? Yoga ? Help!

Options
Ok I am almost 40 male not in great shape but tired of waking up stiff and sore. I have been told by my chiropractor and others that I should take up Yoga or Palates. Which I have dismissed for years as I don't get where to start or how to get into these types of exercise.

I don't want to go join a class.... I would like to stream a video or buy a DVD but where to start to many choices. (Ideally stream from Amazon or Youtube).

I don't wish to get spirituality from yoga but rather flexibility.

Is Yoga, Yoga or is it different for men/woman as our bodies are different?

Do you buy a Video and repeat it daily or purchase a few and mix them up?

I have found it hard to find good information on where to start, how to start and what to do on this topic. Most of the information I have found has shared the benefits which I want but lack the how to get started information.

So where should someone start?

Thanks so much for your response and help!

Replies

• nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded a couple of apps and do those at home.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I attend a class with a very body aware instructor that leads us through the movements very slowly so that we get used to the muscles and tendons that are being affected. Slower is harder and more effective. I just ignore the spiritual aspect. I have seen significant gains in flexibility and mobility.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do yoga regularly - it is great for flexibility and strength. There are many different kinds of yoga. Men and women can and do practice the same kinds of yoga. Our bodies do have some difference (e.g. shape of pelvis) which may have some impacts on exactly how a pose looks but everyone's body has individual differences anyway. Two people doing the same pose won't look exactly alike.

I would start with hatha, yin or vinyasa yoga. Search for beginners. A lot of youtube channels will also have separate videos explaining different poses. Yoga is quite personal, if the teacher in the channel annoys you, find another one!

I would also really encourage you to attend a few beginners classes at a local studio at some point just to ensure that you're learning the alignments correctly. Yoga isn't risk free and you can injure yourself if you're not doing it properly.

Here's a video for beginners. It's basic but gives a good break down of central poses.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHjJdGIdnlA

Another one for beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE

This is a foundation of flow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-ayBIRRHs

These two youtube channels are my favourites. They're not spiritual but they do emphasize focus, breathing properly etc.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Male instructor by the way. He likely puts us through more hips and abs exercises because that is often more concerning to women, but the exercises can be done by any sex. He mentions that his well attended class at the men's prison that the weight lifters often struggle to lift their arms straight over their heads (temple and mountain poses).

I think core exercises are important for everyone.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    This is Tai Chi but I like the pacing of this instruction video. It also improves flexibility.

http://youtu.be/7D7qAQ720x8
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I think you can practice the same movements for months and continue to gain benefits, concentrating on improving form.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I love watching Arthur's transformation. I tear up every time.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/41271653

Arthur followed DDP Yoga videos at home.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/high-energy-ddp-yoga-workout-burn-fat
  • TJRinMn
    TJRinMn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been practicing using http://yogastudioapp.com/ for a couple months and love it. This is available for both iOS and Android. I do believe there is one free session, but for 4 bucks, you can access the entire library. They have different sessions focusing on strength, flexibility, balance and my favorite - combination. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced as well.

IMHO, this is by far the best yoga app/practice I've found online and is worth every penny. You can download the sessions so you don't need an internet connect - great for when you are on the go.

The first couple times, you do feel a bit silly, but after about a week, you really start to feel the difference. Now, my day just doesn't seem right unless I do my practice first thing in the morning - great for loosening up the kinks and releasing stress, building strength and tone. And, just an FYI, I'm a 48 yo male.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want a class, but going a few times with a knowledgeable instructor can really help you modify moves so you can get the most out of what your doing. Knowing how to modify also helps you avoid injury.

And yes, men do yoga both at home and in classes.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I took a hatha yoga class at a community college that was taught by a male math teacher! I've used some of Rodney Yee's dvds before, and I know he has a lot of beginner videos out there.

I also shy away from any talk of "the divine," but I do use yoga for mental exercise, as well as physical. I let go of any thoughts of what I could be doing instead of yoga, as well as any thoughts of being mildly uncomfortable from exercise, and replace them with positive reminders that I'll be less cranky if my body feels better. Of course, if something really hurts, you can't just think it away, so take a break!

BKS Iyengar was one of the most infuential yogis of the modern age (that sounds really lame, but the rise of yoga in the west is actually called the modern age of yoga), and the style he developed might be something you want to look into. Iyengar yoga focuses on proper alignment, and encourages the use of props to achieve the best stretch for your body at the moment. Steer clear of kundalini and anusara. They're big on chanting and opening the chakras.

Most classes end with something called the "corpse pose," where you make like a corpse and decompress. It's arguably the most difficult pose because all you're "doing" is breathing and paying attention to your body instead of your inner monologue. It's easy to want to skip it, but give it a fair shot on a regular basis, at least. We all deserve a break from our critical brains for a few minutes a day, right?
  • jennyylee
    jennyylee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have DDP yoga. I'm trying to get back into it but it does work. My brother in law lost 10 lbs and ithelped a lot of his back issues it about a month. I'm just trying to get off my butt to do it. I think yoga has so many more benefits and realized. DDP yoga is almost a cardio yoga.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info!