Eating in the middle of the nite?!

Options
i eat late at night because when I can't sleep this seems to help me go to sleep finally!! And then my next day calories r already a plus, ugh!! Help??

Replies

• aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Been that way for years! I just go with it!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're asking. Are you eating dinner late at night after midnight?

Then, either set your MFP time zone to be a few hours later,

or customise your meal names so that your dinner is at the top, then breakfast, lunch etc.

Or do you mean you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner etc during the day, then also eat again after midnight putting you over your daily limit every day? If so, then just eat less throughout the day to save room for the snack in the wee hours.
  • darkcrow13
    darkcrow13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Not sure what you're asking. Are you eating dinner late at night after midnight?

Then, either set your MFP time zone to be a few hours later,

or customise your meal names so that your dinner is at the top, then breakfast, lunch etc.

Or do you mean you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner etc during the day, then also eat again after midnight putting you over your daily limit every day? If so, then just eat less throughout the day to save room for the snack in the wee hours.

• darkcrow13
    Options
    Ya I eat breakfast/lunch/dinner on time but I get soo hungry after midnight?? I eat and eat the worst stuff, cake/cookies/ice cream:etc!!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Then add a "midnight snack" meal to the top of your day's list of meals, and budget your calories to make room for it.

It doesn't matter what time of day you eat, btw. Your body burns energy asleep and awake. The whole "don't eat after 8pm" thing is debunked carp.
  • KatherinValerino
    KatherinValerino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    darkcrow13 wrote: »
    Ya I eat breakfast/lunch/dinner on time but I get soo hungry after midnight?? I eat and eat the worst stuff, cake/cookies/ice cream:etc!!!

I do it too because i get anxious but I measure it in the daily calories. I leave room for the midnight snacks during the day
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    If I wake up sore and thirsty I will slam a protein shake at 2:00

No issues

Just count the calories and rock on.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eating in the middle of the night is such a way with me I have a meal titled "Late Last Night" so sometimes start my day having already had a "meal" before breakfast. Having added the category and seeing/experiencing how it effects the rest of my daily calories has somewhat curbed the behavior. For me, I have had to learn the difference between waking up hungry and waking up and mindlessly eating out of frustration of not being able to sleep. Being acutely aware of it and seeing it in print reminds me that I really don't have to eat breakfast if I'm not hungry.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Set aside some calories and plan what you will have, so you don't just grab & gorge. I almost always have a late night snack, usually cottage cheese or a piece of toast, sometimes with a little honey on it. But I plan it into my day so I'm still on track with my calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some carbs at night help me sometimes. Try some toast and peanut butter.
    Also work on sleep hygiene.
    http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I budget calories and carbs for a moderate pre-bedtime snack. Because I earlier ate fullness-enhancing foods like protein, fat, veggies, and fiber, I'm not hungry enough to eat and eat and eat as you've described, although I've been there in the past, mostly from not getting enough protein.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to log anything before eating it. Most of the time I'll see just how calorific indulging will be, and so decide against it after all.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Plan for it and make healthier choices. I almost always have a snack an hour before bed or else I wake up starving. I will have low fat cheese, carrots and snap peas with hummus, edamame, or a protein bar or shake.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    , cake/cookies/ice cream:etc!!! -- don't keep these things available until sometime later down the road (if ever). If they're not handy, you can't eat them. Or plan that midnight snack ahead of time. My go-to snack at night is a frozen yogurt bar -- approximately 100 calories and 5 grams of protein -- that I usually have at about 9 pm.
  • darkcrow13
    Options
    Thks everybody for ur info and advice the whole planning it to happen before and that I'm choosing smartly when it comes to late night snacking. And yes I will add late snacking to my daily log. Great ideas!!!!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    , cake/cookies/ice cream:etc!!! -- don't keep these things available until sometime later down the road (if ever). If they're not handy, you can't eat them.

I don't find that this advice is always helpful. When I have a craving for something, but don't have it, I sometimes eat other things instead, and because those don't satisfy my cravings, I still want to eat so I try something else, and since that doesn't satisfy it so I might eat something more, and etc.
  • ks_mommaof5
    ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to your struggle ... for years I found myself binge eating during the middle of the night. I would wake up with candy wrappers or cookie crumbs everywhere in my bed. My husband was totally understanding, but when I started getting depressed about the situation he suggested that I see my doctor about it. Though my doctor didn't have a miracle diagnosis or cure, she asked that I try eliminating refined sugar altogether. For me, the shift away from sugar and flour quickly eliminated my nighttime eating. I've had plenty of friends that have learned moderation and found other solutions ... I was just unable to do so. With a protein-rich dinner and a dessert of pecans or walnuts, I fall asleep with a full belly and sleep right through the night. I wish you much luck!