C-Section shelf. Will it lessen in appearance?

Options
I've lost 62 pounds. Had 2 c-sections and have the shelf to prove it :)

I'm reducing everywhere, still have 26 to get to MFP goal and 30-35 to get to where I think I'd like to be.

Have you had any success with reduction in the dreaded shelf?

(5'2", started at 220 and this morning was 157.5.)

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It will lessen but probably not to your satisfactoin. Just get a tummy tuck now and save yourself the grief of staring at it and hating it for years.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It will lessen but probably not to your satisfactoin. Just get a tummy tuck now and save yourself the grief of staring at it and hating it for years.

Really? Get a tummy tuck now even before she knows how her body will look when she has hit her goal weight? Do you get commission from plastic surgeons or something??

OP, I haven't a c-section, let alone kids, but your body is unique and so is your c-section scar. The way your body will change as you lose weight will be different to every other person here. Get to your goal first and then if it is still stubborn and won't go away, maybe then a tummy tuck could be considered.

I am sure it is possible to reduce it, just to what degree is completely up to how your body will react. But i'm sure it would be pretty hard to have the "shelf" once the extra weight is gone.
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have c section shelf. Even at low weight. I just live with it. It's part of me
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I also had c section. Have that shelf you talk about. I did get offered a tummy tuck after it as they had made a mess of sewing me up. But at the time said no as I had been through so much. After I lose the weight I might consider it. But as I feel great about the way I look after losing what I have lost so far I can't see it. Still have 14kgs to go but that mark is part of me if I didn't have it I would have my beautiful 15 year old girl. X
  • mndazhang
    mndazhang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Think of your body as an onion. Your body has a certain shape, and when your weight changes, then a layer of fat is basically added or removed from your entire body. For instance, a pear-shaped person will just about always have more fat in his or her hips unless his or her weight drops to nearly starvation levels. In your case, it almost doesn't matter how much weight you lose, you will likely still have a bit of a shelf. Also, depending on how much your skin shrunk back, you may not have as much of a shelf of fat as you think, but instead some flabby skin. Cosmetic surgery (tummy tuck) can help you in this case.

Even if you don't get a tummy tuck, I'll bet that with diet and exercise you can still get to a good weight and feel pretty good about your body. Good luck~

P.S. I am not part of the plastic surgery business! I have actually thought about liposuction (although not tummy tuck) and this is information I learned both from doctors and the Internet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Bad advice ^^^

Just keep going ...eat at a defecit to drop body fat, lift heavy

See how your body looks when you get to a year into your maintenance

I've had 2 sections, I still have a small concave area directly over my scar but nothing that won't stretch out in certain positions or disappear when I'm lying down and it disappears under the smallest of briefs so meh
  • SugaBaby880088
    SugaBaby880088 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had 2 c sections my tummy is flat (but fat) with no shelf or anyting like it, im 128lb and 5'2 (at heaviest was 142lb)

I think once there is no fat or much less fat on your stomach theres nothing to sit on the 'shelf' :)
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had a c section 6 years ago and have no idea what a shelf is? I am 5'5", weigh 167 lbs and have a little more fat around the scar, but not extremely noticible. As you get closer to goal, it will probably disappear. Even if some of it is left, who cares! You made wonderful babies and shouldn't feel bad about a little "battle wound" :smile:
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I'll ever get a tummy tuck. It doesn't bother me now, I'm sure that once I'm at goal it won't bother me either. If it does I'll deal with it then.

I just wondered if it would reduce. Honestly... After starting at such a high weight for my height, I'm okay with looking awesome in clothing and slightly less awesome naked. And my husband of 15 years doesn't mind my "shelf" either. So that's awesome!

If you don't know "shelf" then lucky you!!! Google it. It's fascinating.
    And this is what a 62 pound loss looks likezyotrputa2et.jpg
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I'll ever get a tummy tuck. It doesn't bother me now, I'm sure that once I'm at goal it won't bother me either. If it does I'll deal with it then.

I just wondered if it would reduce. Honestly... After starting at such a high weight for my height, I'm okay with looking awesome in clothing and slightly less awesome naked. And my husband of 15 years doesn't mind my "shelf" either. So that's awesome!

If you don't know "shelf" then lucky you!!! Google it. It's fascinating.
    And this is what a 62 pound loss looks likezyotrputa2et.jpg

Awesome well done. Totally agree x
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It depends. I've had 2 c-sections. The first left no shelf at all, just a flat scar. No problem. The second left a terrible, lopsided shelf. I was the same weight during both pregnancies give or take a couple of pounds. Years later, I'm still struggling with the shelf from the second c-section. At one point I lost weight to 110 lbs at 5'5", way too thin, and only then did the shelf flatten out but only on the smaller side. It never disappeared. I wish I'd done something about it at the time but did not anticipate what happened. I don't know if it was the techniques used by the different doctors or what it was, but it's permanent for me and it is not small.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mine went away completely although it took about 5 years (now I'm pregnant again though so who knows how long it will take to go this time). You can't even see the scar anymore really. Anyway, give it time. Your body can heal itself given enough time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Mine went away but my scar is way lower than the ones in most of the pictures I've seen.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i've had 2 c-sections first 1 went fine and dandy second 1 was the one that left me with a big shelf..my shelf thing has reduced alot after me losing 30 lbs from 150 down to 120 lbs its still there but much smaller then before.. i dont expect it to go away completely but do expect it to get down to a smaller size so _____
    (yes success) so far .