Looking at my method - the TDEE method.

Options
ok do ive been doing TDEE for about 6 weeks now. i prefer it as i like the consistency of having the same amount of calories every day.
i have a desk job and exercise around 3-4 times a week, with body combat - or zumba, sometimes i get out for walks other times i dont. im 31, 15st.10 and 5ft 7,
i have a work out of around 1800 to lose 20% my TDEE is around 2100,

can people just double check this for me?, as i seem to be gaining and losing the same 2lbs, not really going anywhere. if ive done this correctly then i shall look more rigidly at my food diary entries.

thanks everyone

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For starters, 20% off 2100 is 1700ish, not 1800. Beyond that, either your logging is off our your actual TDEE is lower than your calculator estimates. Remember that the calculators are just averages for large populations.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    well my diary is set at 1750, do you think i should reduce it to 1700? and try that for a few weeks? i burn around 400-450 calories every time i do body combat using my hrm
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd say check your diary entries hun. I'm a few lb heavier than you, 34yrs but am only 5ft 4. If I eat 1700 calories a day I can lose 1lb a week without any exercise. If you are eating 1800 and doing all that exercise then I would expect you to be losing. On the days you exercise you are probably netting around 1400 give or take a hundred.

I know everyone is different but I'd go down the route of being really sure of your diary before changing things just yet. Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You've basically been maintaining if you haven't lost in that 6 week period, I would say to lower your calories by 100/150 cals and you'll start losing again...
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What do you do on the days you don't exercise? I put my stats into a TDEE calculator and they come out at 2000-2100, but my fitbit HR puts me at 1953.

Although I do exercise 4 times a week and walk to work etc, on days I don't exercise I don't usually move much which drags my TDEE down from what the calculator predicts.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Ive looked at a couple of calculators (Scooby's and IIFYM) and both give you a higher TDEE than you calculated.

Based on your stats above and 3 hrs moderate exercise per week, IIFYM (which was the lower of the two calculations) gave:

BMR 1748
    TDEE 2378
    TDEE -20% = 1902

If you are eating 1800 and not losing then it may be worth rechecking your logging accuracy.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    from a basic trouble shooting standpoint, your first step should be to double check your logging. The usual advice about digital scales, etc. But if you are comfortable that your logging is accurate, either you need to lower your CI or raise your CO. ultimately the scale tells you how much to eat, not a calculator.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    ok thanks everyone - i thought it was correct but needed another pair of eyes, so its my calories in then...

god dam it lol
  • leahcollett1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    well its all a bit mish mash really.... i lost 2lbs on a whoosh after i began body combat training and not loosing for weeks,
    then i went on holiday oops 5lbs gain,
    the week after returning lost the 5lbs.
    lost 1.5
    gained 2lbs last week
    this week lost 1

so theres no consistant standard data.. i dont know if im doing ti right or not.. do you reckon i need to continue doing the exact same thing for a bit longer?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key. Give it a few more weeks of sticking to your goal consistently and the scale should start to move.

Body combat could also be causing water retention, which could be masking fat loss. Use other measures such as tape measure, and how your clothes fit as they may be able to show results that the scale does not.