Food weighing?

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You cant lol
    That is what studies posted ...factories and brands also estimate hehehe.
    And a lot of times more in a pack

But your deficit is most of the time large enough to catch that
    That is one of the reasons why studies say that the food logging is most of the time 20% off ( to low).

Only by weighing all your food you can come close...but never know exactly
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    But dont over tink that..when you weigh your food on a scale choose the right entry's your good
    believe me. It worked for all the succesful people here and all the others

Just weigh and log...and your deficit is there and your weight loss too.
  • nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    You cant lol
    That is what studies posted ...factories and brands also estimate hehehe.
    And a lot of times more in a pack

But your deficit is most of the time large enough to catch that
    That is one of the reasons why studies say that the food logging is most of the time 20% off ( to low).

Only by weighing all your food you can come close...but never know exactly

Okay I can ascribe to that. I do exercise as well since I'm looking for larger deficits. My diet has been all over the place lately, with me trying to outrun my fork. Not happening.

The scale ought to help me. If I can learn over time what specific weights of certain food looks like, then when I eat out I can keep better control, I think.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    well burns ( exercise ) is most of the time the other way around...also not accurate but most of the time over estimated
    So food intake is under estimated and exercise over estimated lol

But weighing will help you
    Remember the bigger you make your deficit the harder it will be.
  • nicediva007
    Options
    well burns ( exercise ) is most of the time the other way around...also not accurate but most of the time over estimated

With exercise I use a garmin watch that monitors heart rate coupled with my body stats. I'd say that it's fairly accurate as compared to my polar watch. My deficits are about 500 cals per day (on a good day). Today was a bad day however...no deficit in sight.
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here is a little tip with the weighing I haven't heard mentioned yet. I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out, but it makes life easier sometimes.

When weighing out something like frozen fruit, or dry cereal, rice or something else in a container just put the whole thing on the scale, weigh it in grams or whatever you use and then subtract the amount of grams you want to eat from the total number. Remove some food from the package until the scale reads that number.

This also reminds me of how many servings are left in the container and keeps me from having to put large items on my little scale. It also keeps me from using a second dish when cooking or using my blender. A big pot or blender is just too heavy for my puny scale.

Hope this helps!

Also, you will get so good eventually you will be able to eye out 30 grams of cheese only using the scale to double check. Took me two years, but I can pretty much guess within a gram or two for most items I eat frequently. This helps a lot when dining out.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

With exercise I use a garmin watch that monitors heart rate coupled with my body stats. I'd say that it's fairly accurate as compared to my polar watch. My deficits are about 500 cals per day (on a good day). Today was a bad day however...no deficit in sight.

yes HRM are pretty good, but always are estimations

I have the Polar FT7 and happy with it..its only 16% off of the lab tests.

• nicediva007
    Options
    When weighing out something like frozen fruit, or dry cereal, rice or something else in a container just put the whole thing on the scale, weigh it in grams or whatever you use and then subtract the amount of grams you want to eat from the total number. Remove some food from the package until the scale reads that number.

Hope this helps!

Also, you will get so good eventually you will be able to eye out 30 grams of cheese only using the scale to double check. Took me two years, but I can pretty much guess within a gram or two for most items I eat frequently. This helps a lot when dining out.

That's a good tip! I am really bad about using 800 utensils to get a simple job done so I will remember this little trick!

And, I really can't wait to be able to accurately eye food portions so I can leave some calories on the plate.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Its even easier than that

Put the package on the scale or bow with ingredients
    tara your scale...so zero it out...Now take out your ingredient
    The negative number showing is your amount in grams of the ingredient you took out...no calculating involved at all ;)
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    btw when you scale dont have a tara button...put your package on the scale and THAN put it on. It will show zero too. take your ingredient out and the negative number is again your amount in grams
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oops, I always weigh my salad dressing (grams)...so I've been underestimating cals?

I always weigh it as well.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    depends if it says also grams on the label when it says 30 grams ( 2 tbsp) than no your are oke :)

When not..well yes it could be or not
    You just dont know

When i had a salad dressing i used more regular...i take the tbsp and fill it. wipe the execs off so a flat spoon is the real tbsp...than i put that on the scale and get the amount in grams....now i know forever what 1 tbsp of that particular salad dressing weigh and is in calories...but only for that one. Another salad dressing will have another weight because it can be thicker or thinner.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i love my food scale, unfortunately, it doesn't have a brand name on it. i bought it at either Marshall's or TJMaxx in the housewares section and i think i paid no more than $8-$10. i have had it for years and it still works great. MUST HAVE a TARE feature! and also OZ and GRAMS - must have both. i weigh everything, except liquid, i use liquid ounces. HTH.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be getting a scale that weighs in grams and ounces. they have decent priced ones on amazon and walmart.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have find that square plates make it a little easier to read my scale.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    what i do with my round plates is place a smaller round bowl on my scale and place my plate on that...so it is higher
  • nicediva007
    Options
    Headed out to Wally World right now to get my scale. Amped about what this means for my diet!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they all have these features, but for me the main things are:
    -- digital
    -- switch between grams and ounces
    -- the "tare" function (I didn't even know what it was till I started on MFP)
    -- a dial that you can read without bending down and squinting

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I had a 10 dollar one from Amazon that lasted me a year, however I had some minor annoyances with it because if I put a bigger dinner sized plate on it I couldn't hardly read the scale because the plate would be covering the display. So I opted for this one when that one died and I love it because its so easy to read the display because of the curve. http://amazon.com/gp/product/B005WLPVUG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Oh look, a sledge hammer just accidentally hit all three of my food scales so now I guess I have to buy this beautiful BEAUTIFUL one! :love:

OP, I weigh: fruits, vegetables, grains, flour, meat, thicker liquids/dressings. I don't weigh: freely pouring liquids (as discussed extensively), pre portioned items like bread slices, cheese slices, eggs - I weighed egg whites from a carton when I ate them, bacon. Carrots and cherries may fall under this category as well since I snack on them throughout the day, and weighing one or two baby carrots while preparing dinner is just going to annoy me. Instead for those I tend to get an idea what each one weighs on average and over estimate, and just log by total # of pcs if necessary.

For recipes, I weigh the total cooked yield and record the weight in grams as the total number of servings in the recipe tool. Then I weigh each individual portion for meal logging. So I might record 160 "servings" of peanut soup
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I had a 10 dollar one from Amazon that lasted me a year, however I had some minor annoyances with it because if I put a bigger dinner sized plate on it I couldn't hardly read the scale because the plate would be covering the display. So I opted for this one when that one died and I love it because its so easy to read the display because of the curve. http://amazon.com/gp/product/B005WLPVUG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Oh look, a sledge hammer just accidentally hit all three of my food scales so now I guess I have to buy this beautiful BEAUTIFUL one! :love:

OP, I weigh: fruits, vegetables, grains, flour, meat, thicker liquids/dressings. I don't weigh: freely pouring liquids (as discussed extensively), pre portioned items like bread slices, cheese slices, eggs - I weighed egg whites from a carton when I ate them, bacon. Carrots and cherries may fall under this category as well since I snack on them throughout the day, and weighing one or two baby carrots while preparing dinner is just going to annoy me. Instead for those I tend to get an idea what each one weighs on average and over estimate, and just log by total # of pcs if necessary.

For recipes, I weigh the total cooked yield and record the weight in grams as the total number of servings in the recipe tool. Then I weigh each individual portion for meal logging. So I might record 160 "servings" of peanut soup

Lol, I went to look at that scale also. Unfortunately no sledge hammers fell on my current one. :wink:

Weighing recipes is where I have a hard time. Like for instance, I made crockpot bbq the other day. I cooked chicken breasts in a bit of the sauce, shredded them, then added sauce until it tasted right. I need to figure out how to do that. I guess I could have measured out some sauce ahead of time, added what I needed and then I'd see what was left and would know how much I put in... Hm.. I'll have to try that next time. But, this last time I just didn't eat a ton of it and since it was dinner I just put it down as all the rest of my calories for that day. But that's not as accurate as I'd like to be.