Was this really stupid?

Options
My sister is getting married in May. I'm going to be a bridesmaid (ooh, how exciting - I've never been a bridesmaid before!).

I have just spent £150 on a dress that doesn't fit!!!!!!

Eeek.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Doesn't fit in what way?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Depends on by how much it doesn't fit. And whether you'll be consistent in losing weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    KezJT wrote: »
    My sister is getting married in May. I'm going to be a bridesmaid (ooh, how exciting - I've never been a bridesmaid before!).

I have just spent £150 on a dress that doesn't fit!!!!!!

Eeek.

Boy, what a motivation! Maybe it will be a good thing. I've just joined here and I really like the bit at the end of each day, when you hit the Submit button and it tells you "if you keep having days like this, you'll weigh ...."

Keep watching that message each day and you'll soon see whether you're on track to make your goal. Good luck!
  • KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 stone on here a few years ago, but got lazy and thought "I know what I'm doing now without logging" Hah! Put 2 stone back on:( So I'm sure I can do it again!

Only need to lose 1.5 to fit the dress I think. I'm planning on losing at least 2 though, which should be easily doable in 8 months! One month in so far and I'm on target:)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My now sil was paying for my matron of honour dress. It was 3 dress sizes smaller than I was at the time. I told her to buy it if she wanted me to wear it and that I was willing to lose the weight. I had 10 months... AND SHE BOUGHT IT! Gosh I cursed myself... At the time of the wedding I had lost 2 dress sizes and she'd changed her mind about the dress anyway... 4 times. But she was rapt that I had made the effort, and that it made it easier to find clothes to fit me. Believe me when I say YOU GOT THIS! Congratulations to your sister.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yeah that was dumb. Even when you have lost weight there is no telling what shape you will be in. Return the dress, get it in a bigger size and budget for tailoring later on.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    If you're on track then stick to your goals it's a great incentive. Most dresses can be let out a half to a whole size depending how it was made. But if you have done this before then you got this !!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yes that wasn't the smartest idea
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Depends on how small it is. If push comes to shove and you can't lose the weight in time, you can always have it altered. Maybe.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yeah that was dumb. Even when you have lost weight there is no telling what shape you will be in. Return the dress, get it in a bigger size and budget for tailoring later on.

A lot of people have to alter these dresses, even those perfectly in shape. The bride picks and style and if you don't like it you can go kick rocks :)

• pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Part of why I don't want to start wedding dress shopping until closer to the date. Why buy a wedding dress only to change shape/size?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 stone on here a few years ago, but got lazy and thought "I know what I'm doing now without logging" Hah! Put 2 stone back on:( So I'm sure I can do it again!

Only need to lose 1.5 to fit the dress I think. I'm planning on losing at least 2 though, which should be easily doable in 8 months! One month in so far and I'm on target:)

20 pounds is absolutely doable in 8 months BUT START TODAY. Don't be one of those people who comes here in March and tries to fit in.

For the future, it's best to put vanity aside for bridal attire and go with the next size or so up, because you're going to be having it tailored anyway.

But you got this. I would start lifting too so that you can gain lean muscle as you lose fat.
  • KezJT
    Options
    [quote="barbecuesauce;33737821"20 pounds is absolutely doable in 8 months BUT START TODAY. Don't be one of those people who comes here in March and tries to fit in.

For the future, it's best to put vanity aside for bridal attire and go with the next size or so up, because you're going to be having it tailored anyway.

But you got this. I would start lifting too so that you can gain lean muscle as you lose fat.[/quote]

I started a month ago:) I *did* think about it before deciding to buy a size smaller, but as I've only recently gone up the size, and REALLY don't intend to stay here for long, I decided to go for it.

I'll check back in another month and tell you how its going;)

• KezJT
    Options
    Just to update: Went for fiting today - it fits perfectly. No adjustment needed at all:)

Would like to lose anoth 1/2 stone before the big day though, so not buying any underwear quite yet;)
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just to update: Went for fiting today - it fits perfectly. No adjustment needed at all:)

Would like to lose anoth 1/2 stone before the big day though, so not buying any underwear quite yet;)

Yay!!!! :smiley:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was bordering on the Ferrari of idiocy....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Nice! Thanks for the update, so often things like this end in tears.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Awesome update!