Those Pesky 5lbs!!!

Options
I am pretty happy with my weight now and I have been maintaining it for a couple of weeks. However, I want to lose just five more pounds! I am pretty active as I exercise 6-7 times a weeks with a mix of cardio and strength, so I think the reason I have plateaued would be my eating habits. About two weeks ago, I removed most of the starch from my diet and I have instead opted for more fruits/veggies/and lean protein. I have noticed my weight drop a bit since then, so hopefully with my new diet and exercise I can finally get rid of these last five pounds!!

Anyone else ever have this problem? >_<

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mndazhang wrote: »
    I am pretty happy with my weight now and I have been maintaining it for a couple of weeks. However, I want to lose just five more pounds! I am pretty active as I exercise 6-7 times a weeks with a mix of cardio and strength, so I think the reason I have plateaued would be my eating habits. About two weeks ago, I removed most of the starch from my diet and I have instead opted for more fruits/veggies/and lean protein. I have noticed my weight drop a bit since then, so hopefully with my new diet and exercise I can finally get rid of these last five pounds!!

Anyone else ever have this problem? >_<

Wut? You've removed starch? So you're iodine testing all foods then?

If you are cutting out carbs which is probably what you mean you're just playing with water weight so of course the scale will drop

Losing 5lbs of fat would take a calorie defecit plan or you could look at recomp if it's the actual look of your body you are interested in

If it's just a number on a scale and you're not going to ping back into carbs then fine that'll work
  • mndazhang
    mndazhang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I haven't completely removed starch, it's just that instead of getting a majority of my carbs from starch, I get them from fruits and veggies. And yes, I figured the first bit of weight I dropped since beginning this new diet is just water weight, but I figured that the starches I usually eat contain more sugar and fat than fruits (yes, I am aware that fruit can also contain high levels of sugar) or veggies. In addition to the switch in foods, I have started keeping a food journal in which I have been recording calories and other info. I am trying to drop about a pound per week, so cutting my normal intake by five hundred calories should do it. I understand the logic of loosing weight and I think I'll be able to do it. The only thing I am worried about is putting the pounds back on once I reach my goal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Those last five nearly always take a long time. Mine went at less than .5 lb a week.

You are talking vanity pounds now, so don't stress over it, just continue eating a little under maintenance and it will eventually go.

Sorry I don't have any magic tricks up my sleeve for you.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I haven't completely removed starch, it's just that instead of getting a majority of my carbs from starch, I get them from fruits and veggies. And yes, I figured the first bit of weight I dropped since beginning this new diet is just water weight, but I figured that the starches I usually eat contain more sugar and fat than fruits (yes, I am aware that fruit can also contain high levels of sugar) or veggies. In addition to the switch in foods, I have started keeping a food journal in which I have been recording calories and other info. I am trying to drop about a pound per week, so cutting my normal intake by five hundred calories should do it. I understand the logic of loosing weight and I think I'll be able to do it. The only thing I am worried about is putting the pounds back on once I reach my goal.

You aren't making sense to me. Starch is in lots of food...like many yogurts, bananas, ..what are you defining as starch? I'm assuming you mean bread, potatoes and rice and pasta etc ...the things low carbers buy into as "bad for them"

If you're going low carb, fine commit to choosing a low carb plan to hit your calorie defecit ...it's a route (not my personal preferred route as the water weight manipulation never worked for me long term as I can't stick to low carb and find CICO with no specific macro exclusion rules is easier)

Sugar is sugar ...as you know

1lb a week for 5lbs seems a bit excessive to me
  • mndazhang
    Options

You aren't making sense to me. Starch is in lots of food...like many yogurts, bananas, ..what are you defining as starch? I'm assuming you mean bread, potatoes and rice and pasta etc ...the things low carbers buy into as "bad for them"

If you're going low carb, fine commit to choosing a low carb plan to hit your calorie defecit ...it's a route (not my personal preferred route as the water weight manipulation never worked for me long term as I can't stick to low carb and find CICO with no specific macro exclusion rules is easier)

Hmm, yes, I suppose you are right, I mean the "evil" carbs. I think I will try to stay on this new diet for a bit, but I am also neutral towards loosing water weight and I would rather loose fat. :P My thinking was that high-carb foods were high in calories, but perhaps low in satisfaction. I find seeing half a piece of toast more dissatisfying than, say, a medium salad (no cheese, no dressing). What I'm trying to say is that my brain, for whatever reason, is easily fooled by the volume of the food I eat.
  • mndazhang
    Options
    Those last five nearly always take a long time. Mine went at less than .5 lb a week.

You are talking vanity pounds now, so don't stress over it, just continue eating a little under maintenance and it will eventually go.

Sorry I don't have any magic tricks up my sleeve for you.

Cheers, h.

I am thinking I am going to go through a similar phase (less than 0.5 pounds per week). Thanks for your post, it's still motivating~ :)

• Sued0nim
    Options

Hmm, yes, I suppose you are right, I mean the "evil" carbs. I think I will try to stay on this new diet for a bit, but I am also neutral towards loosing water weight and I would rather loose fat. :P My thinking was that high-carb foods were high in calories, but perhaps low in satisfaction. I find seeing half a piece of toast more dissatisfying than, say, a medium salad (no cheese, no dressing). What I'm trying to say is that my brain, for whatever reason, is easily fooled by the volume of the food I eat.

I suppose it's how you make up your meals..I'm also keen on high volume but my go to meals need carbs for my ultimate satisfaction

So I need my 100g rice with my Mediterranean veg stew and cheese or chicken cacciatore for 350 calories and my white toast with scrambled egg white, mushroom, cheese and black pepper for 200

I would definitely slow down to a. 250 cut to get 0.5lb a week loss

Good luck
  • mndazhang
    Options

I suppose it's how you make up your meals..I'm also keen on high volume but my go to meals need carbs for my ultimate satisfaction

So I need my 100g rice with my Mediterranean veg stew and cheese or chicken cacciatore for 350 calories and my white toast with scrambled egg white, mushroom, cheese and black pepper for 200

I would definitely slow down to a. 250 cut to get 0.5lb a week loss

Good luck

Mmmmm, those two meals both sounds delicious! And I think you are right, a 250-calorie cut for a 0.5 pound loss does sound a lot more realistic. Thank you for your help!! :)