Checking weight

Options
Since I started maintaining I weigh every day which I find fascinating as you can gain one day and lose the next but it usually evens out. Does anybody else do this too?

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Your weight will never be a static number. I weigh myself every morning at the same time (after using the bathroom). It has helped me understand what normal fluctuations are. It would be a good idea to think of your maintenance weight as a range. Most people have somewhere between a 5-10 range.
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    once you are on your aimed weight, it is not that hard to keep it. because to get that weight, you already had some changes and you just keep them (healthy foods) you only adjust the amount. For example, my breakfast has never changed for years. I eat boiled eggs first and i have porridge 1-2 hours after that. So, people can find their regular to keep the weight
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Not every day, but occasionally. Mostly when the previous day the number on the scale is very different from my usual.
    Sometimes I even do it twice a day to see the influence of food consumed for example.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self every day too but I am still trying to lose weight. I like to see what I eat and how it changes my weight. It gives me a insight into what puts weight on for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've always weighed daily for as long as I can remember.
    It's just data to me and allows me to spot trends and understand my normal weight fluctuations. Certain meals, extreme exercise and alcohol are my usual causes for a sudden temporary spike.

Used to have a maintenance range but it's morphed into a more vague and relaxed "around 164lbs", with 161lbs as my target weight for big cycling events and 168lbs as my "intervention weight" or top limit if I see that on the scales for a few days.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm all that fascinated with how much I weigh.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Every day when I have access to a scale. I find it fascinating.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates a great deal. Every once in a while I weigh first thing in the morning and again at bedtime. Yesterday was one of those days. I was 5 pounds heavier at night and woke up 1.8 pounds lighter the following morning. I look for trends based an my AM weight and don't over think the fluctuations over the day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher. I am interested in the things that affect it. I work shiftwork and have learned that backshift affects my weight. I also like to weigh before and after a workout just to see.
    To note - I am not bothered by the fluctations, especially once I learned what affects it.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Water has a big impact for me something if I am retaining water, drinking more water than usual triggers me to flush the excess. Water is also good when BMs get stuck. The day I went from 142 AM to 145 PM to 140.8 the following AM that was what I was doing.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, it has gotten me used to fluctuations. My weight fluctuates by 1-2 lbs daily. When I don't exercise my weight goes up the next day, when I over exercise (don't take a rest day and exercise more than 6 days straight) my weight starts creeping up. Definitely certain foods/meals affect my next morning weight. I just like seeing the number every day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes, in maintenance I mostly weigh daily - it helps me understand my body and its fluctuations...

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well and sync it to trend weight. It evens out the daily fluctuations and allows me to see my weight trends.
  • djc0821
    djc0821 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I no longer own a scale. And when I'm at the doctor's office and they insist on weighing, I ask them not to tell me. I gauge my progress by how my clothes fit and how I feel. If I'm full of energy and my clothes are getting looser, then I'm doing it right. If I feel sluggish and bloated, then I can look back at the food diary and try to determine why. It's usually too many carbs/sugar/sodium for me.