Maintenance and my story

Options
O.K, Here are my thoughts on maintenance so far. I am within 1 pound of my weight last year, which is about when I reached my goal weight, so I basically have stayed the same this past year.
I know a lot of people say maintenance is harder than the actual losing, and I am sure this whole process is different for everyone, but for me it has not really been much different.
I think a lot of people think when you get to your goal, it is all over. I have seen so many people get to their goal weight, leave and are back a year later gaining everything they lost back plus more. That will not be me. I know if I leave or go back to my old ways, the same thing will happen to me.
In the beginning, I had no interest or knowledge in diets. I knew I needed one, but did not interest me. I was happy with my biscuits in the morning, cheese steaks for lunch, Reese cups in the afternoon and baked ziti and garlic rolls for dinner and maybe ice cream for dessert. Then I had a stroke, gained 50 pounds getting up to 282 pounds, and knew I needed to do something before I had another stroke.
So a friend told me about Myfitnesspal, I glanced at it, started playing with it, thought it was kind of fun and trying to stay within my calories it said I was allowed, and there I went. A challenge to stay within my calories. I love challenges. Then I got a fitbit and tried for 1,000 steps, then 5,000, then 10,000 a day, oh another challenge. Let me beat the day before. I started losing weight and having fun. Then I met a lot of you, talking to people all over the world, more motivation. 1 ½ years later, lost 132 pounds, at my goal and still motivated. Now the supposed hard part. MAINTENANCE!!

I started off thinking now what? Eat more so I stop losing and hold my weight where it is? Eat the same and walk less to stay the same? Eat a little more and walk a little less to balance it out? I started out walking the same as I know there are other benefits to walking and up my calories a little, thinking this is cool, more calories. I like maintenance, I was happy with the calories was eating all along, so this is great! I continued logging to make sure I was doing ok. I continued talking to friends on here. The weeks passed, doing ok, the months passed, still ok and now its about a year, and still fine. The reason I think I have done ok, is because I learned so much in the last 2 ½ years on here. I learned about what I need to do to keep things in balance. Things I never knew or cared about before. I learned how easy it is to add a pound and how hard it is to take a pound off. I learned if I want to be bad, work to burn the calories first and use the food I want as a reward. I learned what it feels like to feel normal in social places like airplanes, ball games, movies, restaurants or malls. So for me maintenance has been pretty easy. I now know how much I can eat, how much exercise I need, the motivation I get from all of you, the desire to not feeling the way I did when I started, It is all about knowledge and desire. Before I had neither and once I started, I quickly had the desire and from everyone on here, I obtained the knowledge. So when you reach your goal, just remember, it is not the end! It is something to celebrate that you reached your goal for sure, and it is time to take what you have learned during your journey to stay at that weight....Is it easy, no, is it rewarding, oh yes!!! Will it be a struggle for me forever? No, because I now know enough to never let myself to be in that position again….As hard as the journey may be, is as rewarding knowing you accomplished something and are better physically and mentally for your friends, your family, and most of all, YOURSELF!!

Marty

P.S. - sorry so long but hopefully this can help someone. Fell free to contact me any time if you would just like to talk!!

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Well done.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Totally agree; I think that is where a lot of folks miss the boat; they think of it as a "diet" with an end date or a project completed. It is nether, it is a lifestyle. Good luck and it is a great post!! B)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the uplifting and positive message!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience with maintenance so far (8 months in). I continue to be diligent with working out and logging. I don't allow myself to 'slip' for very long, and when I overeat, I either saved calories before hand or make up for them after.

I have noticed my appetite is greater than when I was steadily losing. I thought that when I got to maintenance, and had a few hundred calories more to play with, the mental part would be a bit easier. However my appetite seems to have grown in tandem with my calorie allotment. I still fight cravings, I still go hungry sometimes.

All in all though, it remains the same CI/CO game I played before. And I know how to do this. Exactly as you said, you just keep applying everything you learned over the course of your weight loss, and don't act as though life goes back to 'normal' now that you hit the magic number on the scale. This is normal for me now, and I'll never go back.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Great post.
    I never had a great deal to lose but have been maintaining for 6-ish years. I agree maintaining is easier if you keep applying what you learnt while losing to you everyday life.

Cheers, h.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring post!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    What an inspiring post!

Agreed.
  • VickieZureich
    VickieZureich Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had reached my first goal, relaxed and then gained 6 back..now am setting to lose my lastx15..your story encouraged me to reach my final goal..thank you!!
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started off thinking now what? Eat more so I stop losing and hold my weight where it is? Eat the same and walk less to stay the same? Eat a little more and walk a little less to balance it out? I started out walking the same as I know there are other benefits to walking and up my calories a little, thinking this is cool, more calories. I like maintenance, I was happy with the calories was eating all along, so this is great! I continued logging to make sure I was doing ok.

This was me 6 months ago! I've been relying on my fitbit activity- I get in a LOT of steps at work, and my learned knowledge to keep me in line. I've been within 2 lbs of my lowest weight in 20 years for months now, even through spring and vacation and summer and bbq's. Thanks very much for the inspiring words, congratulations and I hope you never have a hard time again :)
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    wow. inspiring. Thanks for posting this!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @mart001 you nailed it. Maintenance is simple when we changed our eating lifestyle for life. Great job and your photo shows your success. Thanks for sharing.