loosing weight 6 weeks after birth

Options
Hi, I am 6 weeks after birth and I would like to loose aprx. 12kg. Do you have any special plan for this? thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Buy a food scale and start logging in the diary. After two weeks you will get a handle on the database.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you nursing? If so please be careful, because you should not eat in a calorie deficit while breastfeeding and in fact still need a few hundred above maintenance to supply your milk (& breastfeeding really helps the extra weight come off anyway, even with the extra calories!). If you're formula feeding, then go ahead and eat in a deficit. But, my advice would be to set your weekly loss goal low. Don't try to do it super fast- you need to make sure you're fueling yourself enough to have the energy to take care of a new baby, plus you're getting so much less sleep. Aim for half a pound a week. Stay active by taking walks with baby.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    Are you nursing? If so please be careful, because you should not eat in a calorie deficit while breastfeeding and in fact still need a few hundred above maintenance to supply your milk (& breastfeeding really helps the extra weight come off anyway, even with the extra calories!). If you're formula feeding, then go ahead and eat in a deficit. But, my advice would be to set your weekly loss goal low. Don't try to do it super fast- you need to make sure you're fueling yourself enough to have the energy to take care of a new baby, plus you're getting so much less sleep. Aim for half a pound a week. Stay active by taking walks with baby.
    Whoops. I missed that. (it is early in the a.m.) 'Sorry. :/
  • markettt
    markettt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    Yes, I am breastfeeding. I would like to loose weight in slow way. The breastfeeding is very important to me. The little one has an stomacake alot so I have no enough sleep and talk about regular servings is out of mind. Thank you for any advices.
  • jdleanna
    Options
    Then while you are breastfeeding you really can't cut back on calories. If you do, you risk being malnourished and drying up your milk supply. You should still be eating 300 or so extra calories a day. Please do not try to cut back on what you eat.

But trust me - mom of 5 here - tons of the weight will come off on its own just because you are breastfeeding. Even with you eating extra calories.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Markett, I can't be of much help but I waited until my daughter was 1 to start the journey. I watched as my friend went on a calorie deficit and lost her supply because of it. I was too fearful it would happen to me that I decided to wait a little more. Formula is expensive! I only nurse her twice a day now and we seem fine.
    Most of the time I go over my calories by maybe 50 or 100 (but I am short so that is why is less) and it seems to be working! I have lost 10lbs in 3 months and have 10 more pounds to go. Slowly I will get there and my supply is still there.
  • nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost all my baby weight and then some while nursing. I cut back to approx 1700-1800 calories a day (I weighed 175 and was 5'5" at around 5 weeks post partum) and exercised 5 days a week with both cardio and strength.

I ate to nourish my body and let my milk production caloric needs come from my body fat. The entire reason a woman even stores fat as part of her baby weight gain is to have fat stores for nursing. It is totally safe to use those stores as your energy needs while nursing.

And since you're past the 6 week mark it's okay to slowly add back exercise.

While nursing you typically burn anywhere from 300-500 more calories per day. I say make good use of your increase metabolism and get the weight off. By the time my son was 6 months old I was down to 155 and I didn't wean him until he was 15 months old. My check ups and his were always super healthy. No malnoruishment over here.
  • nicediva007
    Options
    And I had oversupply and stored quite a bit of milk for when I went back to work. My son was my second child that I successfully worked this plan with. You definitely can safely have a good caloric deficit while nursing.
  • jdleanna
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do not think it is safe to advise a stranger that she "definitely can safely" eat at a caloric deficit while just starting out nursing. Great that it worked for you, nicediva007, but that's not the norm and not what most OB/Gynecology advise to new nursing mothers. At the very, very least she should first talk to her OB and a dietician before cutting calories.

OP, try reading through this too...

Http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/breastfeeding-nutrition/art-20046912
  • jdleanna
    Options
    She's only 6 weeks out. Milk supply won't be completely established yet.
  • nicediva007
    Options
    She should surely consult a medical professional. That's the recommendation whenever a person would like to lose weight. While nursing your body needs specific nourishment, however the fat stores on the body (if you're in the normal body fat percentage), makes losing weight while nursing safe in most cases.

But yes, of course, my nursing experiences do not necessarily mean they hold for everyone. Her situation very well may be unique, so I agree that she should seek the advice of a professional in the field before committing to a strategy.
  • markettt
    markettt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you for replies. With first baby I did not lost any weight while I was breast feeding, maybe the meals were not in right portions. Is true that I have too much work to prepare food so I grab something when I have a little bit of time. Mostly eating and running and this not help to reduce the weight. About exercising - walking with baby and dogs quite often. Now I do not have opportunity to go to the gym, the small one is really adapted to me. I am wearing her in baby wearing wrap so she need to feel me. Tough ... hope I will be ready in my size soon.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I didn't start to lose weight until after I was done breastfeeding my little one. I tried a calorie deficit and I started to lose my milk supply so I had to stop. However, looking back, I should have set my weight loss to .5 pounds a week instead of the 2 pounds a week I had it set to.