Very low carb diet

has anyone tried a low carb diet, being 50 carbs and lower I have just started a few days ago and seeing great progress but I wanted to hear from others?

Replies

  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,270 Member
    Lots of folks have tried and are using a low carb approach. There are even few groups here dedicated to low carb lifestyles. Many who've seen great (like 100LB) losses.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    I'm vLCHF too. The Low Carber Daily forum in the previously mentioned post is a very good place to look for more low carbers.

    I'm glad you are doing well on it. :)
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    My diary is open. I do low carb below 50 grams 4-5 days of the week and refeed on the weekend.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,161 Member
    I stay under 50 grams of carbs about 99% of time. While I have lost another 30 pounds my objective was to manage my pain levels without starting Enbrel injections and I was successful. After about 6 months my 40 years of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) was cured. I plan to stay under 50 carbs daily for the rest of my life based on how I have improved over the past 11 months. Best of success.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm not doing low carb and have lost 35 lbs in 4 months. Do you want to hear from me?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm not doing low carb and have lost 35 lbs in 4 months. Do you want to hear from me?

    Probably not!!!

  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    i have done low carb and lost weight! however the kicker is to make sure that you stick with it and do not give into binges because they go bad really fast. I already don't eat carbs like potatoes, bread, or rice and sugary things however my biggest issue came from eating pizza on the weekend which lead me back down a destructive road. I also was trying to go too low on my carbs (20g) and that didn't work. Now I am doing no more than 50 g and it is great! and easy to stick to. Typically (because I don't think I can give up pizza and tacos forever) my day goes like this:

    Breakfast:
    eggs, bacon or sausage (Eggs usually scrambled with cheese or boiled) 4 grams carb or less

    Lunch: Salad Or sometimes I meal prep veggies (just veggies because I hate other warmed up food or leftovers). 10 carbs or less but usually half is fiber

    Dinner: dinner I never cook potatoes or rice, but I will eat tacos or something with more carbs that still fit me under 50. But for the most part I will have meat and veggies. If I want higher carbs I will eat tacos or, something fried.

    50 carbs or less it totally sustainable!

  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    I stay under 50 grams of carbs about 99% of time. While I have lost another 30 pounds my objective was to manage my pain levels without starting Enbrel injections and I was successful. After about 6 months my 40 years of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) was cured. I plan to stay under 50 carbs daily for the rest of my life based on how I have improved over the past 11 months. Best of success.

    congratulations, man...what a huge burden to have freed yourself from.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    all i can speak from is my own experience, but i think - over the three months or so that I've been doing this - that i've been much more successful in dropping weight when i've made a conscious effort to drop carbs from my diet.

    i still avoid bread, rice, potatoes, and pasta like the plague, but i occasionally eat protein bars that have (what i'd consider) to be an elevated carb count...but the bars are only 170-190 calories a piece, so it seems negligible. I've also developed an addiction to Kroger Vanilla Carbmaster Yogurt - 8 ounce servings with only 5 grams of carbs per serving. A 32 ounce container has four servings and a total of 20g of carbs...and earlier this week, the day after a weight training day at the gym, I ate a whole container in one day...and had ZERO remorse. :)

    all told, i've dropped 41 pounds since memorial day weekend, and i don't know if i could've done it strictly with CICO...i think limiting the carbs was totally necessary.
  • Cgarcia214
    Cgarcia214 Posts: 60 Member
    tyoung8 wrote: »
    i have done low carb and lost weight! however the kicker is to make sure that you stick with it and do not give into binges because they go bad really fast. I already don't eat carbs like potatoes, bread, or rice and sugary things however my biggest issue came from eating pizza on the weekend which lead me back down a destructive road. I also was trying to go too low on my carbs (20g) and that didn't work. Now I am doing no more than 50 g and it is great! and easy to stick to. Typically (because I don't think I can give up pizza and tacos forever) my day goes like this:

    Breakfast:
    eggs, bacon or sausage (Eggs usually scrambled with cheese or boiled) 4 grams carb or less

    Lunch: Salad Or sometimes I meal prep veggies (just veggies because I hate other warmed up food or leftovers). 10 carbs or less but usually half is fiber

    Dinner: dinner I never cook potatoes or rice, but I will eat tacos or something with more carbs that still fit me under 50. But for the most part I will have meat and veggies. If I want higher carbs I will eat tacos or, something fried.

    50 carbs or less it totally sustainable!

    That's great I'm so far successfully staying under 50 carbs and have not slipped,crossing my fingers.
    That meal plan looks very doable my biggest thing is skipping meals when I get too busy. I need to work on it
  • Cgarcia214
    Cgarcia214 Posts: 60 Member
    hamptontom wrote: »
    all i can speak from is my own experience, but i think - over the three months or so that I've been doing this - that i've been much more successful in dropping weight when i've made a conscious effort to drop carbs from my diet.

    i still avoid bread, rice, potatoes, and pasta like the plague, but i occasionally eat protein bars that have (what i'd consider) to be an elevated carb count...but the bars are only 170-190 calories a piece, so it seems negligible. I've also developed an addiction to Kroger Vanilla Carbmaster Yogurt - 8 ounce servings with only 5 grams of carbs per serving. A 32 ounce container has four servings and a total of 20g of carbs...and earlier this week, the day after a weight training day at the gym, I ate a whole container in one day...and had ZERO remorse. :)

    all told, i've dropped 41 pounds since memorial day weekend, and i don't know if i could've done it strictly with CICO...i think limiting the carbs was totally necessary.

    Great thank you for the reply! I too avoid anything like bread or pasta. I'm sticking with a lot of protein and some veggies and side salads. So far so goo first week low carb and I have dropped four or five pounds. I'll have to look up the Kroger yogurt!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I've been following ketogenic lifestyle, that is low carb high fat (LCHF), for about a year now. So far I have eliminated 112 pounds. My diary is open so feel free to friend me. When I want bread, I either make it home from healthy flours and healthy fats, or I buy low carb bread from a reputable low carb company. I prefer the low carb bread from LC foods. Although I am not Italian, I very much grew up and was raised on pasta so I would not be able to get by without eating pasta; however, that said, I eat shirataki noodles when I want pasta. Shirataki noodles is a type of faux pasta which I find more believable and convincing and more enjoyable than squash or zucchini noodles. I typically eat under 50 total carbs on a daily basis and agree with a previous poster that it is totally doable and very easy to keep to on a daily basis. I didn't start out doing that, I kind of had to ease myself into it because when I first started I didn't really know what I was doing. When I started I set my limit at 100 carbs per day and I stuck with that for about a month. The second month I moved my goal down to 75 carbs a day and did that for a month. And by the third month I set my goal to 50 carbs a day.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    I eat 50-100 but do long cardio sessions or 30 mile bike rides that burn all that out and end up at net zero

    It does work but I follow calorie counting

    I would say to always look at calories too. I do low carb to make my body source fat as fuel during long cardio sessions.

    I never bought in to eating limitless calories as long as they were low carb.