Clean eating recipe ideas?

hello everyone I'm new here and I started my clean eating diet 5 days ago. I need some recipes, I got a few off of Pinterest but every time I look for more it's the same things all over again.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    That's the thing about clean eating, it is limiting. Expand your horizon by eating in a deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Bring home some pork chops, ground turkey, chicken thighs, beans and all sorts of veggies: broccoli, yellow squash, onions, green beans, tomatoes, asparagus, bell pepper, cucumbers, egg plant, cauliflower, butternut squash acorn squash, kale, garlic.
    Cook the meat in a frying pan or in the oven or on the grill. Lightly steam, bake, or grill the veggies. If you wish, eat them the meat with a tiny bit of quinoa, rice, or pasta.
    Look on YouTube for demonstrations
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHx_b5KA0
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    I don't think that clean eating is limiting. You can eat what you like just making substitutions for the processed stuff... for example, I no longer eat pasta but I have found a fab substitute made with chickpeas and water (that's it), which is half the calories, much lower carb and clean. And it looks and tastes like pasta. That's just one example but the point is the same for everything. I substitute quinoa or sweet potato for white rice depending on the dish, I've even found a clean ice cream as a treat made with coconut milk! :)

I know a lot of people on here don't approve of clean eating and say that eating at a deficit does the same job. However, I can only go from personal experience and say this. When I have eaten at a deficit before, my weight never went below about 117lbs. With clean eating, and I'm now eating at maintenance, I'm 110-112lbs depending on the day. And I can eat far more without gaining the weight back. So I would say that eating the right stuff does matter, for me it does anyway.

Feel free to add me if you want support / to share recipes etc x
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't think that clean eating is limiting. You can eat what you like just making substitutions for the processed stuff... for example, I no longer eat pasta but I have found a fab substitute made with chickpeas and water (that's it), which is half the calories, much lower carb and clean. And it looks and tastes like pasta. That's just one example but the point is the same for everything. I substitute quinoa or sweet potato for white rice depending on the dish, I've even found a clean ice cream as a treat made with coconut milk! :)

I know a lot of people on here don't approve of clean eating and say that eating at a deficit does the same job. However, I can only go from personal experience and say this. When I have eaten at a deficit before, my weight never went below about 117lbs. With clean eating, and I'm now eating at maintenance, I'm 110-112lbs depending on the day. And I can eat far more without gaining the weight back. So I would say that eating the right stuff does matter, for me it does anyway.

I been maintaining for almost a year now, eating 80/20, moderation. It doesn't matter what you eat as long as your eating at TDEE, if you eat in a surplus you will gain and in a deficit you will lose, there is no magical way of eating, CI/CO that's what matters.

OP you will find tons of recipes on line.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »

I been maintaining for almost a year now, eating 80/20, moderation. It doesn't matter what you eat as long as your eating at TDEE, if you eat in a surplus you will gain and in a deficit you will lose, there is no magical way of eating, CI/CO that's what matters.

OP you will find tons of recipes on line.

Sorry, what I meant was that I feel like I eat loads more as my portions of healthier food are bigger (albeit lower calorie). Agree you need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. But I have found that changing my way of eating has helped in other ways in addition to just weight loss - for example I was on meds for migraines before which I no longer need. I also feel better in myself and my skin / hair look better. But what works for one doesn't always work for another. I don't eat clean 100% of the time, I just do my best to use whole foods in my cooking and opt for unprocessed food when I can. When I go out for dinner or if someone else is cooking for me (not that often), I don't worry too much and just enjoy what I eat :)
  • heidi_marie_
    heidi_marie_ Posts: 1 Member
    http://rivernorthpaleo.blogspot.com/2012/03/creamy-crockpot-chicken-and-tomato-soup.html?m=1 The tomatoe soup part is to die for. I just added the chicken, so we'll see how that ends up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463846418252/

Try modifying your search terms. You might try gluten-free, paleo, vegan.
  • murrluvsya
    murrluvsya Posts: 9 Member
    I'm a fan of clean eating! Well as much as I can possibly be. don't get me wrong I am only human and crave some fast food and potatoe chips. Here's the thing about "clean eating": you're body is not meant to process fake food. When you put fake food in your body it has a hard time recognizing what it is so often times it stores it for later till it can figure out what to do with it. That's why, for the most part, you're body will process raw clean food quicker because it recognizes it. Also anything synthetic over a long term use could be a leading cause to health issues later i.e. cancer. Instead of using sugar try using honey or agave. It's natural sugar. For carbs stick with sweet potatoes or legumes (beans & lentils). I just found a quinoa pasta the other day which was ok. My favorite things lately is chia seed putting with honey pecans and strawberries and sometimes half a grapefruit with honey and cinnamon. It kicks the sweet tooth. As starting off as a clean eater I wouldn't go all in right away. Try to slowly start making life style changes like staying away from the frozen food section. Buy raw veggies and meat from the butcher.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    what is your definition of clean?

I cook a lot and prepare my meals from scratch, whole ingredients...just buy a bunch of whole foods and start cooking. during the week it's usually some kind of protein seasoned or marinated on the grill, a grain or starch, and some kind of veg sauteed, roasted, or steamed...that's most of my meals.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Dirt + mud + sticks. Blend until thick consistency.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    I eat a lot of stews in the crock pot. Most of my recipes would be considered "clean" (ridiculous term, BTW) except I buy cans of diced no salt added tomatoes for my stews because I do not have the time to blanch, peel, and dice whole fresh tomatoes, and the canned ones are cheaper (ingredients on the can: tomatoes, citric acid). Buy meat and veggies. Add herbs and spices. Voila' !! You have a "clean" meal.

I refuse to use the term "clean" because it doesn't tell anyone anything. It is impossible to avoid "processed" food. Even if you make most of your foods from meats, veggies, and whole grains like rice or quinoa, any seasonings, sauces, purchased stock, etc. is "unclean" because you did not make it yourself from individual ingredients. I refuse to make my own worchestershire, mustard, chili powder, vinegar, soy sauce, etc. I do not have the time or the inclination. I do occasionally make veggie or chicken stock and freeze it. I do make my own pasta because it is easy and a batch can be made in the time it takes the water to boil. Flour, eggs, and olive oil. That is it.
  • PetiteBonbon
    PetiteBonbon Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi,
    I am not quite sure if I understand the meaning of "clean diet" correctly.. But if it is what /cwolfman/ says (quoted bellow), I would definitely agree that it's far from limited! There are loads of recipes of salads with fresh fruit for desert, or salads with fresh raw vegetables that can be added as garnish to steamed / grilled / oven baked chicken breast, salmon fillet, other meats, you name it.. Not always food has to be with melted cheese and cream..
    Maybe try to spend some time experimenting with cooking, and it doesn't have to be something difficult. It is exciting also because you actually know what you're eating :)
    Good luck! :)
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what is your definition of clean?

I cook a lot and prepare my meals from scratch, whole ingredients...just buy a bunch of whole foods and start cooking. during the week it's usually some kind of protein seasoned or marinated on the grill, a grain or starch, and some kind of veg sauteed, roasted, or steamed...that's most of my meals.