I Need Help!!

Options
Ok guys...so heres the thing....I was doing really good for like two weeks. I had lost 9lbs and then memorial day weekend came around....and with all the bbq's and my moms and my brothers birthdays...there was alot of food. At first I didnt do too bad...but as the days went one I kept slipping further and further away from my diet. Last time I weighed myself I had only gained a pound but that was a few days ago and I havent weighed myself since cause Im scared lol.
I know I need to get back on the waggon and just do what I need to do but its just hard to get motivated. I love to eat and I hate depriving myself and I know that I can still eat things in moderation and still lose weight but it seems that whenever I eat a little bit of the things that are not so good for me....its hard to stop and I have to have mooore.
So what do you think guys?? Should I just try and keep my potrions small (which is not really working) or should i just avoid tempting foods all together?? I know I want to lose weight and be healthy but its just so hard sometimes...I guess cause I find so much enjoyment in eating. Help me!! Once I mess up its really really hard for me to get back into it. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you guys over come it??

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• snakegoddess_3
    Options
    Ok I have/had this problem. You have to get back on the wagon and you know you want too or else you wouldn't be reaching out for help. Here is what I recommend everytime someone has this problem, allow yourself a junk day. Get it all out of your system and that way your not depriving yourself. It's like a reward for being good. If you can't just stop at one day then I say avoid it all together or start working out like a mad woman to keep up with your eating habits. You have to do the work and you have to find out what works for you. I will only allow myself something if I am doing my karate and will burn it off, it will fit into my calories or it's on my junk day. Another option is finding the foods you like in a lower calorie version. I never thought I would eat reduced fat chedar cheese but it's not so bad. Just remember it's all up to you...it just depends on how bad you want it
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ok guys...so heres the thing....I was doing really good for like two weeks. I had lost 9lbs and then memorial day weekend came around....and with all the bbq's and my moms and my brothers birthdays...there was alot of food. At first I didnt do too bad...but as the days went one I kept slipping further and further away from my diet. Last time I weighed myself I had only gained a pound but that was a few days ago and I havent weighed myself since cause Im scared lol.
    I know I need to get back on the waggon and just do what I need to do but its just hard to get motivated. I love to eat and I hate depriving myself and I know that I can still eat things in moderation and still lose weight but it seems that whenever I eat a little bit of the things that are not so good for me....its hard to stop and I have to have mooore.
    So what do you think guys?? Should I just try and keep my potrions small (which is not really working) or should i just avoid tempting foods all together?? I know I want to lose weight and be healthy but its just so hard sometimes...I guess cause I find so much enjoyment in eating. Help me!! Once I mess up its really really hard for me to get back into it. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you guys over come it??

Thanks in advance!!

I understand what you're saying, it sounds like you're over eating. You shouldn't just avoid food. When you avoid it, your urge for it is more. It's about portion control. Remember you're "learning" how to lose weight, it's a gradual process. If you try to do it all over night, it will cause too much stress on your body and you'll end up rebounding. Like if you wanted to lose weight quickly and you didn't eat for a few days. You're eventually going to gorge and over eat big time. This is just an example of too much stress on the body, try to take away your goal from "losing weight" and focus on a healthier life style. If you do this weight loss will come automatically.
  • chocrktct
    chocrktct Posts: 8
    Options
    That happens to me also at holidays or when I go out. The worst thing is to see that you are over in your calories for the day. My theory is that even if you over eat, still record everything because then you are able to see your behaviour patterns. Once you see them before you, you can correct them. It's like using a debit card and not looking at the receipts compared to paying with a check and recording everything. It's right before your eyes. I fell off the wagon at a reception last week and my brother got me back on. He joined MFP after me. It is good to have an accountability partner.
    Don't worry, it's not how hard you fall but how high you bounce back after the fall.
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love food....obviously :laugh: I keep my freezer stocked with Weight Watcher desserts to curb those sweet cravings. Ive learned over the years that when i try to cut myself off from things completely - i fail. The important thing to keep in mind is that this is a long process but a healthy one. I have two small children and they are what keep me going in many ways. My son is 7 and constantly asks me why i am the only "non-skinny" one in our family. I also have an 18month old little girl and i want her to grow up to make the right choices and not have to struggle like myself. Dont throw what you have accomplished away becuase of one bad weekend. I KNOW it is hard but mind over matter!! In the end you will be happy you stuck with it i promise! Good luck to you!!
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the wagon and have the small portions of what you like. Also if you are not exercising start doing that so then you can have more to the items you like.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in diets. I believe in a lifestyle change. I believe in eating in moderation and having anything that I want, as long as it fits into my daily calories. Portion size is the key for me. I also like to follow the food pyramid.

So drosario1204, I would suggest that you go with portion control. Have things in moderation.
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    The thing that works best for me is having one evening a week (for me it's Wednesdays) where I can eat literally whatever I want. That way, whenever I crave something during the rest of the week, I don't think 'oh god I can never eat that again it'll make me so fat' (which only makes me want it more!), I just say to myself 'not long till Wednesday!' and eat something else. Then, come Wednesdays, I eat really well during the day, make sure I get plenty of fruits, veges and protein, then come home and give in to a week's worth of cravings. The best thing is that I'm usually pretty full from eating well all day, and most of the cravings have gone away, so I don't binge nearly as badly as I would if I ate that crap every day. I still go hundreds of calories over my goal every Wednesday, but given that I know for me that if I let myself have 'just a little' of my favourite foods whenever I wanted I'd go hundreds over my calories EVERY day, it's worth it :)
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    You really got to do what works for you. I have been on my "diet" since May 1st. I am a big guy who loves to eat. I had to learn what portion sizes were and what not and find foods that I could eat more of and still be healthy and fill me up. I eat a lot of chicken, shrimp, salmon, turkey right now (staying away from red meat for a while) and lots of fruits and veggies. A lot of days I eat the same thing for several days in a row, but I am ok with it because it is giving my body the fuel I need as well as filling me up. After a few weeks I became less hungry in between meals and snacks which made it easier. Memorial weekend the party was at my house so I was able to plan stuff to make myself happy as well as our guests. I didn't have a few pieces of pizza over that weekend , but made sure to stay within my goal. Keep working at it, and it will get easier!

Dave
  • supermom4abcd
    supermom4abcd Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have "trigger" foods. These things make me go bonkers. Otherwise, I've found that I do best without limiting things. If I say I cannot eat ice cream, then even though I don't normally eat ice cream it will be all I want. I work with a 63 year old woman who has never been over 125 lbs. in her life, except pregnancies, and I've learned that she will make adjustments in her day to accomodate foods she loves or dinner plans. It is definitely a lifestyle change. Good luck getting back on track. You're in the right place to make serious changes and have tons of support.
  • drosario1204
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I know I need to get back on track. I really want this, I feel sooo good when I eat right and exercise...but old habits are hard to break. I know I need to keep working on it and I will. Tomorrow is a new day and Im really going to turn my eating habbits around!!
  • jhandley27
    jhandley27 Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh man, I know the feeling. I have a really big sweet tooth, and it can be pretty hard sometimes not to have certain foods I really like (chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is my weakness). Like what others have said, what I do is just practice portion control. I still let myself have ice cream and some little sweets every now and then, I just try to keep the amounts I eat a little on the smaller side. If you have problems doing that, one thing that I have found helps me is to drink a LOT of water throughout the day, especially when you want to over eat. If I want a snack or I'm getting ready to eat lunch or something, I'll start drinking water before I eat and keep drinking it throughout my meal as well. It curbs my appetite so that I don't over eat and so I can be satisfied with my smaller portions. The only things I have cut out completely is fast food and other things that are just flat out bad for me, but I honestly don't really miss them that much considering how much better I feel without them. Everyone is right, completely denying yourself things usually leads to you wanting it more and binge eating. If you want something that isn't particularly the best thing to eat, you can also try to plan what else you eat throughout the day around it. If you want to have something "bad" or even if you just know you want to have a big dinner, just have smaller meals throughout the day, or eat a little more healthy throughout the day so that you can have what you're craving for dinner.

Don't be discouraged because you had a bad weekend. I'm sure a LOT of people had a bad weekend! lol Do you weigh yourself every day or do you have a weigh in day each week?
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    I am SO there with you! Personally I can't just avoid those foods all-together because I then feel deprived and then I don't want to stick to ANY healthy choices. So instead I try to have something CLOSE to what I love. For example - my biggest downfall is baked goods. Donuts, cake, cookies - you name it, if it comes out of the oven & is sweet, I drool! So I have some things that are reasonably close. Like I buy those 100 Calorie cookie packets. And I buy the "Sweet & Salty" granola-type bars. I have to feed my sweet-tooth or it will rebel in a BIG way.

Another tip that I've heard works very well (tho I've not put into practice) is to either brush your teeth immediately after eating or chew gum. Because as long as that flavor is still on your tongue you're going to crave more. You have to get that flavor of the savory, tempting, not-good-for-you food OUT of your mouth ASAP.

You CAN do this!! You're worth it!! *Hugs*