people i would say dont go that low...why should you if you dont have too. I had to because of some medical issues
    Some people are petite

But for losing fast???? nahhh just create a normal deficit so you are comfortable in your weight loss journey. Much better and helps you keep it up.

Exercise is only the add on...the extra you do.
    But you can lose all your weight without exercising. Even with eating a higher amount of calories....as long as you eat less calories than you burn..that is the key!

Now i dont horayyyy not exercising because it sure helps out a lot...getting fitter. The feeling good etc and you can eat even a bit more.
    But it is not the key to weight loss.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,609 Member
    Options

Just asking

But the 2lbs weight gain is water weight nothing to really worry about
    I do know that salt is my killer in this matter
    i eat low salt when i eat a bit to much ( above 1500mg a day) i gain too...but lose it right away again because it is water weight.

You only gain 1 pound when you eat 3500 calories SURPLUS. So dont think you ate 7000 calories plus the normal 1200 which isn't even your maintenance level.
    But it seems like you are very sensitive like me.

I know its mostly water retention and find it's not to hard to get back off. It almost always happens when I'm on a trip or vacation. And now I'm going to look up rest. menus online before hand. Part of my problem is I adore salt. My favorite treat is chips. I love to cook so CICO is perfect for me