Gained 2lb in 2 days?

Options
It will be a week on Sunday since I started tracking my calories. I initially lost 6lb, but within 2 days I've gained 2lb, is this normal? I've been eating 200 calories less than suggested but have still gained.

Replies

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes it is normal. You will have weight fluctuations from day to day and even daily. If you just started eating at a deficit, all of the weight you have lost will have been water weight, which is normal, and will cause wild fluctuations sometimes for the first couple of weeks. Remember though, as you start to lose fat, weight loss is not linear and will result in ups and downs, the general down trend is what you want to focus on.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    There are natural fluctuations in weight. Track the overall trend, not the daily changes.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My weight can vary up to 4lbs in a day. This happens because of several reasons. Water retention (eating salty food, time of the month), time of day you weight yourself, clothes, last time you went to the loo.

Long term loss is what matters. Daily fluctuation is nothing to worry about.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Fluctuatuion 1-5lbs a day all natural. Understand now why your 3lb a week thread was unlikely. You need to think longer term.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories today and weigh 3.7 pounds more right now than I did this morning. Just normal fluctuation.

Oh, and if you're female ... TOM and ovulation can also cause some crazy spikes (water retention is a b!t(h)
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh 2 pounds more today than I did yesterday. I did go out for breakfast yesterday morning, but I know I didn't eat 7000 calories over maintenance so I know it'll go away in a couple of days.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. Last week I lost 2lb in one day and I could tell I was dehydrated. 1 week later and I'm up 3.1lb, or in other words, I am rehydrated and up 1.1lb of extra water weight. I was eating at maintenance all week while on vacation (ignoring the over 3 miles of walking every day often carrying 30lb).

I expect to be down over 2lb this week as I am no longer on vacation :smiley:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I gained 2.4 pounds since yesterday despite not eating anywhere near 8400 calories, let alone 8400 calories over maintenance. That's just how it goes.