Getting headaches more often.

Options
I don't know if it's because I am constantly thinking of food, what I'm going to eat that day, etc....or if I am doing something wrong, but since I started coming here and starting my weightloss goals (about 3 wks ago)...I have noticed I am getting headaches much more frequently. I don't usually even get headaches so this is weird.

Any reasons for this? Also want to add, that my eating habits/diet used to SO.POOR before this past 3 wks. I am still eating the same foods for the most part, but really watching portion control.

Replies

• wondrturtle
    wondrturtle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure you are well hydrated? Was this a drastic cut in calories for you? If it is, it could just be your body getting used to working with less calories. It could also be detoxing from a high sugar/high sodium diet. It should subside in a week or so. If it doesn't, go in and get checked out. :)
  • Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    I have got headaches by cutting out caffeine and alot of sugar....
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Could be your getting too much sodium in your diet or not enough water. Make sure you are drinking at least 8 glasses a day. have your food diary track your sodium for you so you can see if your getting too much.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Keep logging your foods, watch your water intake, etc...if you quit drinking sodas that will cause you to have headaches. If it doesn't subside in the next few days - print out your food journal and see your doctor!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I used to get headaches about twice per week; however, in the last 4 months i've only had one and I think it's because I drastically cut back on my sugar intake. Good hydration probably helped me also.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There could be several reasons... caffeine withdrawal, low blood sugar, msg intake in processed foods.
    Monitor when and what you've eaten and consult your doctor about what may be the cause for you.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There could be several reasons... caffeine withdrawal, low blood sugar, msg intake in processed foods.
    Monitor when and what you've eaten and consult your doctor about what may be the cause for you.
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    water water water... Make sure you're keeping track of it at the very bottom of your food diary page. You can use the notes section to log you headaches too so you can go back and see what the relation to your intake of water, food etc. was to your headache.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Okay so speaking from experience and not to cause alarm or get off the subject but.... If anyone ever starts to get frequent headaches that are unexplained (sinus or stress enduced etc) and they continue even with Tylenol or something....go see a doctor!!! My partner had unexplained headaches for almost a year nothing helped and the doctor told her they were msg and exercise enduced headaches. We went to get a second opinion and she had a brain tumor. My partner is now blind from that tumor. So yeah not to scare ya but if they continue better be safe than sorry like us.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so not much I can do there, but I got headaches when I cut back on the caffeine significantly. I also get SEVERE headaches from artificial sweeteners. If you have substituted these in place of real sugar as part of your dietary changes, that may also be a factor. Many people have reported this effect, although there is not a lot of publicity regarding this. Sugar withdrawal can also cause headaches for a time while your body is adjusting to the changes you are making. But, I do agree. If staying hydrated and a tylenol or excedrin aren't fixing it within a few days, I would urge you to do as suggested, grab your food diary, and head to your doctor's office so s/he can check it and you out.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I got headaches when I cut back too far on sugar, caffeine, or carbs. They do go away if you push through it.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I definately cut down on my calories and sodium since starting working out and following mfp. I don't eat alot of sugary stuff and don't use artificial sweetners either. Only drink 1 cup of coffee a day and very rarely drink soda. And I have been drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day..another thing I wasn't doing before.

Good idea about logging the headaches in the journal part! And also about the msg.