Restaurants that offer "Lite" or "Low Cal" meals...

Options
dordec78
dordec78 Posts: 11 Member
I know it varies by restaurant, but does anyone know how accurate these generally are? For example Applebees "Under 500 Meals"? Are those generally always under 500 cals, or do you think if they were tested, they might ring in much higher?
I know, as long as you are eating healthy, its all good, but I'd hate to be the one to eat something like this 2-3 times a week for lunch, thinking I was having under 500 cals, when it was closer to 800 or 900!

The reason I ask is... I ordered something from the "Light and Fit" menu at a local Cafe here last week that claimed it was 450 cals. When it came, there was NO WAY it was even under 600 or 700 cals.

It was supposed to be an egg substitute omelette with fresh veggies and light cheese.
1) The eggs tasted pretty real to me
2) It was LOADED with cheddar cheese
3) It was GIANT. Probably 7 or 8 oz at least. Took up almost the whole plate.

I asked the waitress about it, but she got an attitude and said that they have a pretty strict menu they are supposed to follow, but that she has no control over what they do in the kitchen (basically)

It looked darn good though, so I pulled off half the cheese and ate about half the omelette. I figured I could eat the rest the next morning and make 2 meals out of it. Anyway, I called it a 'cheat' for the day as I'm not really sure how many cals I actually ate.

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Depends I guess on where you go, but I like a couple of the Applebee's ones. I think they are fairly accurate. I also like the Health Nut menu at Logan's Roadhouse. Other than that, I like to look online at the nutrition info of the place I'm going before I get there and make a choice based on calories mainly... sometimes I have two or three choices and then decide when I get there. The phone app is so amazing for keeping me on track!!!

Good luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    many restaurants that have online nutritional info for their meals also include a total weight for the meal.

i had that happen at one place... they brought me the larger regular dinner version instead of the 'light' version... i could tell it was too much so estimated how much of it i could have.. (about 1/2) took the rest home.. weighed it...and sure enough that 1/2 weighed almost as much as the version i had originally ordered...

result was a lesson.. be vigilant, and, bonus, i got 2 meals for price of the one i ordered *L*

edited to add:
    be very very careful if you are watching your sodium (i am *S*)... because even the light meals are KILLER heavy in sodium!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Good call taking off half the cheese! I work at a restaurant, and I think the problem you had was that it was a local cafe. Places like that (and where I work) are not run by a corporate center so they can say and do whatever they please. "Healthy" could mean under 1,000 calories, and there's no one to keep them accountable (except you!). I'd recommend eating a place that is a chain and has industry standards as they have to be consistent (and reliable). Otherwise, use what knowledge you have to make a good decision. If you eat at that restaurant all the time, I'd recommend you talk to a manager/owner about what seems like a false advertisement. Peoples' health is on the line!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Cant always be perfect. Its a lifestyle not an "accurate calorie count for life"
    Do you eat out all the time where it would make a great big deal?
    ALSO... so its actually 700 calories... ok again if you are eating it every single day like its 400 then its a problem
    But with the Applebees and stuff like that.. you generally dont eat it every single day. So I think of it as --Your not ordering the double bacon cheese burger with some other crazy sauces and french fries and ranch dressing to soak them in.

Take it with a grain of salt... life cannot possibly be perfect. The things you make at home probably arent always perfectly calorie accurate either. I feel like the only way to make this work for my life is to cut where I can and keep what I cant. That means still eating the stuff I love (but less) still eating out (the healthier "inaccurate" options) and still drinking beer!

Good luck! I hope you see what I have recently seen that it doesnt matter that much when its can be made up for by exercise or trimming back in other places.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    xdup post
  • dordec78
    dordec78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to conveniently forget about sodium too. I'm bad on that. I think I will make that my goal of the month...

I really only eat out 2-3 times a month (if that) but I was just wondering, because I know some people who do (for work, for example) like 2-3 times a week. In my case, one or two bad meals a month is no big deal.

And I agree, I think because its a smaller 'local' spot, they might not be as vigilant in the kitchen. It seemed to me like the cook just threw together a veggie omlette and didn't consider the fat or calories. At least it was veggie right? lol And it was delicious, so I can't complain too much.

Thanks for the replies. In the end, I know its all about moderation and common sense. If something seems 'off' it probably is! So, by cutting it in half, I got 2 meals for the price of one!