How am I supposed to eat healthy?

Options
Hi, I've been on this app for a short time and have lost 2lbs so far

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eating 'healthy' is a misnomer. It's almost impossible to define as everyone has their own personal expectations. Eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight - it's that simple. Take the foods you like to eat, weigh them on a food scale so you know what a portion is and how many calories are in it, and stick to logging so you know you're maintaining your deficit each day, and you'll be fine.
    Also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • jokoh92
    jokoh92 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Eating 'healthy' is a misnomer. It's almost impossible to define as everyone has their own personal expectations. Eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight - it's that simple. Take the foods you like to eat, weigh them on a food scale so you know what a portion is and how many calories are in it, and stick to logging so you know you're maintaining your deficit each day, and you'll be fine.
    Also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Exactly! Its not a set way of how to eat "healthy". I used to think eating clean meant eating solely fruits, vegetables, and lean meats and while it is essential to eat this for the most part throughout your weight loss journey, it doesn't mean you have to eliminate what they call "bad foods".

My motto is if you can eat it in moderation and stay within your calorie goal, then eat it! But if its something that is going to make you binge, I would just stay away from it.

Like for me peanut butter and ice cream are my major vices. I will eat it from time to time but its like once out of the blue moon.

Some people can eat it every week and not binge while I can eat 5 potato chips and a diet drink and not want it for weeks on end while that same person who could eat ice cream every week can't consume potato chips and soda without bingeing.

So find your vices and find what you can eat in moderation.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Some people find different times of the day more difficult than others.

For me, late night snacking is an issue. Not because of the time, (that not eating before you sleep thing is hooey!) but because I'm usually pretty much out of calories by then. ;) It usually happens when I crawl into bed and watch tv or read for a bit before I turn out the lights that the munchy monster rears up. I've controlled this issue by keeping nothing to snack on in the bedroom. If I *really* have to have something, I need to drag my sorry butt downstairs to the kitchen and then back up.

Sometimes I make the trip, and just as often I don't. ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Eating for weight loss merely requires a deficit.
    Eating for health requires you to consider the nutritional aspect.

Just google healthy balanced diet and you will see guidelines that broadly agree on the basics, but also have considerable flexibility. It normally revolves around fruit and veg, complex carbs, lean proteins and healthy fats.
    If you get all your nutrition with your available calories then use a portion or any surplus to eat what you want.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    >>My motto is if you can eat it in moderation and stay within your calorie goal, then eat it! But if its something that is going to make you binge, I would just stay away from it.<<

This advice is very important! Some people say u can eat anything u want and lose weight. In theory that is true. In practice not so much. High calorie foods use up your allotment faster, might not fill you up as much or as long, can mess with your glucose levels which can affect you, and/or trigger a binge. The specific foods and their effect are different for each person, but some cause probs more frequently than others.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Eat nutrient dense food for 90% or so of your calories (ensuring you're meeting your macros and micros) the other 10% can be whatever.

Best of luck.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't understand teh question. Where are you finding problems?
  • abistirling25as784
    abistirling25as784 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! And my problem is just trying to eat healthy when I am not in control of what food is bought, therefore I am not in full control of what I can eat.
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried slimming world? you can eat as much as you like of certain foods and just count the treats, fat and sugars, I have lost a stone in 3 months, slow but steady
  • abistirling25as784
    abistirling25as784 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No I've never tried it but thanks I'll look into it :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One way of being in control of your food is to buy it yourself.
  • m13a
    m13a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One way of being in control of your food is to buy it yourself.

True. Though not everyone has the ability to do so if they are dependent on others in some way.

OP: If you can make suggestions or requests to whomever you are dependent on? That would be great, though I understand not everyone is open to it.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! And my problem is just trying to eat healthy when I am not in control of what food is bought, therefore I am not in full control of what I can eat.

You might not have full control of what you eat, but you do have control over how much of it you eat.

I was in your situation when I was going to college and still living at home. I still ate what my mom made, I just made sure to practice portion and kept myself active. I lost 52 pounds that way.

I would also suggest that you talk to who purchases the food for the home and see if they would be willing to buy a few things that you might enjoy. You could also offer to do some of the cooking and have some control that way.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked that only one person has linked eating healthy to nutrition.

What Does Healthy Eating Mean?
    Healthy eating means eating a variety of foods that give you the nutrients you need to maintain your health, feel good, and have energy. These nutrients include protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals.
    Nutrition is important for everyone. When combined with being physically active and maintaining a healthy weight, eating well is an excellent way to help your body stay strong and healthy.

Once you understand about nutrition, then you cna start identifying the food or combinations of food that you cna eat from whats available and also identufy what you might be missing. You can then do further research into what you are missing. All food has some nutritional value, just some manage it on lower calories than others. Logging on MFP can help you track nutrition via your macros and you can gradually move your diet to one that suits you.

Not being in conrol of food purchass crops up quite often and you just have to adapt. There are alwats round or to make the most of the siuation.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Would your parents not buy a few things at the store if you asked them? I only know that I always took my son's tastes into account when shopping, whether I was buying cookies or fruit and veg. I also generally tried to get him to come with me, to pick out his own things, so that he'd eat what I bought. Also, when I was an older teen, I took over cooking dinner several nights a week, for which my mother was quite grateful (and I learned to cook).
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    OMG OP used the word healthy! Quick get the word police in here to let us all know AGAIN that there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy foods lol

Seriously though, if control is your problem abistirling as it is a problem for many including myself, binge eating disorder if you want to put a label on it, for me meditation and "mindful eating" really does work. It is a learned thing but totally doable if you would like to Google it.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    OMG OP used the word healthy! Quick get the word police in here to let us all know AGAIN that there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy foods lol

Don't tempt fate.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't tempt fate.
    [/quote]

Dont tell me what I can or cannot do :)

• m13a
    m13a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Would your parents not buy a few things at the store if you asked them? I only know that I always took my son's tastes into account when shopping, whether I was buying cookies or fruit and veg. I also generally tried to get him to come with me, to pick out his own things, so that he'd eat what I bought. Also, when I was an older teen, I took over cooking dinner several nights a week, for which my mother was quite grateful (and I learned to cook).

Sounds like you had and have created a pretty well-adjusted home in that aspect. I definitely recommend that the OP try if she hasn't yet, but I know the reality is that many homes do not function in such a way, whether it's due to control issues or extreme financial need within the family.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

While you might not be in control of what is bought, you are in control of how much you eat. That's what is important for weight loss.