Healthy ideas for meals

Options
grstorm
grstorm Posts: 28 Member
Hello all,
I've been working out and while I have made improvements to my eating it hasn't been enough. The dr put me on a strict diet and all I can think about are the foods I can't eat! If you have any ideas for filling meals I'd appreciate them. I know veggies are good for me but I'm not a big fan however I do want to get on the healthy track so any input is appreciated. Also I can't cut out dairy.

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,162 Member
    Options
    Look at the Cooking light website....Or Hungry Girl ideas for filling snacks. Make oatmeal with extra water---It pumps up the volume. Do you have beans (black beans, and the like?) They are filling because of the fiber/protein. What about cabbage slaw mix with some chicken chunks, seeds and a little dressing? Eat protein in snacks (maybe a few pistachios) with an apple? Or a little hummus with a portion of wheat crackers? I get ravenous if I don't include the healthy oils! Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The Eating Well website also has some good recipes. Soups and stews and chilis are a good place to start adding more vegetables. I like adding celery or zucchini to bulk up the volume for very few calories.
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You want stuff with lots of water, fiber, and/or low fat protein. Seconding soups and stews as said above, particularly soups and stews with beans and veggies. Popcorn is good although you have to look at the nutrition label and find one that might be lightly flavored but isn't soaked in fat (or make your own).

If you don't like the taste of veggies, I recommend trying to experiment since a) they're really nutritious and b) they're pretty much key to getting a filling meal. What don't you like about them - taste, texture? Have you tried them fresh steamed rather than from a can? I recommend investigating the fresh produce section of the grocery store - there are so many veggies with different tastes and textures, see if there is one that appeals to you. Steamed/microwaved sliced carrots might be good because they are so sweet - or microwaved frozen sweet corn. Or steamed/microwaved snow peas. All very mild flavored. You might be a supertaster who is more sensitive to the bitter flavor in certain vegetables like brussels sprouts, but that would apply only to a small subset of vegetables.

You can also throw veggies into other recipes. Make your own tomato pasta sauce from scratch and throw some extra chopped tomatoes into the sauce, maybe even some zucchini.

As was said above, oatmeal is also good, and you can throw some blueberries into the oatmeal as well to add nutrition.

I'm also a constant advocate for low salt low fat cottage cheese because it's so filling. It's nice to eat with chunks of pineapple.

Hungry Girl is good for investigating how to reduce calories in a recipe but sometimes she also uses a lot of weird chemical stuff (artificial sweeteners, margarines, etc, and those expensive muffin top things she promotes). I try to avoid a lot of that artificial stuff because it doesn't taste the same as what it's replacing anyway. But she does have good tips like using applesauce to replace fats when making muffins, etc!
  • grstorm
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm looking forward to learning to make healthy meals that are filling. I also need to avoid chemicals and eat as naturally as possible.
  • grstorm
    Options
    bkate24 wrote: »
    You want stuff with lots of water, fiber, and/or low fat protein. Seconding soups and stews as said above, particularly soups and stews with beans and veggies. Popcorn is good although you have to look at the nutrition label and find one that might be lightly flavored but isn't soaked in fat (or make your own).

If you don't like the taste of veggies, I recommend trying to experiment since a) they're really nutritious and b) they're pretty much key to getting a filling meal. What don't you like about them - taste, texture? Have you tried them fresh steamed rather than from a can? I recommend investigating the fresh produce section of the grocery store - there are so many veggies with different tastes and textures, see if there is one that appeals to you. Steamed/microwaved sliced carrots might be good because they are so sweet - or microwaved frozen sweet corn. Or steamed/microwaved snow peas. All very mild flavored. You might be a supertaster who is more sensitive to the bitter flavor in certain vegetables like brussels sprouts, but that would apply only to a small subset of vegetables.

You can also throw veggies into other recipes. Make your own tomato pasta sauce from scratch and throw some extra chopped tomatoes into the sauce, maybe even some zucchini.

As was said above, oatmeal is also good, and you can throw some blueberries into the oatmeal as well to add nutrition.

I'm also a constant advocate for low salt low fat cottage cheese because it's so filling. It's nice to eat with chunks of pineapple.

Hungry Girl is good for investigating how to reduce calories in a recipe but sometimes she also uses a lot of weird chemical stuff (artificial sweeteners, margarines, etc, and those expensive muffin top things she promotes). I try to avoid a lot of that artificial stuff because it doesn't taste the same as what it's replacing anyway. But she does have good tips like using applesauce to replace fats when making muffins, etc!

Thanks, I did look at her site and saw some tasty options. As far as taste, I do prefer to steam I just don't always take the time to do it and can't figure out what to mix it with for taste. I avoid canned veggies. I try to get frozen that doesn't have anything added to it. I just don't make them consistently so I buy them and then they spoil in the fridge because if I have an option I don't go for the veggies. Unfortunately those are not choices I can make anymore. I just have to plan better to ensure I am not starving and willing to eat crap instead of making some good veggies. I appreciate the info!
  • grstorm
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    The Eating Well website also has some good recipes. Soups and stews and chilis are a good place to start adding more vegetables. I like adding celery or zucchini to bulk up the volume for very few calories.

I'll try that. I did pick up some zucchinis and I have made them like a pasta which is yummy too. I tried to add it to my garden but only got one, which was delicious by the way.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Thai Chicken Wrap
    1 whole grain flatbread or tortilla
    2 Tbsp Thai peanut sauce, spread evenly
    2 to 3 ounces chicken
    Top with broccoli slaw mix.

Tasty, filling and about 300 calories or less.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have some basil and rosemary growing on my windowsill. They are great flavor boosters and go really well with zucchini. Also find a good Adobo (without MSG). It is a wonderful all purpose seasoning.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    grstorm wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I've been working out and while I have made improvements to my eating it hasn't been enough. The dr put me on a strict diet and all I can think about are the foods I can't eat! If you have any ideas for filling meals I'd appreciate them. I know veggies are good for me but I'm not a big fan however I do want to get on the healthy track so any input is appreciated. Also I can't cut out dairy.

Without knowing what is allowed on the strict diet or what you are trying to avoid, it's a little tough to give ideas but here are some good lower calorie recipe sites:

cookinglight.com, eatingwell.com, skinnytaste.com, allrecipes.com, food.com, foodnetwork.com

Some of those aren't all lower calorie, but have lower calorie sections.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Protein, fat, and fiber are filling. I'm getting fiber from fruit, nuts, beans, grains, and veggies. I replaced the Sodium column in my diary with Fiber.

• grstorm
    Options
    Hello all,

Without knowing what is allowed on the strict diet or what you are trying to avoid, it's a little tough to give ideas but here are some good lower calorie recipe sites:

cookinglight.com, eatingwell.com, skinnytaste.com, allrecipes.com, food.com, foodnetwork.com

Some of those aren't all lower calorie, but have lower calorie sections.

Hi, sorry I wasn't specific. Here's the Dr's orders: Avoid sugar, processed foods, white rice, bread, and pasta. I can have brown rice and whole wheat products but only 1/2 a cup. The rest of my plate has to be veggies and a lean protein (about 4 ounces)

I can have eggs, berries, dairy (thank God or I would have been over the edge by now!). I can only have two slices of whole wheat bread a day. I also exercise 5 days a week in the gym.

So basically using that model I eat:

Whole wheat flatbread, egg, cheese sandwich

Berries in yogurt (0% greek)

Salad for lunch (sometimes made from Trader Joe's or greens with leftover rotisserie chicken)

nuts, cheese snack

Veggies, grain and lean protein dinner

last snack

I prefer steamed veggies. I can't grab a carrot and munch away. I have been sautéing the veggies and mix it with the grain I'm allowed in dinner.

I'm in the early stages of my third pregnancy and I'm really worried about when the baby get's bigger and the cravings hit but I do know that the way I ate before (sugary, processed foods) led to cravings as they aren't the kinds of food that keep you full. Between pregnancies I've yo-yo'd and I'm tired of that because I always end of gaining weight back. Before I found out I was pregnant I was back to exercising and slowly starting to watch what I ate. Since the dr's visit I cut out all eating out and had to stock up on what was allowed.

The websites everyone has shared have been very helpful and I'm looking at trying to get the rest of my family to join in.
  • grstorm
    Options
    I also need portability. I wake up at 5, drive an hour to gym by work (helps me avoid traffic build up while getting fitness in) and work from 8-4 sometimes 5 then commute back home. If I don't bring enough food, it's a catastrophe for me lol.