Giving up smoking

Options
alizeepa
alizeepa Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hey guys so I've lost over 10 kilos in 5 months yay! However I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago and I'm hungry all the time and eating more than usual. I'm so scared I'll put the weight back on :( any advice? Many thanks x
Oh and by the way I'm at a healthy weight now, so don't need to lose anything but would just like to maintain. I'm 5"7 and roughly 10 stone

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum might help. I chew Extra which is 5 calories for 2 chiclets, 30 cals for the whole pack.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Suck on cinnamon sticks.
    I replaced smoking with exercise.
    Eat lots of fiber, protein and good fats
    Sugarless gum

Congratulations on kicking a deadly habit!
    I've been quit 11+ years now!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular cigarettes to mint flavored e-cigs earlier this year, and am now transitioning to gum as a replacement for the e-cigs. It hasn't been hard so far, but I am not sure when I will finally, completely cut the cord.
  • kholder306
    kholder306 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I switched to vapor/ecigs 2 years ago and started exercising daily. I have lost 96 pounds so far (only 5 from BMI goal!). I wouldn't have been possible while still smoking tobacco as I would get out of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Not having the nicotine cravings while doing the lifestyle change made it tremendously easier.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ate more when I quit smoking. It's the hand-to-mouth habit. It's hard to break!!

Try to stay busy and do something else for hand to mouth when you need it. Some people use toothpicks. I used a straw.

Eventually, you break the hand-to-mouth habit. It's worth breaking!!!

Personally, I'd rather put on five pounds and lose them again than pick the smoking back up. Don't start smoking to lose weight!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to quit for some time now...the thought of quitting stresses me out so bad that I need to have a smoke...
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes 5 years ago by switching to my ecig which I still use, and just slowly bumped down the nicotine level over time. So I never had to give up my obsession with sticking a cigarette in my mouth and fighting to not replace that action with food or gum or whatever. I'm preparing myself to give it up all together when we start trying to have a kid. The hand/mouth behavior is going to be a *kitten* to stop :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    @healthygreek Cinnamon sticks! No one ever told me that one. It's genius, I would have loved it!

9 years quit. I took up crochet, personally. But also sucking on dum dum suckers, chewing gum, and sunflower seeds that I kept in the car to suck on and deshell with my tongue while driving.

GRATS ON QUITTING, OP!!
  • threedogswc
    threedogswc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in the quit process now. If you call the national quit line they will send the patch for free. As nutty as this sounds one thing that helps me is straws. Especially in the car as something to play with chew on etc. I cut them to cigarette size. Sugar free lollipops and finding anything to do with my hands. Good luck. Tough to do but totally worth it.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    try some nicotine gum or lozenges. And slowly cut back on doses. I quite smoking about a yeay and a half ago, and about 2 or 4 months later was off the nicotine gum.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bravo for quitting!
  • alizeepa
    alizeepa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys you are great!