I'm going insane, anybody wanna come with?

Options
Ok, it's been almost 2 weeks (tomorrow) that I've started my heatlhy lifestyle after weighing 130 lbs over what I should be. I get up an hour earlier before work and do an hour of walking on my treadmill which gets me at least 2 miles if not more after my legs wake up. The first week was fantastic, the water weight week. But now, like so many posters before me, I'm at a loss.

When I started I was using the iPhone app so I wasn't aware of the forums. I thought, "hey that subway dude did it and he was heavier than me." So I turned myself to the subway diet. But he was eating a sandwich, bag of baked chips, and a diet soda. My logic was naturally cut out the chips and repleace the soda with water. This will be fantastic.

Then I found out about the forums. I read and read and read them, whenever I had time and even commented on a few myself. I read many like mine, many success stories, etc and so on including the newbies sticky post. Ok I had been reading about people eating all their recommended calories including excercise calories and this thing called "starvation mode". But as I read through the newbie thread and all the linked topics, it started making sense. I didn't want to agree with it, but from a logical standpoint it had merit. Enter my problem.

On the subway diet I was eating around 500 calories a day which apparently is dangerous and you cannot lose weight on it. Ok, I'm not here to agree or disagree with the starvation mode discussion but I do see my body holding onto what it can if I don't eat what I need to keep up daily functions. The issue is I was full all day on water and subs. I did my walking, went to work, at my lunch and dinner and went to be with a self gratifying smile.

Now I have to find a way to force feed myself another ~1000 calories a day, not including the only-eat-natural-sugars / eating-anything-is fine-as-long-as-you-excercise, carbs: to be or not to be and for bleep's sake, are eggs good for you yet or not, arguements. It's mentally negating what I'm trying to do by eating more, because you have to eat more, unless you want to eat a can of vienna sausages and call it done.

There's topic after topic about eating veggies and fruit for carbs and calories and staying full longer. I don't need to stay full longer. So what do I do? I hate feeling full and my job doesn't allow me to have time to eat 6 small meals a day just to kill the hunger. I need calorie rich meals that won't break the bank...... healthy living and money wise.

The excercise doesn't bother me. As I get comfortable with a speed I increase it. 2 m/h was leaving me breathless the first few times, now I can get a steady 2.5 miles in an hour and just keep a comfy sweat going. And it's not overeating. I can go on very little food. It doesn't do it for me when I'm goal oriented. I can just say no. I don't miss it and I don't crave anything. In fact I never even liked sweets or snacks to begin with. My weight came from years of online gaming. Ok, mistakes were made but this is the now.

So where do I go for help on this? Meals that I can get my calories and 2-3 servings a day. Any help would be appreciated and anyone that wants to join me on this quest for a better tomorrow feel free to friend me. I know this takes time, but I also know if I don't get the eating part down right at the beginning it's going to be a rocky path.

Replies

• Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what you're worried about. That you're eating too little? Or that you're not eating the right proportions?

If you're eating the right proportions and you're under your calorie goal, you should be good. Continue to drink water. Exercise. Don't push yourself into a place where you're uncomfortable because you're not eating enough, but if your body says you're full, I don't see the point of eating.

If it becomes a real issue where you become food-aphobic, then I might consider seeing someone for that. But maybe you just are in a state right now where you don't need to eat so much.

If you're just eating too little for general nutrition, consider taking some multivitamins. Err on the side of too much protein rather than not enough (within reason, of course). Drink your water.

You have a pretty adaptable body, and generally if you treat it right (food, exercise, water, sleep) it will tell you when you need more or less of something.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yea, I can't figure out the question either.. How do get in the other 1,000?

Either way... I commend you on your smarts! You did you research and after all that you're asking questions. So refreshing haha!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble similar to you. I really enjoy working out. I don't much enjoy food anymore. I was sick a week or so ago, and wasn't able to eat anything at all. My appetite hasn't come back. I struggle to reach 800 calories a day. My goal is much higher than that. I have seen folks telling me to eat more often through the day, which is fine, but like you, all I have to eat is like a piece of fruit or something healthy, and it is next to no calories. Even eating all day, I am full. I am nowhere near my calorie goal. :(
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The question is: How to fill 1,500 calories a day while making healthy choices.
    The problem: healthy choices during the day are only netting 500 calories, so he needs ways to add calories without adding much food (since he is not hungry).
  • marathonmommy0205
    Options
    I would carry granola bars protein bars and etc to snack throughout the day. They are a bit filling and have the carbs, calories and fat you need. That way you don't have to eat to much and still get the calories you need with your meals. I hope this helps good luck!
  • lunarchaos
    lunarchaos Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The question is: How to fill 1,500 calories a day while making healthy choices.
    The problem: healthy choices during the day are only netting 500 calories, so he needs ways to add calories without adding much food (since he is not hungry).

Yes exactly! Thank you so far for your suggestions but sarah44254 summed it up nicely. How to eat all the calories needed and not rely on junk. It's enough to put the Mad Hatter himself in a padded cell.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what sub do you get that is only 500 calories from subway unless your eating a 6" for the whole day and if that is the case I would be suprised
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat, you can bulk up a protein shake with pb, oats, bananas, greek yogurt, and so on.
    Potatoes, and sweet potatoes, are loaded with carbs, so you could have a regular ole dinner, with some meat, potatoes, and another veggie side if you want, and add a good bit of calories, just eating a regular sized meal.

Just read labels when you go to the store for the higher nutrient contents. Like a 2% milk and yogurt instead of Fat free and so on.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Add in some calorie-dense healthy foods, like nuts, peanut butter, avacados, either as snack or at mealtime - doesn't take long for nuts to add up. Also, try drinking chocolate milk (or almond or soy milk) right after you work out - this helps replace glycogen stores depelted during exercise and build muscle - and its an easy way to add some calories.
  • lunarchaos
    lunarchaos Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what sub do you get that is only 500 calories from subway unless your eating a 6" for the whole day and if that is the case I would be suprised

I was eating from the fresh fit menu. Buying a footlong and eating half at lunch and half at dinner. The veggie and turkey subs are especially low in calories. But a 6" for one meal would yield me 200-350 cals, so 500 cals for me some days but up to 700 others. Get them with no cheese and some mustard and ta'da.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I really only eat three time a day and maybe a snack in the evening if I need to. I have no trouble at all getting in my cals. Make sure you eat breakfast before you leave the house, or at least grab something to go. I like cereal and milk, sometimes adding a banana. You could do an english muffin (whole grain is best) with some natural peanut butter (I like Jif brand, it's low sodium and yummy) or whatever you like. I like my breakfast to have lots of fiber and around 300 cals, but that's just me.

For lunch, if I'm working, I grab Subway. I do one of the low-fat options, (six inch) whole grain bread, lots and LOTS of veggies, and a little dash of mustard for flavor (or honey mustard if I'm feeling sweet), I get the apple slices and an unsweetened iced tea (or water if you prefer). This gets me between 365-455 cals, depending on which sub I get

For dinner, if I'm alone I may grab a Lean Cuisine (I know people don't like them and they are high in sodium, but sometimes it's about more than that and they are easy) and a salad or some fruit or both. Sometimes I'll bake some chicken, or make a serving of spaghetti. Sometimes I have scrambled eggs for dinner... whatever works! This usually puts me around 400-500 cals. This is usually enough for the day, unless I've worked out. That's where snacks come in for me. I may have some extra fruit, or a Clif bar, or Larabar (both these bars are all good stuff and yummy) or I'll have an english muffin with natural PB and organic jelly (yes, it's really yummy) or whatever...

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't HAVE to eat 6 times a day. It's great for revving up the metabolism, but I'm doing great with three meals and one-two snacks. Don't try some fad, figure out what works for you!!! My biggest thing is, do NOT skip breakfast. It's SUPER important to get that body going in the morning... it's all downhill from there!
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The simple fact is that consuming less than 1200 calories per day, without additional exercise, is NOT healthy. Your body WILL eventually turn on itself & begin eating muscle. Your body needs a healthy balance of nutrition to work FOR you. It will find it one way or another, even if it means turning to its own muscle. Your muscle contains the most nutrition, i.e. essential vitamins & protein. When the body turns on itself for the nutrition it needs, a myriad of things start happening. The first thing you notice is not having any energy, feeling run down for no apparent reason. The next is wanting to sleep more often. Then, you begin having problems urinating and having regular bowel movements. The next is incessant stomach cramps. All this is due to your system slowly shutting down...the liver stops working, kidneys stop functioning, etc.

If you insist on eating only 2-3 times per day, then you will (in the beginning) have to get used to feeling full in order to get in your minimum required caloric intake. Eating less frequently you are more likely to feel full longer & all day, if you are eating proper nutrition. You say you don't like feeling full. If this be the case, then eating smaller meals more often will keep you from feeling full. You simply feel satisfied and rarely ever feel hungry. It does require some initial adjustment and conscious effort. To break it down, eating only 2 times per day, you would be consuming a minimum of 600 calories each time. If you were to eat 3-4 times per day, you would consume only 300-400 calories each time. Fewer calories each meal means you won't get as full.

If walking on a treadmill at 2.5 for 2-3 miles a day is all the exercise you get, you are likely burning only 200-300 calories. This is absolutely fine. However, that means you need to be consuming a minimum of 1400-1500 calories per day just so your body has the fuel it needs to function at its optimal level.

The simple fact of the matter is:

1) You MUST start consuming more calories or suffer the consequences.
    2) You are going to have to be willing to make a few more adjustments to your routine so you get the nutrition you need.

Excellent job in doing research and asking questions!!