Losing Body Fat Percentage

Options
The scale slowed down slightly so I got my Body Fat measured last night on one of the stand up scales in the gym.

I've read a lot on here about Body Fat being quite unreliable, but I just wondered if anyone had any information on what is a good target in terms of how fast to lose percentages.

For example, I'm going on holiday on November 30th, my weight loss will be leading up to looking great on holiday (and there's a gym there too so no slacking!), but if I set myself the goal of 5% am I being completely unrealistic?

11st 10lb,
5'6.8",
BMI 25.7,
31.1% BF

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Are you talking losing 5% or reaching 5%? Reaching 5% is pretty much impossible.

To lose 5% at your current weight and bf% you'd have to lose about 13 pounds of fat without losing lean body mass. That's best done in 13 weeks or slower, so that would be barely doable if you're eating right and exercising to preserve LBM.
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Haha, Losing sorry I wasn't clear. I'm ambitious but not crazy :) Thanks!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Focus on something you can control. To cut, target 10-20% calories less than what you maintain at. This equates to 1/2 to 1 lb. weight loss per week, which is a safe and steady pace. You won't find many people recommending anything more drastic than this (at least for people who are not obese). As your weight drops, so will your bodyfat %.

bodyfat-chart-visual-women-03.jpg
    body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The OP is over 30% BF so can afford to lose faster than the "recomended" 1/2 lbs a week diatribe.
    Lift heavy weights, and consume adequate protein to preserve LBM. Your goal is easily doable.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    MissAbbee wrote: »
    Don't focus on body fat percentage. While ideally tracking body fat percentage would be the best way to track overall progress, there is no reliable way to track it. The simple body fat scales for home and at gyms are VERY unreliable. I've gained/lost 6% in a matter of days according to those devices. I'd focus on just creating a calorie deficit and losing a steady amount each week. Start off at a lb a week and eventually bump down to half a lb a week. While you won't be able to track your exact body fat percentage, if you are losing weight, you will also be losing fat.
    arb037 wrote: »
    The OP is over 30% BF so can afford to lose faster than the "recomended" 1/2 lbs a week diatribe.
    Lift heavy weights, and consume adequate protein to preserve LBM. Your goal is easily doable.
    Looking at her height, weight, and avatar picture, she doesn't seem to actually be over 30%. Those scales that test body fat are about worthless IMO.

• MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Wow I literally have no words. Women over 20% BF seem to only be strippers or prostitutes.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

OP does not look over 30%
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Wow I literally have no words. Women over 20% BF seem to only be strippers or prostitutes.
    [/quote]

Well we always tell people that sex burns fewer calories than they think.
  • sixxpoint
    Options

1) OP probably had her bodyfat tested via her scale or calipers... both unreliable and typically incorrect tools to measure bodyfat.

2) OP does not look 30% bodyfat.

3) I gave a range of 1/2 to 1 lb. per week loss... not 1/2 lb only.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    At 164 lbs, 31% may be pretty accurate, unless OP is pretty muscular. Those 25% and 30% pictures above are questionable.

There's a 31% per DEXA picture linked here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jemhh/view/body-fat-percentage-women-734618
  • arb037
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Don't focus on body fat percentage. While ideally tracking body fat percentage would be the best way to track overall progress, there is no reliable way to track it. The simple body fat scales for home and at gyms are VERY unreliable. I've gained/lost 6% in a matter of days according to those devices. I'd focus on just creating a calorie deficit and losing a steady amount each week. Start off at a lb a week and eventually bump down to half a lb a week. While you won't be able to track your exact body fat percentage, if you are losing weight, you will also be losing fat.
    Looking at her height, weight, and avatar picture, she doesn't seem to actually be over 30%. Those scales that test body fat are about worthless IMO.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

sixxpoint wrote: »

1) OP probably had her bodyfat tested via her scale or calipers... both unreliable and typically incorrect tools to measure bodyfat.

The OP listed her stats.. Avatar does not have to be actual condition... And she listed 31% BF.. L2read sheeple

• sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options

The OP listed her stats.. Avatar does not have to be actual condition... And she listed 31% BF.. L2read sheeple
    I got my Body Fat measured last night on one of the stand up scales in the gym.

^^^ Learn to read, you say? I did read, and using a stand up scale to measure bodyfat % is a horribly inaccurate way to do so.
    In other words, the OP doesn't really know her bodyfat %.

Nice try at a rebuttal though!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

We know we have no idea how you look. Incredible hulk talking about avatars. LOL Irony is so entertaining.
  • arb037
    Options

I got my Body Fat measured last night on one of the stand up scales in the gym.

^^^ Learn to read, you say? I did read, and using a stand up scale to measure bodyfat % is a horribly inaccurate way to do so.
    In other words, the OP doesn't really know her bodyfat %.

Nice try at a rebuttal though!

Bio impedance BF testers "can" be innacurate at times, hydration levels withstanding. That does not mean ALL the time. Oft times they are fairly close. Fact of the matter is, a lot of testing methods are inaccurate, and are simply gauges to an estimate. Regardless she believes her BF is X, and even if she is 25% she can lose faster than you advise.

Some info from Lyle Mcdonald for you OP
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/size-of-deficit-and-muscle-catabolism-qa.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    At 164 lbs, 31% may be pretty accurate, unless OP is pretty muscular. Those 25% and 30% pictures above are questionable.

There's a 31% per DEXA picture linked here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jemhh/view/body-fat-percentage-women-734618

Thanks for that link. That looks like a much more realistic 30%.

Re the body fat% reference pics above, I'm pretty sure the person who put them together just made stuff up. There is no chance that "18%" is really 18%, prob closer to 25. The "25%" and "30%" are likely deep into the 30s, probably even the 40s for the "30%" (maybe the other one too).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Well we always tell people that sex burns fewer calories than they think.[/quote]

LOL

An alternative

body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    113 lbs of FFM currently, if that slips to 110 a BF of 26% would mean a weight of 148 lbs ie a loss of 18 lbs. Requires a bit more than 1lb/week.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The scale slowed down slightly so I got my Body Fat measured last night on one of the stand up scales in the gym.

I've read a lot on here about Body Fat being quite unreliable, but I just wondered if anyone had any information on what is a good target in terms of how fast to lose percentages.

For example, I'm going on holiday on November 30th, my weight loss will be leading up to looking great on holiday (and there's a gym there too so no slacking!), but if I set myself the goal of 5% am I being completely unrealistic?

11st 10lb,
    5'6.8",
    BMI 25.7,
    31.1% BF
    dont focus of the percentage 9 times out 10 its way off anyways focus on weekly pics and the mirror :) pics is the best tho as your mind can minipulate that mirror

• sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Regardless she believes her BF is X, and even if she is 25% she can lose faster than you advise.
    yarwell wrote: »
    113 lbs of FFM currently, if that slips to 110 a BF of 26% would mean a weight of 148 lbs ie a loss of 18 lbs. Requires a bit more than 1lb/week.

In order to gain about one pound of tissue weight (as opposed to transient flux in water weight), you need to consume a total of about 3,500 calories more than you expend. And to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you have to do the opposite -- consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend.

Therefore, why would you expect someone to realistically cut more than 7,000 cals per week (or 2 lbs. fat loss per week)? That plan isn't safe or rational. A cut from 2,000 cals x 7 days per week down to 1,500 cals x 7 days per week would be exactly a 3,500 cal difference. What you are both suggesting is that a person can safely double (or triple) that rate of loss safely. I don't think so.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Regardless she believes her BF is X, and even if she is 25% she can lose faster than you advise.
    yarwell wrote: »

In order to gain about one pound of tissue weight (as opposed to transient flux in water weight), you need to consume a total of about 3,500 calories more than you expend. And to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you have to do the opposite -- consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend.

Therefore, why would you expect someone to realistically cut more than 7,000 cals per week (or 2 lbs. fat loss per week)? That plan isn't safe or rational. A cut from 2,000 cals x 7 days per week down to 1,500 cals x 7 days per week would be exactly a 3,500 cal difference. What you are both suggesting is that a person can safely double (or triple) that rate of loss safely. I don't think so.

:lol: you tell em.