Personal Trainers?

Options
Would you or have you benefited from having a personal trainer? How much would you/have you paid to have one?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I found all the help/information I needed for free on the Internet. So personally wouldn't pay for a personal trainer.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The university I work at has a club for staff and faculty that includes a full gym including free personal training for $40 a month. I am considering taking advantage of that in the near future.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've used two personal trainers. One was through my gym - $85 a month for six months, and the other was through Thumbtack - $50/month for 2 months while I was getting ready to get certified myself.

Both were helpful. The personal attention was good for specific information and keeping me accountable.

I've had two clients myself who both found me helpful to reach some goals they had.

It's a matter of personal preference. Whether you do it yourself or use a professional trainer, the reality is you still have to do the work yourself.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    i have worked with two personal trainers. For me, they have been incredibly beneficial. They push me beyond whatever limits I thought I had....Through working with my first trainer, I slowly increased my cardio on my own and she worked with me to make my initial dietary changes. With my second trainer, we made more dietary tweaks and he now has me lifting heavy in addition to being able to target some of the smaller muscles (that in turn support the larger muscle groups). I pay about $40 per hour and have been doing approximately 2 sessions of personal trainer per week. LOVE it!
  • khenrickson65
    khenrickson65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have personally never had one and started studying to get my cert thru nasm but never had time to finish. That was years ago and since then, life happens. There is a wealth of info on the net though for people. Having a trainer can be motivating for people and it holds them accountable for their progress. They can help you learn and guide you in the right direction. I think someone with no fitness or nutrition knowledge should try and good trainer for the first couple months. Hate to say it though, theyre like the internet. You gotta find the right one with the right information. Most are good though.
  • khenrickson65
    khenrickson65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hate to be judgemental but when im at the gym and see a PT thats sloppy looking (seen a female one about 230lbs @ like 5 foot 3) or lacks dicipline to help themselves, no go. I dont even have my cert but I do have a wealth of knowledge to help. I always have people asking me fitness/nutrition stuff and I hold myself accountable to set the example. As a trainer, your body is your advertising IMO. Set the standard and show your potential clients what you are capable of by being healthy and fit yourself.
  • TeishaBue
    TeishaBue Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was really helpful :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I personally learn better from in person sessions, so as much as I found internet searches helpful, the six months I spent with a personal trainer was far more beneficial for me in terms of learning, comfort in the gym, and adapting to new situations. My trainer was great and always willing to explain the whys of a thing which I found useful, and only recorded my measurements rather than weight for progress. When she moved I did not continue with another trainer because she had taught me enough to be comfortable on my own now.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think it can be useful for a session or two to develop a routine and learn to use the equipment (my workplace offers this kind of help for free, pay for ongoing "training" sessions). After that it should really be up to you to be accountable and keep to your routine and workout schedule.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've had three. First was great when I was participating in sports. Sadly not so good when I became ill and needed to coax my fitness back. Second rubbish. Luckily he left.
    My third and present one is great. I wasn't keen at first as when previous guy left with no warning I felt I had been offloaded onto him. However he has turned out to be cool. Does seem to make workouts fun.
    Sadly there are bullying issues (again) at this gym so am leaving.