Supposed to be gaining weight but LOSING WEIGHT??

Options
I've been Trying to Gain weight for 5 days now. I know its not that long but ever since I started this process it seems like I've been losing weight. .-. When I look in the mirror I seem skinnier than I did before! I've been reaching my calorie goal ( 1,990 ) every day.. I don't understand. advice?? Help?? Not sure if I'm doing this wrong or if I should be taking in more calories than MFP is telling me to.. :(:'(

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat more. That's the only answer.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    5 days is way too soon to tell. Many different factors can influence weight on the scale.
    You might have gained weight, but lost water weight (etc.).

Also, don't look at your reflection for differences, it is better to measure.
    Anyway, 1990 for weightgain seems a bit on the low side. What is your height, weight and age?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've been Trying to Gain weight for 5 days now. I know its not that long but ever since I started this process it seems like I've been losing weight. .-. When I look in the mirror I seem skinnier than I did before! I've been reaching my calorie goal ( 1,990 ) every day.. I don't understand. advice?? Help?? Not sure if I'm doing this wrong or if I should be taking in more calories than MFP is telling me to.. :(:'(

Did you weigh yourself or do you just "look " skinnier? You should be weighing yourself weekly and also take beginning measurements and then keep taking measurments.

Oh, and only five days...
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    5 days is too soon , if your goal is to gain lean muscle Wright you need to establish your TDEE and add say 100 -200 daily Cals for the first week train and see how that works . If you have not put any weight on after a week or 2 then increase by 100 Cals . If you have put too much on then decrease .
  • KhalilM07
    KhalilM07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Eat more. That's the only answer.

• makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1,990 calories would be regarded by most people as a maintenance diet, not a weight gain diet. Why did you choose that figure?
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Soumds strange but sometimes when you are gaining weight you do loose also body telling you that you need more but 5 days isnt really long enough to judge
  • pug11
    pug11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1,990 calories would be regarded by most people as a maintenance diet, not a weight gain diet. Why did you choose that figure?

• FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    Don't worry I felt the same! Just persevere and keep going. I think try and eat more calories if u can. I don't know your height but 1900 doesn't seem enough to be able to gain? Do you drink any protien drinks? They really help if u r finding it hard to eat a lot. I have one as part as a mid morning snack, I use vanilla protien powder, peanut butter, honey, 1 banana and milk all blended together. It tastes so nice and helps you to consume an extra 500calories in just one drink. Also you might be the same as me, my nutritionist told me I have to eat more like 5 meals a day, three main meals and then two high protien/carb snacks in between
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yeah 1990 seems low to gain, I'm in maintenance at 2400.....when I was gaining I was eating A TON. Five days is nothing...this takes time.
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of fat, eat 3000 calories
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Whats your current height and weight?