Maintaining weight, how to avoid late night snacks?

Options
New to maintaining weight, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I generally find that as long as I eat enough calories during the day, I don't feel a need to snack at night
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    The same way you do it while losing . . . by planning ahead and allocating post-dinner calories.

Personally, i find that my morning runs are better when I have a carby snack in the evening.
  • RhodeWarrior401
    RhodeWarrior401 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Dont avoid it! Just make a sensible choice. Apples or any fruit, a SMALL handful of almonds/nuts (<< calorie dense), frozen yogurt, nibble on some dark chocolate. When you sleep, youre basically fasting for 8 hours, so its not a bad idea to eat a small snack while winding down from the day.
  • Detroitcity86
    Detroitcity86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    PegMoffat wrote: »
    I generally find that as long as I eat enough calories during the day, I don't feel a need to snack at night
    Thanks!
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    The same way you do it while losing . . . by planning ahead and allocating post-dinner calories.

Personally, i find that my morning runs are better when I have a carby snack in the evening.
    Thanks!

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    Dont avoid it! Just make a sensible choice. Apples or any fruit, a SMALL handful of almonds/nuts (<< calorie dense), frozen yogurt, nibble on some dark chocolate. When you sleep, youre basically fasting for 8 hours, so its not a bad idea to eat a small snack while winding down from the day.
    Thanks! that sounds sensible

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Same as when losing... I don't. But it's relatively easy for me I guess, I know it's just a couple hours then I'll sleep and get to eat in the morning, so even when I'm hungry I can ignore it.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I try to save 100 cal for a snack after dinner. Sometimes it's popcorn, sometimes it's a fudgesicle... and sometimes I just go to bed. Allowing yourself a snack tends to lessen the cravings anyway. A lot of times I just want something because I can't have it.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    As others have said, don't avoid it, plan ahead to fit it in your calories for the day.
  • nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge, get up and brush your teeth. Colgate is very minty. Usually you wouldn't want to eat after brushing. Or even with mouth wash.
  • nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually just chew on low cal sugar free gum. And watch netflex til bed. It's not because I'm hungry late night. It's just gluttony for me.
  • 1juaguirre
    1juaguirre Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    you may also be thirsty, the brain sends the same signal to you body telling you to eat or drink, so drink water!
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree about being thirsty - many people can't tell the difference between being hungry and thirsty, so have a drink and see if that helps. I find having a hot drink works better than plain water or something cold, because it's comforting, and you have to spend time over it and that makes you feel like you've really had something!

Alternatively, late night snacks may just be a habit - you're used to eating at night so that's what your body wants to do. It is really much better NOT to eat for two hours before bedtime because it can disturb your sleep - you don't need food to get your body through the night", in fact there's a lot of evidence to suggest that a long fast - say, no food from 6pm till breakfast - is actually good for you.
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This really helps
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    I agree about being thirsty - many people can't tell the difference between being hungry and thirsty, so have a drink and see if that helps. I find having a hot drink works better than plain water or something cold, because it's comforting, and you have to spend time over it and that makes you feel like you've really had something!

Alternatively, late night snacks may just be a habit - you're used to eating at night so that's what your body wants to do. It is really much better NOT to eat for two hours before bedtime because it can disturb your sleep - you don't need food to get your body through the night", in fact there's a lot of evidence to suggest that a long fast - say, no food from 6pm till breakfast - is actually good for you.
    Thanks a lot, ill try drinking decaffeinated tea!

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    nikkiab86 wrote: »
    When you feel the urge, get up and brush your teeth. Colgate is very minty. Usually you wouldn't want to eat after brushing. Or even with mouth wash.
    Thanks!

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    1juaguirre wrote: »
    you may also be thirsty, the brain sends the same signal to you body telling you to eat or drink, so drink water!
    Thanks! I always drink plenty of water, trying to cut down on how much I drink at night bcuz i have to keep waking up to use the bathroom. Ill try drinking a small amount at night

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    I try to save 100 cal for a snack after dinner. Sometimes it's popcorn, sometimes it's a fudgesicle... and sometimes I just go to bed. Allowing yourself a snack tends to lessen the cravings anyway. A lot of times I just want something because I can't have it.
    Thanks! Good tips

• makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried peppermint tea, or maybe some kind of chai? You can get chai tea bags and you don't have to add milk. If you like it sweet, one teaspoon of sugar isn't going to ruin your diet.