Is BMI really a joke?

Options

Replies

• FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Here's a link to an article published in The Lancet (well respected Medical Journal) . It describes a study undertaken by members of the Division of Cardiovascular Diseases at the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16920472?dopt=AbstractPlus

Of the people studied, those in the "Overweight" BMI category (BMI 25-29.9) had the lowest risk for total mortality (0.87 [0.81-0.94]) and cardiovascular mortality (0.88 [0.75-1.02]).

In other words, in the study, the "Overweight" category had the best cardiovascular health! (Better than those in the "healthy" range.)

The people responsible for the study said this "could be explained by the lack of discriminatory power of BMI to differentiate between body fat and lean mass."

It's worth noting that the study did show that the extremes (BMI less than 20 or over 35) did show increased health risks.

I guess the bottom line is that the "healthy" BMI range of 20 to 25 is an arbitrary range and should not be taken as an absolute measure of whether or not you are at a healthy weight.

Unfortunately, the health insurance companies like it because it's easy to calculate.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    To me, you don't look unhealthy or skinny, but you do look quite thin and very muscular. I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I'd be concerned that having such a low body fat percentage might be unhealthy for you as a woman. If you thought you needed to lose weight, I'd definitely be worried about you, but you look strong and healthy. I think it'd be best to discuss it with your doctor, and not go by generic charts.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    So I have been given lots of advice about what happens when your about a healthy BMI but may still be very healthy but with a high muscle mass. However not many people have commented on what happens when your UNDER the healthy BMI scale! Is that fact that it just isnt reliable for being over the healthy range a reason to discount it when your under it?
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    GOVERNMENT PROPAGANDA , just to put another label on us........Most medical professionals laugh when the topic of BMI is brought up

Its an out date source of data that the Government used years ago , its a joke...........Im in the best health, run and exercise up to 3 hours, and it tells me " Im prone to bad health" Yeah right

I have a tendency to listen to the medical community on this one.........its a joke..........Lloyd
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    OK I get the whole muscle thing and making athletes appear to be overweight when they clearly arent but what about the opposite end and being under the healthy BMI.

Are to still ignore it then or is it something I really need to be aiming for? I work out 6 days a week and do heavy weights 3x a week. My profile pic was taken 3 weeks ago so you can see I am not super skinny and that I look healthy so do I need to be adding these extra 7lbs to be within a healthy BMI or can I just stay as I am and still be healthy? I dont mind trying to gain the weight if thats what is needed for me to be healthy but I dont wish to do it if its not necessary because BMI is generally inaccurate and should be ignored.

If I were you I'd get my bodyfat tested (via a bodpod or someone *well trained* in using the caliper method. Don't bother with the scales that measure bodyfat). If you have a healthy body fat % then I wouldn't worry about putting those 7 pounds back on, but if you're at the bottom or under a healthy bodyfat % for a woman, then you should look at working to put those 7 pounds back on...

Body Fat % will be a much better way than BMI for you to gauge if you're at a healthy place or not.
  • someday_soon
    Options
    body fat percentage done by a professional is a much better way to assess your body mass/fat/weight health as opposed to bmi. like people said, bmi doesn't appreciate the difference between a pound of healthy muscle and a pound of unhealthy fat.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, just to put the BMI in perspective... I am technically "obese" according to BMI but I don't actually qualify according to my doc, as my body fat % isn't high enough, and according to my pant size (I'm a 12 US). My boyfriend, in contrast, has the same BMI as me but has 6% body fat. He is def not obese as he has skinny little chicken legs! hehe I think the BMI is a great measuring stick, but it has serious flaws. I think you should go more on body fat % and body measurements as a more accurate way to measure body health.
  • schnarfo
    Options
    Where do people go to get bf % measured? Im pretty sure I couldnt go to my GP for it
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Where do people go to get bf % measured? Im pretty sure I couldnt go to my GP for it

Usually local gyms have people who are trained in doing the skinfold (caliper) method. If there is a bodpod location near you, it's accurate and not too expensive: http://www.bodpod.com

Here is a good website explaining the different methods and the pros/cons of each: http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/bodycomp.html
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I got mine done on a machine at the chemist. Or you could try the gym. Your body fat should be 17% or above for your body to function as it should. Less than that and you could get fertility problems. Models can go down to 12%, but that is very unhealthy. Being underweight also puts you in danger of osteoporosis.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BMI is not always accurate because a 6' man that weighs say 260 or more could be a man that is very muscular or more fat on his body. BMI has no way of knowing whether your body weight consists of fat or muscle and the same for a woman also. So no it is not completely accurate.
  • schnarfo
    Options
    I thought the handheld machines were as inaccurate as the bathroom scales with bf% on them? Lol I dont think id trust the staff at my gym they seem kinda clueless! There is a sign for one of the personal trainers to do a health check though including blood pressure and bf% so I guess Ill contact one of them and see about getting it tested.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I thought the handheld machines were as inaccurate as the bathroom scales with bf% on them? Lol I dont think id trust the staff at my gym they seem kinda clueless! :D x

Even they are going to give you a rough idea. Better than nothing.
  • supershiny
    Options
    Since you asked for an example of someone under the BMI scale, I have one friend who weighs 75 lbs and is 5'. She has a really small frame compared to me (I have wide hips and chest, hourglassish). She is a tiny beanpole with a waist of 17". However, she has a healthy BF %, gets her period regularly, and is constantly eating to keep her weight level. Her mom is the exact same, so I think she is pretty fine as is. You look like you have a pretty small hips/waist so I am guessing the BMI won't be accurate for you too :)
  • schnarfo
    Options
    Since you asked for an example of someone under the BMI scale, I have one friend who weighs 75 lbs and is 5'. She has a really small frame compared to me (I have wide hips and chest, hourglassish). She is a tiny beanpole with a waist of 17". However, she has a healthy BF %, gets her period regularly, and is constantly eating to keep her weight level. Her mom is the exact same, so I think she is pretty fine as is. You look like you have a pretty small hips/waist so I am guessing the BMI won't be accurate for you too :)

My waist is 24 and hips 31 and yup my periods are regular so I must have enough body fat lol
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    So I have been given lots of advice about what happens when your about a healthy BMI but may still be very healthy but with a high muscle mass. However not many people have commented on what happens when your UNDER the healthy BMI scale! Is that fact that it just isnt reliable for being over the healthy range a reason to discount it when your under it?

I think it may be more accurate if you are under only because it seems you would have very little body fat if you are under and from the looks of it you have muscle tone. So if it is saying your under my guess would be it is accurate but that doesn't necessarily mean you are unhealthy. Like alot of the earlier posts, the besst way is to get the skin fold done or there are machines that accurately test for body fat. My college just put one in their gym. Call around to local gyms see if anyone has it. Not sure what the name of it is those maybe someone else on here might???
  • supershiny
    Options
    My waist is 24 and hips 31 and yup my periods are regular so I must have enough body fat lol

Yeah, 24 is small! haha you are fine. As long as you aren't hungry/have a huge calorie deficit and are getting your period, you are a-okay! :) congrats on the great bod yo! Also, interesting factoid, my doctor has told me about the optimal waist/hip ratio and yours is super close! It is .7 and yours is 24/31=.77
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BMI is a guideline.
    It's common for athletic people with more muscle mass than fat mass to be "obese" according to the BMI, when really it isn't the case.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you have your periods, do not lose you hairs by the hand full, or faint all the time you would be ok. I would also see go see your doctor and have blood work done to be sure everything is in order.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think that the BMI is flawed. First, BMI was designed by a mathematician not a doctor. Second, like other have said it doesn't take into account body type, body fat, etc. If you have Netflix look for Penn & Teller's Bullsh!t. They have an episode about why the BMI is flawed. Also here is a link to a blog written by one of my friends about BMI....very eye opening....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CoryIda/view/why-your-bmi-doesn-t-really-tell-the-whole-story-105302