Loose skin after weightloss-tips and suggestions?

Options
Hi all,
I have recently reached 100 pounds lost. I am very proud of where I've been, where I'm at and where I'm heading. I still have between 20-40 pounds before I am in a healthy range for my height. I am beginning to notice early signs of loose skin and want to get any feedback on others prevention or improvement with this problem before it worsens. I recently purchased some skin firming lotion and am looking in to essential oils. Any other tricks of the trade? Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Time. Give it time. When you're done losing, you'll very likely feel like a mess. Just give it a year and most of it will improve. Also, you'll be the only one noticing it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Time, genetics and you have age on your side. There is no magic creams, so save your money. WTG on an AWESOME job!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Good job, I hope you are proud of yourself, that is a lot of hard work! As for the loose skin I will watch your thread, but everything I have read seems like most products are just scams, and don't do a whole lot. I think time and exercise are your friends in this case.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As someone who spent years in the beauty industry I can tell you that skin firming lotions (actually any skin lotion) will replenish moisture only into the upper dermal layers. Continued use will keep your skin supple but can't actually repair the skin. Use a loofah in the shower to stimulate circulation and slough off dead skin then apply the lotion while you're skin is still slightly damp to achieve the maximum absorption. Loose skin (also my big fear) takes time and genetics to bounce back. Sometimes not as much as you would like. Loose skin presents itself when weight is lost very quickly as opposed to over a longer period as the skin has more time to adjust as time passes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I believe that what many people describe as loose skin is fat that still needs to be lost. Bat-wings, jiggly thighs, belly roll, etc, it's all mostly fat. I say that as someone who has lost 100 with 50 left and still have all of these features that people describe as loose skin. When I get to my goal weight, I'll see what's still there, but honestly, I'd rather have a little loose skin than a lot of fat.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a little lose skin but not much but i find weight training helps a lot. I'm not sure if you excersise but it helps if you can oh and congrats that's a lot of weight to say good by to.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Oh well done you on your loss and continued success.

Like @LiftingforLis has said it is time, genetics, age that will be the ultimate arbiters on how much loose skin you are left with after such a big loss. I lost about 160 lbs started late 40's and thankfully I have very little loose skin problems....It is really only noticeable when doing planks/pushups etc....but then I have had 2 kids and have underlying abdominal muscle tearing which I am not inclined to get operated on for so I just live with it.

As for creams and such.....good moisturising is always beneficial for your skin, many swear by Bio-oil for helping with stretch mark scars but I wasn't a fan, I preferred a cream with Vit E. Many swear by certain multi-vitamins that help with skin elasticity, seek the advice of a Pharmacist if you think you would like to try some, there is dry-brushing (loofering with the brush dry before showering to stimulate blood supply to the area).....another thing that may help is staying out of the sun as much as possible. I have read conflicting 'feels' type articles about a light tan helping with the appearance of stretch marks etc but the Sun is pretty drying...personal choice come into it with all these ideas.

Lifting as heavy as you can is great too....and I wish I had started earlier and heavier than I did.

All the best.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Loose skin after losing 80+ lbs isn't unusual. Retraction (if any) will depend on genetics, age, and exposure to the sun in most cases. I usually tell clients who've lost a lot to wait a year and reassess once they've reached their weight goals.
    Creams, moisturizers, dry brush, wraps, etc. are temporary results if any. Many spend up to a $1000 or more a year using products that don't do much to dermis reduction.
    Surgery is the typical way people have to go to reduce loose skin if it bothers them that much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AmyRosebud1984
    AmyRosebud1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! I appreciate the support, encouragement, and words of wisdom. I'm so glad I'm beginning to access the wealth of knowledge within these forums. Hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day.