Eating dinner after 6pm

mrose414
mrose414 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
So I went to a family party this past weekend and though I had seen my cousin on a weekly basis, she looked fabulous in her blue dress. I hadn't realized how thin she really was (I have to admit I was kinda jealous lol). Anyway, so I asked her what her secret was and she just said that she doesn't much since she is working now, and she doesn't like to eat after 6pm. So my question is.....if you stop eating after 6pm or 7pm, does it help your weight loss? I kinda liked that idea so I started doing the same thing (I'm only on day 4). I'm counting my calories, trying my hardest to eat no fat and very little sugar, and no more eating after 6pm. I'm hoping that these changes will help me reach my goal...cross your fingers!

Replies

• sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    From what I've heard on this site it doesn't really matter if you eat after six. The main thing is if you do it only do so if you have calories left. I usually eat dinner between 5:30/6:00. But sometimes I'm hungry for a nightime snack at 8pm. I f I have calories left I go ahead and have a healthy snack. And I've still been able to lose weight. But it's whatever works for you. If yout start seeing results from not eating after six then so be it! Best of luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    i never eat dinner before 7pm, usually have it between 7:30 and 8pm *S* AND i have a lil snack before bed sometimes .. and my weight loss has been doing fine *S*
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    It depends on you... if you can deal with eating dinner before 6 and then not eating anything after it, and it works for you, go for it. Some people though (like me) would get SOOO hungry then we'd just eat more and probably go over our calories.

So I think it really depends on YOU.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    First of all, welcome!

If you feel the need not to eat after 6 PM because you are prone to late night snacking, then I say go for it. But what effects weight loss is calories in versus calories out. It does't matter when you eat them throughout the day.

Be careful eating no fat. You do need some fat in your diet, for cellular functions as well as absorption of certain fat-soluable vitamins and minerals. Everything in moderation!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Ehh I work 3-11 so my dinner is usually around midnight! then I go right to bed. I've been losting about a pound a week...

I think as long as your calorie limits are under control it doesn't make a huge difference.

maybe for her, not eating after 6 just meant no super late snacking; the clear time boundary probably just helped out her self control!!

good luck (:
  • I always eat dinner between 7 -9 pm it doesn't make a difference. I think this "rule" came from the fact that people eat dinner AND THEN sit and watch tv and eat some more... so (a) they're eating too much and (b) they're usually eating junk food. To eat a healthy dinner it doesn't matter what time of day it is.
  • dmaster555
    dmaster555 Posts: 73
    That is a myth. Meal timing has no effect on weight loss or body composition. All that matters is that you meet your calorie/nutrient needs before bed time.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    mrose:

absolutely go to bed hungry if you can, or just snack on cucumbers or a slice of ham. Carbs are the worst thing you can eat before bed, as they turn directly into belly fat!

keep up your good work!
  • dmaster555
    Your body doesn't know what time it is, does it? Exactly.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    So I went to a family party this past weekend and though I had seen my cousin on a weekly basis, she looked fabulous in her blue dress. I hadn't realized how thin she really was (I have to admit I was kinda jealous lol). Anyway, so I asked her what her secret was and she just said that she doesn't much since she is working now, and she doesn't like to eat after 6pm. So my question is.....if you stop eating after 6pm or 7pm, does it help your weight loss? I kinda liked that idea so I started doing the same thing (I'm only on day 4). I'm counting my calories, trying my hardest to eat no fat and very little sugar, and no more eating after 6pm. I'm hoping that these changes will help me reach my goal...cross your fingers!
    Ya it doesn't matter if you eat after 6 or not. The point based on the law of thermodynamics, if you eat burn 2000 calories and you eat 1500 calories, it makes no difference if you eat those 1500 calories in one meal or through the day, you will STILL burn 2000 calories. The law states "energy can't be created or destroyed, only transformed" How this applies to what you said, it means that you can't get more calories out of 1500 calories than 1500 calories.

You need food for night time for your bodys to repair itself, including brain and muscle. If you don't have sufficiant calories for this, it can severely break down protein from your muscle making you lose muscle mass. Your brain needs glucose and your immune system needs amino acids, it will strip it from the muscle to get the amino acids, and your muscle protein can be converted to glucose. So I highly recommend having something in your stomach in the evening.
  • registers
    Ya it doesn't matter if you eat after 6 or not. The point based on the law of thermodynamics, if you eat burn 2000 calories and you eat 1500 calories, it makes no difference if you eat those 1500 calories in one meal or through the day, you will STILL burn 2000 calories. The law states "energy can't be created or destroyed, only transformed" How this applies to what you said, it means that you can't get more calories out of 1500 calories than 1500 calories.

You need food for night time for your bodys to repair itself, including brain and muscle. If you don't have sufficiant calories for this, it can severely break down protein from your muscle making you lose muscle mass. Your brain needs glucose and your immune system needs amino acids, it will strip it from the muscle to get the amino acids, and your muscle protein can be converted to glucose. So I highly recommend having something in your stomach in the evening.
  • dmaster555
    mrose:

absolutely go to bed hungry if you can, or just snack on cucumbers or a slice of ham. Carbs are the worst thing you can eat before bed, as they turn directly into belly fat!

keep up your good work!

That is not true and you should be ashamed spreading that kind of misinformation. You have no credibility thanks to this post.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    I don't eat after 6 because if I do, I feel sick, can't sleep, and have nightmares. However, when I met with a nutritionist, she actually told me it was bad. She sad that you must eat at least every 4 hours. Otherwise, you are prone to developing insulin problems that may later cause diabetes. She actually had me tested for sugar levels because I eat at 5:30 - 6:00 and don't go to sleep until 11:30 - 12:00. So, I don't eat for about 6 hours. So, I don't think it matters what time you eat. Do what feels right for you.
  • registers
    mrose:

keep up your good work!

Yes carbs can turn in to fat, this only happens when your muscles are full of glycogen, which can happen if you eat carbs throughout the day, and if you eat multiple times a day. You need carbs for your brain, which is highly active at night.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    I forgot to mention: she suggested to me to try to eat a large spoon of cottage cheese - even one spoon should be sufficient to satisfy the insulin production.
  • mrose414
    Thanks guys for the response, I will definitely keep all those things in mind, and congrats to you all on your weight loss! :) If I get hungry (which is most of the time) after 6pm, I have been eating a spinach salad, or I'll eat a fruit..no carbs. All of the responses make sense and I like the "everything in moderation rule". Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on my success :)
  • mrose414
    Thank you for that information, that is pretty helpful and makes a lot of sense :)
  • mrose414
    When I eat late at night, I wake up super hungry lol I don't know why that is
  • registers
    Thanks guys for the response, I will definitely keep all those things in mind, and congrats to you all on your weight loss! :) If I get hungry (which is most of the time) after 6pm, I have been eating a spinach salad, or I'll eat a fruit..no carbs. All of the responses make sense and I like the "everything in moderation rule". Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on my success :)

fruit are carbs, they are better than man made carbs, such as breads and pastas, due to the fiber they slow the rate of absorption with is critical for managing blood sugar levels.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    When I eat dinner after 6pm, I turn from a fluffy, cute creature into a lizard-like monstrosity! Oh, the shenanigans I get up to!

Seriously, it's fine.
This discussion has been closed.