HIIT workout too long?

Options
My trainer put me on a new program with HIIT 3x a week. It seems like the workout themselves are long, and I don't want to overdue it. Is this program OK? Though my endurance leaves a lot to be desired, I'm young in good health and have been lifting regularly for a while.

4mins warm up - Low resistance - Moderate speed

30sec push to the max - High resistance - High speed
30sec recovery - Low resistance - Moderate speed
Repeat last two steps 6 times (7mins total of 30/30)

4 mins break - Low resistance - Moderate speed

4 mins break - Low resistance - Moderate speed

4 mins cool down - Low resistance - Moderate speed

So basically 3 sets of (7x30/30) split with 4 mins recovery between each set.

Is that a good plan?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your abilities and goals are, but if the program fits them, it's fine. If not, then it isn't. Your trainer knows you better than we do.. assuming they're a good trainer.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I just started a regular HIIT routine, so I have been researching this recently, and I have not seen 10.5 mins of high intensity recommended. Doesn't mean your program isn't right for you, but I just haven't seen that kind of recommendation.

I have just started my HIIT routine and I personally am doing this:
    4 minute warm up
    5 cycles of 30 sec max intensity sprinting/30 sec walking/slow jog
    4 minute cool down

I plan to work up to a max of:
    4 minute warm up
    10 cycles of 30 sec max intensity sprinting/30 sec walking/slow jog
    4 minute cool down

My max plan is 5 min high intensity.

Based on the research I have done (much more than what is listed below) I have come to the conclusion that if you are physically able, sprinting/jogging is the best for of HIIT as it allows you to max out and slow down your intensity very quickly.

A good primer on HIIT I found:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    HIIT is at or above VO2Max. Duration depends on the sport and regiment from 30 seconds to minutes with 1:1 or less rest ratio (maintain/exceed lactate threshold throughout the session). Only elite athletes would dare to do more than two per week for short duration blocks (# of weeks continuously).

If you feel like puking or very very winded & point of collapse afterwards, you're doing it right. Otherwise they are hard intervals but not HIIT.

THREE per week sounds like your trainer needs to hit the books or is cashing in. I'm always a bit weary with people that are fast and loose with use of technical terms.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sounds fine to me, obv trainer knows your personal current fitness etc. I do 4 times a week, 20 secs on 40 secs off hill sprints on treadmill for 15-20 mins I hate it, but I flippin love the feeling afterwards. Nothing gets me like that.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "high resistance"?

The routine you posted looks similar in structure to programs like Insanity.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    30 seconds is normally longer than most can all out exert. It is usually 20 seconds.

Seems way too long

20 sec on, 1:40 jiog is my cycle

3 min warm up

8 cycles

3 min cool down

I am dripping sweat and panting

As a point of reference I bike around 100 miles a week at over 18 mph. So I'm in good shape.

Dial back the time and go at it with all out aggression. You should be panting like when you run as Hard as you can for your best 1 mile time.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The work out itself seems pretty normal for a HIIT workout. But I do question 3 times a week. It would be better framed if we knew what your goals were.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    21 minutes of 30/30 is a stretch.

I've run two ten minute HIIT workouts back to back- and let me tell you- the second one isn't really hiit at that point.

14 minutes yes- but 21? that's really going above and beyond in terms of HIIT. And I question the 4 minutes between.

I'd also question 3 x a week- mostly because I did some damage doing pure hiit workouts- I stayed in good shape- but I did some damage to my shoulder because I was hammering my body SO intensely so frequently. You NEED recovery.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    To be blunt it looks like garbage and will probably be counter productive in terms of your fitness (especially given the increased possibility of injury given the set up.)

You say your endurance leaves a lot to be desired (so I am presuming you are relatively untrained) yet you have been given a 1:1 work to recovery ratio and expected to work maximally and expected to increase not only speed but resistance as well in the worksets and have multiple bouts and have a high frequency of 3 times a week and there is no mention of basic endurance work.

What, exactly, is the goal that this set up is expected to achieve?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is that a good plan?

It would be helpful to know what your actual goals are...