Crossfit-- a little scared!

Options
2»

Replies

• dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for about 3 years now and love it. It's okay to be a little scared at first, just remember that anything can be scaled or modified. That helped me lose my fear of not knowing what the workout would be each day. Everything AllanMisner said is spot on. Find a great community that supports you and helps you look forward to getting back to the box.
    Crossfit burns tons of fat. From the female perspective its great overall, but for men its bad. Crossfit builds cardiovascular endurance,meaning if your doing crossfit alot and you want to build muscle, your ganna have to work your *kitten* off 10 times harder just for a little bit of gainz.

This has not been my husband's experience at all. In fact, he is quite the opposite. He has been exclusively Crossfitting for 7 years now (despite my attempts to get him to run). He is stronger and more muscular than ever in his life at 40yo. He still PR's his lifts occasionally, though not as often as his first couple of years. I'm sure results can vary a little bit depending on a specific box's programming, but I don't think the general statement is true.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started cross-fit when I was 47, almost a year ago. I love it. You don't have to RX the WOD to get results. Start slow. Don't worry about the amount of weight you do, until your form is correct. For the best results, go at least 4 times a week. At my box, the coaches are great. They watch you and tell you what your doing right/wrong. I had a personnal trainer - $240 a month. Cross-fit is only $125. A lot cheaper and they know what they are doing. You will be sore. Make sure you drink a lot of water and eat protein. Allan is correct, especially about cherry picking the WODS. The tougher the WOD...the better you feel at the end. You can do it.

You may have coaches that know what they are doing and that's great. But be careful remember it's only a 48 hour class to be a train that's almost impossible to fail. I've seen the crossfitt trainers at a gym I use to go to and they where terrible teachers and trainers. Tonight terrible form. Also it's really not necessary to lift legs 340 days of the year just my opinion. If you find the right trainers that know what they are doing then great