Please explain Calorie Adjustments

Options
Hi,
Can someone explain why calorie adjustments are necessary? When I previously logged workouts with Map My Walk the calories burned would be added to the total calories I could eat, but now I have two sets of figures under exercise: a positive amount and a negative amount (eg: 171 and -171). And exercise shows up as "0" in the formula.

Would appreciate it if someone could clear things up for me. I tried reading up on it to no avail.

Replies

• AimeesFitness
    AimeesFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump. Same question.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    When you connect an activity tracker like Fitbit to your account, MFP adjusts your calorie goal to the difference between your Fitbit burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.).

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, MFP adjusts your calories every day to TDEE minus deficit. With them disabled, you never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level. (But negative adjustments never put your goal below 1,200 calories.)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    SinDeLiv wrote: »
    When I previously logged workouts with Map My Walk the calories burned would be added to the total calories I could eat, but now I have two sets of figures under exercise: a positive amount and a negative amount (eg: 171 and -171).

Click on each adjustment in your diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it—and which partner app it's coming from.

Also, verify in the app that MFP is using the correct step tracker. Go to More > Steps in iOS. (I forget what it's called in Android.)