Stressors and triggers

Options
So I just walked in the house from talking with my ex and made a B line straight for the kitchen almost in a panic to shove food down the hatch as quickly as possible, I didn't! But that impulse was so strong and so instinctual it sort of scared me. We were married 13 extremely contentious years the last 2 of those living separate but I gained almost 60 pounds during that time. So many of my painful emotions I ate away. I have been very aware of this the last 5 years or so and divorced almost 3 years, yet just that interaction with him still triggers me. I know many of us here are emotional eaters. Have any of you found helpful ways to deal with those triggers? How do you face them and stay on track? I handled it ok today but I have years of practice under my belt now. Problem is we have 3 kiddos together so I have years more of interactions to deal with.

Replies

• _Butterflies_And_Chaos_
    Options
    Oh, you and I are pages out of the same story book! :) I've been divorced a little over 2 years... 2 kids... and sometimes, I'm not always successful at avoiding the food binge after being around my ex. You did very well not eating your emotions... I know from experience how difficult it is to walk away from that impulse, and so I hope that you are giving yourself the credit that you deserve <3

I work at a school, and one of the psychologists on staff suggested meditation to me... I raised my eyebrows at the thought of doing it, but I tried it and was surprised to find that it helps a lot with anger and the destructive behaviors that come from that dark place.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this... hang in there and remember that you can only change your actions, not your ex's...
  • jbirdy76
    jbirdy76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Meditation is a good idea.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If what you're feeling isn't hunger, food will not make you feel any better. Brainstorm non-food ways to make yourself better. My list includes guilty pleasure TV, walking outdoors, and getting a massage.

And I second meditation. I use free apps + took a mindless meditation class. Yoga is great for stress, too. I want to try tai chi next.

If you binge, log it accurately & honestly, forgive yourself, then let it go.