C25K

Options
I'm working on being able to jog a 5K by this fall. The only time I have to jog is about 5 AM and it's a struggle to get up that early. Anyone else working on the C25K program? Would love to motivate each other to get out and get running.

Replies

• mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    T
    I'm working on being able to jog a 5K by this fall. The only time I have to jog is about 5 AM and it's a struggle to get up that early. Anyone else working on the C25K program? Would love to motivate each other to get out and get running.

I'm working on the C25k program. I would love to have people to share the journey with and help motivate each other. Send me a friend request if you want.
  • penguin13mfp
    penguin13mfp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting c25k tonight...please add me to your friends. I need the motivation as well.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K and am still running 3x a week. I'd be happy to encourage you through the process.

Also, here's an active group that offers lots of encouragement and advice through your training:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I highly recommend that group.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, come join the group! It's a supportive community. We are all in the same boat together.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I just started it today! I've never run in my life, other than those terrible days of physical fitness tests in PE class. Feeling good to have completed day 1.
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I completed C25K and am still running 3x a week. I'd be happy to encourage you through the process.

Also, here's an active group that offers lots of encouragement and advice through your training:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I highly recommend that group.

Thanks for the tip on the site.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K in March, and have since run two 5K races and a 5K obstacle run. I thought I would die when I first started but now I run 2-3x per week and love how strong and fast I feel. Keep at it, don't try to run too fast and you will do great!
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    After my 3 rd restart I have completed W1D2 it feels very easy now. Not like the first time I started w1 of a different learn to run program and I though my heart would burst, lol. Also I ended up with hip bursitis. I am tempted to do more but I am holding myself back. I have hope :) that I have learned my lesson about the importance of following the program.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love this program. Just completed my first 20 minute run in probably 30 years. The program works. Feel free to add me.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was due to do Week 4 Day 3 this morning but overslept for a change so will do tomorrow instead. I head out about 6am since I started waking up at 5am whether or not I wanted to - I need about a half hour to wake up and drink some water before I go and it doesn't help that its the middle of winter.

Roll on week 5 on Monday which is going to be tough!
  • Weirdistonni
    Weirdistonni Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's awesome. I love it! The only time I can run is at night. Getting up early is not for me. So far I can run 3 minutes straight I can't wait until I can run 5. One thing is I repeat days because only running 3 times a week is not enough for me, so I run 4 or 5 with two days rest.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is the only reason I can jog now. I can't recommend it enough. I've done the program once all the way through and still use it as a general guide a few times a week when I jog. Keep at it, don't try to do more than the app tells you (you'll burn out) and keep the jogs at a slow and steady pace. I started at 4.6 and now I jog at 5.0 comfortably.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting! Feel free to add me :)
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey, just finished W4D3 yesterday, did a bit extra at the end just as a confidence boost to convince myself that I can do W5D3 when it comes up next week kind of half excited half scared for that one.
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Hey, just finished W4D3 yesterday, did a bit extra at the end just as a confidence boost to convince myself that I can do W5D3 when it comes up next week kind of half excited half scared for that one.

You will do great!! I have made it to 5km on my own, but an injury means I have to cut my distance right back. I'm going with the c25k app as I need the training program so I don't overtrain.. I have a terrible habit of not stopping so overdo it! Looking forward to running 5k injury-free!!!! :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Twice this week I've run half a kilometre. I'm thinking of starting C25K.

Please tell me... is it just a podcast that gives you tips, or is it a measurement app that sets and times your runs and knows when you're doing them?
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Please tell me... is it just a podcast that gives you tips, or is it a measurement app that sets and times your runs and knows when you're doing them?

Its a phone app... It has voice prompts etc to help you interval train.. So you walk to warm up, run for a bit, walk for a bit (repeat a few times) and then cool down

Each day you do it you increase running and decrease walking time. Its good to use as a safety measure, so you don't get injured!
  • MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting on Sunday.
  • MissusSpags
    MissusSpags Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k program but ended up just upping my distance on my own. Ran my first 5k race last Saturday.....If i, as a 41 year old woman with crappy ankles can do it, you can do it!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

Its a phone app... It has voice prompts etc to help you interval train.. So you walk to warm up, run for a bit, walk for a bit (repeat a few times) and then cool down

Each day you do it you increase running and decrease walking time. Its good to use as a safety measure, so you don't get injured!

Great! Thank you!
    I started the c25k program but ended up just upping my distance on my own. Ran my first 5k race last Saturday.....If i, as a 41 year old woman with crappy ankles can do it, you can do it!

Wow, yay you! I'm 48 with crappy feet, so that's really inspiring for me. Thank you!