Hair & menstrual loss, cold and pale yellow after weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 kg over 1.5 years. So it wasn't sudden weight loss. When I was losing. I believe I was eating about 1400 - 1600. Before I started again I believe I was eating about 1800 cals.

Now I'm bulking so averaging 2100-2200 cals. I don't track v accurately cauae I eat out often. But I'll just key in similar food items from other restaurants.

I did a full body check up including blood tests just 2 months ago. No issues with thyroid and slightly off readings with liver. But doctor didn't have any concerns... I believe it's a hormonal imbalance... I can tell from my vascularity in my arms,too lean?

Usually for macros. What will be a good fat intake for ladies? I'm averaging about 60g minimally to 80g. should I increase it?

so 2 months ago your liver was showing signs of imbalance and now your yellow but refuse to go back and have the doctor run more tests on your out of sync liver?

GO BACK TO YOUR DOCTOR NOW

we can not help you, you have a medical issue that requires medical treatment

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    You're yellow. That's not right. Go to the doctor.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You need to back to the Dr ASAP. If the yellow tint to your skin is jaundice then you have an underlying medical issue which could be very serious. And if the Dr you saw before didn't have concerns, then get a second opinion.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just had blood work done and my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. My Dr. was ALL over it. I had to make some changes and have to have another round of blood work in a month. He also told me to call immediately if I had any symptoms, including jaundice.

Go see your Dr! And if he doesn't follow through get another opinion!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP, I'm thinking there will be no other advice for you here besides: GET TO THE DOCTOR. I hope you will do it. Oh, and not the quack doctor who told you that what you're going through is normal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I just had blood work done and my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. My Dr. was ALL over it. I had to make some changes and have to have another round of blood work in a month. He also told me to call immediately if I had any symptoms, including jaundice.

Go see your Dr! And if he doesn't follow through get another opinion!

The yellow tinge is most concerning, combined with the test results. I'd go back to your doctor or find another who will follow up more closely. This might not be fixed by diet alone.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Your body fat is DANGEROUSLY LOW for a female and is the root cause of the SERIOUS medical problems you're experiencing. I hope you reach out and get the help you need as I suspect there is way more going on here than you've written.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Your body fat is lower than essential fat for women, and your doctor was not concerned? You need a new doctor...
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    OP, the fact that you're posting your question here indicates that you do not trust your doctor's opinion that everything is normal and nothing is wrong, and I think we all share your distrust.

Please find another doctor SOON!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You really should be followed by a doctor till these symptoms alleviate. A DXA scan can more definitively assess your body composition as compared to bio-impedance scales.

The measurement of bodyfat was done at an established hospital I fasted 8hrs before, so i believe it will be the most accurate. I measured at 9.2% bodyfat. which kinda scares me.. I am planning to go to a gynea very soon.

Do you have an actual scheduled appointment with your GYN or are you just planning to make an appointment?

• Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will schedule an appointment next weekend! Thanks all for the concern. They have ruled out jaundice as well as my blood test results were negative. Actually I'm pretty much like a healthy individual.just that my periods is my key concern and hair loss. As most of you said, low body fat is a key concern. I am going to increase my calories from today onwards.. Hoping to reach 52 kg by end of this year.... That's about 4-5kg.
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've been near this range, but I would lose my period at anything below about 18% bf. I echo the advice to see a doctor, 'yellow' is serious.

How did you get your body fat measured? Tanita machine? How did you increase your body fat? Just by putting on more weight? How was your energy level then? and period?

Keep in mind that this was more than 25 years ago so I'm a little fuzzy on the details: I mentally gave myself permission to eat more of whatever I felt like and gained 5-10lbs because I thought I was too thin. It was estimated by caliper skinfold measurements as part of a study at the U after the gain at which point it was around 21%. I don't remember how the 'before' estimate of 17-18% was taken: also from the U somehow but I don't recall the method. When I gained the weight my period went back to normal and I stopped having these low blood pressure/fainting-like episodes.

I never noticed any problem with energy before or after: I was fencing competitively at the time. I was mostly concerned about the low blood pressure. FYI - my doctors never said "oh you're too thin" I just deduced that on my own and gained the weight. Boom: problem solved.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nobody is qualified to diagnose you online. If you want to know what is wrong with you, go to the doctor.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for anemia? I have a friend who has to have frequent transfusions because of anemia. You can tell when she needs one as she will turn yellow.
    I googled pale/yellowing skin and there were 26 different causes listed. Some listed were anemia, low weight, dehydration, vitamin b12 deficiency, and gallstones.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The hospital scanner is a
    Hi! As the title says I've been experience hair loss, coldness, I look pale yellow and period loss.

I am at a bmi of 19.5 it's not underweight, but all the symptoms of underweight won't go away. I've had not had my period for 1 year and my hair loss is becoming pretty bad. Any advise?
    I'm now eating about 2000-2200 calories. Going on a lean bulk. For my height and weight it's a lot. 5'2" and 105 lbs, it's pretty Alot. My body fat % is also low for females. My hospital scan using the inbody media machine had me at 9.2%, but the tanita machine had me at 15-16%. Hence I averaged it to be 13%. Too low for females?

Any good advice will be much appreciated :)

The hospital scanner is accurate and you need more body fat, not a lean bulk. Eat full fat dairy, nuts and avocado with every meal. You don't need to gain a ton of weight, but your body thinks it's starving. (I did this in my 20's at 5'7" and 138 lbs. My BF% was 7.5. I ended up a happy 155. I weighed 158 yesterday.) hope this helps....
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    ...Actually I'm pretty much like a healthy individual...

Actually you're not. A healthy individual does not have hair loss, coldness, pallor, yellow skin, cessation of menstruation, and 9.2% body fat. Your body is screaming for qualified medical attention, and you are blowing it off.
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    jftypes wrote: »
    Yellow is from bile = liver or gallbadder problems. Hair loss and being cold could be hypothyroidism. See a new doctor stat, be truthful during the consult and get a CBC and chem panel.

THIS x1000! Especially the part about being truthful with your doctor. Hope you begin healing soon!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ...Actually I'm pretty much like a healthyB individual...

Actually you're not. A healthy individual does not have hair loss, coldness, pallor, yellow skin, cessation of menstruation, and 9.2% body fat. Your body is screaming for qualified medical attention, and you are blowing it off.

Slightly abnormal liver function tests with no symptoms are not usually a concern. Abnormal test results with the symptoms you've listed are a problem. Have you had an ultrasound as well? Were you already yellow when you saw the doctor?
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    ...Actually I'm pretty much like a healthy individual...

This, x1000!