Apple iWatch

Options
Has anyone got one thta they use for excercise and stuff??

Replies

• rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Someone bought me one for my birthday. I have never been a watch person and honestly wasn't interested - but I love mine! I'm not sure of the accuracy of the fitness/workout/calorie aspects of it, but I also tend not to eat back any exercise calories. It's been a good push for me to hit the daily goals.

If it had not been given to me, I may have gone with a fitbit, but I'm not sure. I also like that it syncs with my phone.
  • mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i read that it wants you to stand for 12 hours a day but i have a desk job so that sounds impossible
  • PeterBoon36
    PeterBoon36 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've got the polar M400, i love it! :)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    It wants you to stand for 1 minute every hour. I also have a desk job. It reminds me to get up once an hour if I haven't already. I typically walk across the building, up and down all the floors, and do some squats or other exercise in the women's locker room. (Women's locker room in a high tech company is usually empty except at lunch time :smiley: ).

Its a good way to get you moving. A lot of info on how bad sitting all day is for you has come out recently....
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    What about exercise? How does it do with estimating burned calories for weight training, running, elliptical, etc....
    Does the app with the phone sync well with your fitness goals ie calorie burns, steps etc?
  • annaskiski
    Options
    I run, and it matches what my old HRM told me. I don't typically do elliptical, so no info on that. Consumer Reports tested it and found it to be a very accurate HRM (not sure if published yet, but you can google for their prelim results).

For lifting, I turn it on exercise mode, but I don't think any HRM currently can accurately measure calorie burn. (They typically measure steady state cardio). I measure it out of curiousity.

The Apple Watch has the hardware to measure VO2 max, but currently it is not enabled. (rumor is that this would make it a medical device, and they have to get appropriate permits).

As to tying in with apps, I use it with MFP and Apple's Healthkit with no issues. Apple is supposed to open the watch hardware to third party software soon, so we should see a lot of new apps coming out soon....
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @annaskiski Thanks so much! VO2 Max measuring would make me buy it.
  • mitchelsimps
    mitchelsimps Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So MFP is an app on the iWatch aswell?
  • krebsi
    krebsi Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my Apple watch…. i like the exercise app and everything about it… (shame its not waterproof though as i like to go swimming)
    @mitchelsimps you can link it so it gives you updates where you are with your calories etc but I prefer to do those things on my phone anyway…
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am still undecided about my Iwatch, I do not like the Health data thing that it puts all your information into its not very user friendly or motivating if you ask me. I use MFP with my Iwatch (there is an ap). I also still have my FitBit which I love and still wear it with the watch (lol). I really wanted the FitBit Surge, but received the IWatch as a gift. I really which it had a fitness community associated with it like MFP does.
  • annaskiski
    Options
    I love my watch for the activity and heart rate monitor . I try hard to fill all 3 circles every day. I feel the calories it forwards to MFP to be more accurate than my old Garmin (just the active, not total calories), so I'm more comfortable eating them.

I've also discovered that I can get my text messages at work, even when I forget my iphone at home lol.
    The watch must have inherited my iphone's network info to my company's wireless network. Since my phone is connected to the wireless at home, it forwards the text messages to my watch lol.

I tried making a phone call, but this failed. I know though that I get phone calls on my watch on the other side of the building (well out of Bluetooth range) when my cell is in my office, so it must work over the wireless. I'm guessing that the latency was too long . (i.e. wireless, internet, wireless)
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I got it for my birthday (December 20). I've been sick, though, so haven't had a chance to try it for workouts. I do like how it pings me to stand every hour and the little fitness circles are cool. There are a lot of things I don't know about it yet and sort of still on the fence. The other thing about it is I have a few other watches that are "pretty" that I like to wear, so I'm not as tempted to wear this all the time. Jury is still out for me to be honest.
  • robert_wing
    robert_wing Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine works ok and the updating to MFP is good, its a shame that mapmyride doesnt update the watch so my watch calories are lower everyday than my actual totals.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since May and I love it! I just had to send it in for warranty repair yesterday and it's the first time I haven't worn it since May and I feel lost, lol! I like that I can record my workouts and I can look back on all of them in the Activity on my phone. I find it to be a great tool for my running. I also like getting my texts and email notifications right on my wrist. I don't feel so tied to my actual phone now that I have access to the important stuff on my watch. I would highly recommend the Apple Watch over any other fitness tracker. I've had a Fitbit and the old BodyMedia arm band. Both I found to be helpful and motivating, but I find the watch to be more accurate. I also like the way it separates active calories from total calories.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    This is a zombie thread but don't buy one now, the Apple Watch 2 is going to come out this year and they are talking about it being independent from the Iphone so you won't need to carry your phone with you on a run and will have GPS in the watch. That's actually why I didn't buy one...
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I got mine as an early christmas present. Love it.

Still use my fitbit, and I've noticed the HR is pretty close between the two.

It's a more accurate calorie burn than the generic "estimate" that MFP or MapMyRide would give, so that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still figuring out all it can do but after just short of a month ... I love the damn thing.