Whats the best exercise

Options
Ive been doing pilates daily sometimes combined with something else most days I researched online and apparently its not good for fat burning although it is good for melting inches and toning up. Afew people have said I look like ive lost weight but the scales havent moved. What would you all say is the best exercise? Anyone do any home dvds? What do you find has the best results?

Replies

• ReginaPosillico
    ReginaPosillico Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google "bodyrocks" great trainers/ideas/and workouts daily
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do pilates once a week - not for fat burning purposes but because the difference it's made to my flexibility and core strength in just a couple of months is amazing. I count my pilates day as an 'off' day, and do cardio/strength training on the other days of the week. That's usually 4-5 gym sessions on cardio equipment (elliptical, rower or bike for 30 mins) plus 20 mins on the weights. I also do 1-2 classes a week, often BoxFit, spinning or similar. The routine is suiting me right now, but I may replace one or both of those with a HIIT workout instead in the next couple of months.

The thing is, 10 different people will tell you 10 different things as to what is the 'best' exercise, but really, what it comes down to is 'what do you enjoy doing?'. If you don't like the exercise, you won't stick with it. Find something you love, and do that. Your diet will take care of the weight loss, do exercise for enjoyment, the inch loss is just a welcome side-effect of enjoying your time doing this!
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i abolutely adore body combat i do it from home on you tube videos ive also just bought a dvd from ebay
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting...builds muscle..burns fat. What's not to love?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Best results, aesthetically? For me, weight lifting. I've never done much body weight training but I bet that would produce great results too. As far as cardio goes, that's never done anything for my physique. I lost fat through a calorie deficit.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you will do. That answer is going to differ for each person. For myself I enjoy bike riding, weight lifting, walking or running.

Find what you enjoy and what you'll stick too there's lots of options
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd say weight lifting / strength training combined with a calorie deficit gives the best overall results for how you actually look. You can probably lose weight faster with other cardio based exercises but hanging on to as much muscle as possible during weight loss will give you fab results.

And maybe throw some cardio in there for some extra calorie burn and to give you better cardio fitness.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've found for weight loss and inch loss - weight's are best. I do a mix of body weight exercises and lifting weights. I do this 3-4 days per week, I also swim and run to build up cardio fitness and I do yoga for the flexibility and to build more strength in my core. As others have said, it's all down to personal preference. Although I'm not as fussed on the number on the scales aslong as I can see the improvements in my body by losing inches I'm not overly bothered.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The one you enjoy! Some people say weight lifting and some say cardio. However if you don't enjoy it you'll never stick with it.

Personally I find weight lifting boring. Cardio is my thing and I feel so much healthier for it. Running, insanity, swimming etc........
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you will do. That answer is going to differ for each person. For myself I enjoy bike riding, weight lifting, walking or running.

Find what you enjoy and what you'll stick too there's lots of options

^ This.

find something that you enjoy and you will stick with it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for fat burning or are you looking for muscle strengthening? I find swimming to be the best for fat burning and it also strengthens all of the major muscle groups. If you only have time for one exercise, it is the way to go. The only thing it doesn't do is targeted strengthening
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts. The best exercise is deadlifts.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, minimal cardio and eating in a deficit will burn fat and shape your physique like no other combination. Totally depends what sort of look you're after though and what sort of exercise you enjoy. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing pilates daily sometimes combined with something else most days I researched online and apparently its not good for fat burning although it is good for melting inches and toning up. Afew people have said I look like ive lost weight but the scales havent moved. What would you all say is the best exercise? Anyone do any home dvds? What do you find has the best results?

You want to lose weight ...eat to a calorie defecit ...it's all about the food

Pilates is a great exercise, great core strength (if done properly although lots don't engage their core properly so lose a good 80%) it will not burn fat or melt inches ...no exercise will

Best exercise for getting tight and taut is progressive resistance (strength training / weight lifting)

Best exercise for calorie burn is steady state or HIIT cardio

Best exercise for fat burning is fork put-downs and plate push-aways
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Deadlifts. The best exercise is deadlifts.

.? Just deadlifts?
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Compound exercises are the best and they are for lazy people ( you can workout more than 1 part of your body with them) But, if you ask favourites, mine used to be chest press. Now, dead lift. It feels great to lift heavy weights on dead lift. Good for glutes, hamstrings and back
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I find weights really hard and often lose my form with them after so many. I'll try more cardio and I'll be joining the gym next year so I'll be able to start swimming again :) thanks everyone!