P90X and no energy!!!

Options
I just started P90X and I am extremely tired! I have no energy what so ever! Anyone have any tips on how to get more energy? I really want to bring it but I am so not feeling it right now!!

Replies

• ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    you're probably not eating enough honey. P90X is pretty rigorous. You need to make sure you are fueling your body!!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this I have p90x tonight and no energy but usually on these days it just takes a scoop full of Jack3d and back up and going I am
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking a pre-workout mix, such as Jack3d or Fuzion K-akg? Vitamin Shoppe or GNC could recommend a mix that will get you going. Most pre-workout mixes have caffeine in it, that is easy on the stomach. I'm not a coffee drinker so these mixes work better for me.
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep, eat enough of the right calories (whole, minimally or unprocessed foods), drink recovery drinks!

I do my workouts first thing in the morning and I know what you mean about lacking energy. On those days, I have usually had less sleep than normal.. But I make sure I get at least 8 hours. If I'm still dragging, I drink a full glass of water to hydrate, then a bit of complex carbs (oats or granola- not too much!) to get some fuel for my workout.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough. I am on my 2nd round of the program and had to increase my calories and also eat a protein shake after I work out.
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm really busy and sometimes forget to eat a proper dinner (eek I know) and I can TOTALLY feel it in the morning. I can barely do half my scheduled workout. Good meals the night before and for breakfast really make a difference I think.
  • satnat
    satnat Posts: 7
    Options
    diet red bull! (so you don't crash.) and be sure to take plenty of vitamins. don't be afraid to take several multis a day. watch your iron and b12 intake too (get enough of them!). capsules are better than tablets, and food-based is better than synthetic. also consider taking powder supplements. my immune system's improved since i started taking vibrant health greens powder about 2 months ago :)
  • aathom11
    aathom11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am going to go check that out tomorrow!!
  • KeiKeiStar
    KeiKeiStar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are likely not taking in enough Carbohydrates. Carbs are the bodies preferred source of energy and you should increase your CHO intake as you increase your physical activity. It's whats gonna fuel your workout. Also be sure to replenish by drinking water before, during and after your workout.

I am interested in PX90. I would love to hear your feedback about it. If you are working out strenuously, around 65% of your calories should come from Carbs.

Hope this helps!

Let me know :-)
  • KeiKeiStar
    KeiKeiStar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As well, you have to increase your overall calorie intake!

If you are eating a well balanced diet (adequate amounts of fruits & veg (different colors to ensure you are getting a variety of vitamins/minerals), grains, pro, and yes fat), there is no need for supplements. It's right there in the food.

Good luck
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey Chica,
    Are you doing the low carb recommendation for the first part of p90x? If so, and you're either just beginning the program, or you have a relatively low BMI, that's probably your problem.

On another note than most people have been saying, I really am only raring to go before exercise like 1/10th of the time. Most of the other times I just have to take a deep breath and force myself to do it. I usually feel better once my heart rate gets up, and I get into the work out. I feel a ton better once I'm done. Sometimes you've just gotta do it anyway.
  • vryanz
    vryanz Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi! Good for you starting P90x, it's a trip, but you wont ever be sorry you did it! I am starting week 4 of round one on monday (after starting a few times and not making it that far!) I'm pretty excited. Just hang in there!
    Anyway, about your question, are you following the nutrition guide and doing the diet? You figure out what your requirements are as far as what stage you are in and your calorie needs. The first stage of the diet is low carb. Each stage adds more carbs. You may have a few problems. The first problem you may have if you are going low carb, are you getting ENOUGH carbs at the right times? On the other hand, TOO MANY carbs can make you feel lethargic. Follow the guide. Second, are you getting enough calories? Other problems include lack of sleep, and not drinking enough water. I would toss the caffeine idea, as it can augment how you truly feel that day, so that it is much harder to adjust your nutritional needs (and trust me, I'm a caffeine lover!) I had the same problem, and it just took some time and trial and error to get it right.
    Hope these tips help!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    More than likely you aren't getting the calories you need. If you provide some basic information, we can calculate it and if you need help please let me know. There are two ways to do it, both are close but if you know your body fat, it will be more accurate. If you don't know your BF then if we can have yoru age, weight and height we can calculate your BMR (feel free to send me a private message if you don't want do this publically), add in exercise calories and back off the deficit. To put it like this to you. When I don't really workout I eat 1800 -2000 calories to maintain weight. When I did chalean extreme I ate 2500 to lose weight. When I restarted p90x for a second round, I now eat 3000 calories to lose weight. Changing your body composition (losing BF and inches) is about 50% workout 50% eating.

Also, if you can make your food diary public, we can evaluate your food and where you may be off. Let us know but you should never really be feeling drained. If you do, i bet it's your diet. And this is speaking from experience.