Never lifted before can I use a blowflex ?

Options
I am starting to loose weight though cardio and its great but I want to be able to maintain muscle as well as to build muscle, plus lifting will add some thing extra to my work out. I have 2 young ones so found it very hard to get to a gym as there nursery is at funny hours . A friend is giving me there Bow Flex Blaze and I wanted to use that to help with building muscle. Because I have never lifted before I wanted to make sure that I was doing it correctly as well as to follow a good guide. I saw bodybuilding.com was recommended but wanted to try and watch something so that I had good technique to follow. Can any one recommend a program, a dvd , youtube series, a book that might be able to help or if they have time to add as a friend/mentor. I hope to be able to use the bowflex and it not to become a clothes hanger so any tips on using that would be great.

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A blowflex? Are you sure you're in the right forum?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're not going to build muscle in a caloric deficit... losing weight requires a caloric deficit and building muscle requires a surplus - see the problem here?

I would recommend going to the gym and following a beginner barbell program like ICF 5x5 or StrongLifts 5x5 but I know that's hard for you. Is there not some sort of creche at a gym near you?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I physically can not right now. xD
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Can't you just download the bowflex manual and use the exercises listed in there?
    Found this http://build-muscle-101.com/bowflex-exercises/
    And this with just a bit of googlefu http://download.nautilus.com/supportdocs/OM/Bowflex/BFX_Blaze_OM_RevB_web.pdf

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    SimonT181 wrote: »
    I am starting to loose weight though cardio and its great but I want to be able to maintain muscle as well as to build muscle, plus lifting will add some thing extra to my work out. I have 2 young ones so found it very hard to get to a gym as there nursery is at funny hours . A friend is giving me there Bow Flex Blaze and I wanted to use that to help with building muscle. Because I have never lifted before I wanted to make sure that I was doing it correctly as well as to follow a good guide. I saw bodybuilding.com was recommended but wanted to try and watch something so that I had good technique to follow. Can any one recommend a program, a dvd , youtube series, a book that might be able to help or if they have time to add as a friend/mentor. I hope to be able to use the bowflex and it not to become a clothes hanger so any tips on using that would be great.

Bodybuilding.com has a great series of videos, Stronglifts 5x5 is another great site that really stresses the importance of form. You may want to hit a local gym and do a trial period as a beginner and have a professional coach you on form first. Try it yourself, but start slowly and don't overdo it. Seek out advice whenever you need and build up a network.

If you're losing weight in deficit, make sure you eat back your protein macro to help protect your existing muscle mass. You need excess carbs to build muscle, but put that in your long term plan and lose the excess fat first.

Welcome aboard! Some great advice on these forums and I highly recommend you visit the "Most helpful posts" at the top of every forum category.

...and focus on your form. Did I mention the importance of form? Very important stuff, especially in the beginning.
  • SimonT181
    SimonT181 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    A blowflex? Are you sure you're in the right forum?

Won't I get a work out by just moving it and putting it together :wink:

Thanks for the other advise will keep dropping the weight , see if I can do a class , read the manual and learn about correct form