Fat Loss Vs Weight Loss

Options
Hi Guys

Just curious about your opinions regarding Fat Loss Vs Weight Loss. I am currently under the care of a nutritionist and have had some success. I find that since I have started High Fat Low Sugar, Low Carb. I am losing alot more body fat faster and gaining more muscle. For example in my first week I lost 2.6kg. I gained 5kg of muscle mass and lost 3.8% body fat.

Do you find that you are still losing fat but the scales are not shifting as quick as you thought?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    5kg of muscles seems excessive for one week. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I don't want to be Debbie downer here but could your nutritionist be lyin to help motivate you?

How are you measuring fat and muscles?

Muscle or not muscle your weightloss is good, keep it up.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    5kg of muscle in one week? Even for men that's highly unlikely, if not impossible.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    5kg of muscle in one week? Even for men that's highly unlikely, if not impossible.

^
    what she said.

A female on a bulk intentionally trying to gain muscle mass is lucky to gain 1lb a month. That's about .5kg.
    12lbs (5kg or so) of muscle is, well, impossible

How are they establishing these figures?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry, with the exception of newbie gains, you're not gaining much muscle in a deficit.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I get weighed it gives you fat mass, muscle mass, water mass, bone mass and just normal weight. I went from having 67kg of Muscle to 72kg muscle. But in that same week I also 2.6kg and lost a large amount of body fat
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    When I get weighed it gives you fat mass, muscle mass, water mass, bone mass and just normal weight. I went from having 67kg of Muscle to 72kg muscle. But in that same week I also 2.6kg and lost a large amount of body fat

Are you having DEXA scans or the scales which measure fat/muscle/bone? Because those scales are notoriously inaccurate.

It's fantastic you're seeing results and losing fat. The pp are just saying that you didn't gain 5kg of muscle in a week. That's just not possible.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options

How are they measuring this, exactly?

• Merkavar
    Options
    I'm not sure about others in this thread but I prefer the truth, especially from doctors. They aren't your friend, they shouldn't sugar coat things.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Are you using a body fat scale? Those are highly inaccurate.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    really what ever the fat and muscle % is you seem to be heading in the right direction.

Did I already say that?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I try not to say that things are impossible but I'm going to do it here. It is impossible for you to have gained 5 kg of muscle in one week. I don't believe that an 18 yo male could gain 5 kg of muscle in one week. A 29 yo female? Nope.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Unless you're in some kind of wacky NASA experiment, or not actually human, you did not gain over 10 lbs of muscle in one week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

Just curious about your opinions regarding Fat Loss Vs Weight Loss. I am currently under the care of a nutritionist and have had some success. I find that since I have started High Fat Low Sugar, Low Carb. I am losing alot more body fat faster and gaining more muscle. For example in my first week I lost 2.6kg. I gained 5kg of muscle mass and lost 3.8% body fat.

Do you find that you are still losing fat but the scales are not shifting as quick as you thought?

You just started doing low carb which leads to you losing a crap ton of glycogen. When you lose glycogen it releases about 3g of water for each 1g of glycogen you use.

Unfortunately this is borrowed weight loss, because as soon as you "carb up", your body will replenish the glycogen carbs, and in doing so will be adding 3g of water per 1g of carbs it re-stores as glycogen.

Out of your ~5.75lbs lost, glycogen loss due to starting a low carb regime probably accounts for 3 to 4 of those lbs.

Bio-impedance scales are extremely inaccurate. Let us assume you are an overweight person with 35% body fat. The scale can tell you that you are 25% body fat or 45% body fat. YES, that is how inaccurate it is.

You don't need a scale to tell you that. You can get a slightly LESS inaccurate measurement by guessing your body fat % from your BMI!

You can look in the mirror. That too will get you a closer guess than 25% to 45% when you are actually 35%.

Anyway: You lose weight. You can influence whether you lose fat mass or lean mass by:

a) choosing a reasonable deficit that achieves fat loss that does not exceed the 1% to 0.7% of body weight lost per week range (depending on how much fat you have to lose).

b) eating a higher than RDA amount of protein assuming you don't have risk factors that contra-indicate that. In fact double the RDA seems to be a good point.

c) engaging in progressive resistance training.

Your loss is good and I wish you continuing success. Contrary to the prevalent opinion, I do believe that most people on MFP fall squarely in the definition of "over-fat beginners" when it comes to progressive resistance/weight training. As such it is quite possible that you will gain some muscle while losing weight.

Be aware that gaining 5kg of muscle is what an average person doing some serious weightlifting for 2-5 hours a week may expect to gain as a newbie over the course of a YEAR.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/muscle-gain-calculator/
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Just keep eating less than you burn, exercise, and all will be well. Why is this so complicated?