Calling all fellow vegans!

Options

Replies

• singingmommy25
    singingmommy25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i've been vegan for a little over 8 years now, trying to lose about 15 to 20 pounds, i'm also training for a few halfs this year and potentially a full in 2016.

oh and i'm not a crunchy vegan.

And i have a vegan toddler.

Also you rock with those half marathons! I ran one and thought I was going to die. It was quite an experience!
  • amjaycox
    amjaycox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any room on this board for a vegan of 5 years who fell off the wagon 6 months ago and is struggling to jump back on? My life so much different than it was 6 months ago. I changed jobs from a place where everyone was vegan to a job where no one else is vegan. I changed social groups from vegan/vegetarians to a group who will put absolutely anything in their mouths. No worries, I'm finding new vegan/vegetarian friends immediately!
  • Vegan4her
    Vegan4her Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A little late to the party I guess, just saw this post. Vegetarian for 20+ years, tried vegan as a challenge 2 months before my wedding in sept 2012 at the ripe age of 39. Realized knew nothing about how to eat vegan so I watched the documentary Vegucated. Vegan since, going on 3 years and getting crazier each day. Dropped about 5 lbs going vegan but gained it back eating crappy foods. About 4 months ago I watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It has changed mine and my non-veg husbands lives. Down about 15 lbs in 4 months. I urge you all to check out Forks Over Knives. Quick note: my husband is eating about 95% whole foods plant based diet since May. He's down almost 10lbs.

Feel free to add me :)
  • bethhardesty
    bethhardesty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!
    I've been a vegan for almost a year. After watching Cowspiracy then Earthlings my life changed. I'm still struggling to lose weight though. I'm on blood pressure medication so I think that is making it harder. I started drinking the vegan shakeology about a week ago. Have experienced an increase in energy but no weight loss. I really need to start exercising too. That's my true struggle. I've gone back to school (older than average student) and that creates a lot of sitting and studying time needed. I'm excited to say I will be done in 27 days!!!! Yay me

Hope to meet some great vegan peeps here
  • singingmommy25
    Options
    A little late to the party I guess, just saw this post. Vegetarian for 20+ years, tried vegan as a challenge 2 months before my wedding in sept 2012 at the ripe age of 39. Realized knew nothing about how to eat vegan so I watched the documentary Vegucated. Vegan since, going on 3 years and getting crazier each day. Dropped about 5 lbs going vegan but gained it back eating crappy foods. About 4 months ago I watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It has changed mine and my non-veg husbands lives. Down about 15 lbs in 4 months. I urge you all to check out Forks Over Knives. Quick note: my husband is eating about 95% whole foods plant based diet since May. He's down almost 10lbs.

Feel free to add me :)
    Love that story! Forks over Knives was important to me as well. Eye opening!

• singingmommy25
    Options
    amjaycox wrote: »
    Any room on this board for a vegan of 5 years who fell off the wagon 6 months ago and is struggling to jump back on? My life so much different than it was 6 months ago. I changed jobs from a place where everyone was vegan to a job where no one else is vegan. I changed social groups from vegan/vegetarians to a group who will put absolutely anything in their mouths. No worries, I'm finding new vegan/vegetarian friends immediately!

Plenty of room for you! Not always an easy road, especially with the culture in this country of "meat for every meal". In my community, We have a Facebook page for local vegans who support each other, swap tips about local vegan food, and meet up every so often. It's a good support system. Do you often cook?

• EMJ421
    EMJ421 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi, I am 55 and have been vegan for 1 1/2 years. I would love to lose about 25 lbs. I feel like I am learning a whole new type of cooking and am enjoying it a lot but have got to get serious to lose this weight! Thanks for this post/thread.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi, I switched to a plant-based diet 2 months ago. Started at 152 lbs in January and now at 128. The first 14 came off in the first 4 months. Then, there was a 2 month plateau as I transitioned to plant-based. The last 10 came off in the last 2 months. For me, that's quite fast and surprising considering I'm almost at my goal of 120.

Comparing the 2 weight loss periods, the avg exercise was 8-11 hrs/week before to 11-14 hrs/wk now, so I'm having to work harder than I did in the beginning to maintain the rate of weight loss. Cals are the same at 1600-1700. What I think has been the key this time is keeping fats very low. I now don't add oil during cooking. I'll have some nuts a few times/week but keep it minimal. Since this formula is working, I'll keep it up until I lose the last 8-10 lbs.
  • melmelrooroo
    melmelrooroo Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi all! I've been pescatarian, then vegetarian, and most recently trying in earnest to be completely vegan since May 2013.

I most recently got the China Study Cookbook to help with my cooking, as after a veggie (steamfry) stir-fry, or baked veggies, or a salad, or a veggie burger, I'm kind of at a loss for what to cook. So far, I really love this cookbook-- it has a wide range of cuisines and types of dishes in it!

Feel free to add me!
  • frazerkate_sw
    frazerkate_sw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed reading everything here. I'm going to be vegan after everything containing animal products in my house is eaten or donated. I'm dairy free due to lactose intolerance and have only been eating omnivorously (?) because of living with others and it was easier. I have 70-90lbs to lose still (52lbs gone) so any support that can be offered both in terms of weight loss and transitioning to vegan will be much appreciated. I have a handful of tofu and pulse based dishes and then breakfast is easy, just lunch that seems the difficulty I've found.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Vegan for about a year! Was vegetarian for about three years before that. I've had a couple mis-haps since I Went vegan but things happen.... and you learn from them!
    I LOVE eating vegan, it really gives me more options to be honest. How many non-veg people know all about the amazingness of nutritional yeast? Or even all the cool meals you can make with rice and beans? So many options that most people wouldn't even know about.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We love Veganomicon and Post Punk Kitchen and our house. Also America's Test Kitchen has a new Vegetarian cookbook that has a lot of vegan recipes. We're "veganish" and just found out that my 14 month old is also lactose intolerant. We do eat the occasional farm egg and fish 1x a month. Seitan is our favorite protein along with tofu and tempeh. We try not to buy too much processed veggie "meats"
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Lacto-Vegan for ~ 40 years. My private cookbook says fruit, veggies and Tofu on every page :smiley:
  • ericGold15
    Options
    Hi, I switched to a plant-based diet 2 months ago. Started at 152 lbs in January and now at 128. The first 14 came off in the first 4 months. Then, there was a 2 month plateau as I transitioned to plant-based. The last 10 came off in the last 2 months. For me, that's quite fast and surprising considering I'm almost at my goal of 120.

Comparing the 2 weight loss periods, the avg exercise was 8-11 hrs/week before to 11-14 hrs/wk now, so I'm having to work harder than I did in the beginning to maintain the rate of weight loss. Cals are the same at 1600-1700. What I think has been the key this time is keeping fats very low. I now don't add oil during cooking. I'll have some nuts a few times/week but keep it minimal. Since this formula is working, I'll keep it up until I lose the last 8-10 lbs.
    My arithmetic says your weight loss rate during the first period was 14/4 = 3.5 lbs per month; and during the last two months weight loss is 5 lbs per month. So depending where you decide to fit the transition period either your vegan diet is shedding lbs faster or slower. The answer is neither if your net calories are the same.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    I forgot to mention ...
    While I don't bake much, I sure can gorge on home made granola all day long, and fat laden curries are my specialty. That makes me a cousin

Oh yeah. M&Ms :wink:
  • ericGold15
    Options
    It keeps my iron at least high enough to donate blood (which is the only time I have it checked really), even though the tech always comments that my numbers are low.
    The tech would not know about your iron. They only check hematocrit -- and maybe not even that. The requirement is to check whole blood specific weight by calibrated copper sulfate solution.

If you are happy eating spinach and feel good than no worries, but if you want a better answer you need to dig a little deeper.

• darventura
    darventura Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just started eating 100% plant-based 3 weeks ago. I have always dabbled with vegetarian/vegan, but couldn't ever stick to it. Last year I fought breast cancer and won so now I have a bit of motivation. LOL Would really love to connect with other vegans and share tips and tricks. Currently working with Oh She Glows cookbook although I have a lot of them already... China Study, Engine 2, and a bunch of raw cookbooks. Love all of the documentaries... I watch them over and over to stay committed. Newest one was Overfed and Undernourished. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    eba2003 wrote: »
    I'm an aspiring vegan and will also be 40 in 2 year's with about 10-15 lbs to lose! Would love to share tips and ideas. One question- where do you get your iron from in a vegan diet, I always heard that plant based iron is less easily assimilated by the body?

I'm an anemic omnivore and cannot get enough iron from my diet. I take Iron Bisglycinate, which is the most effective of the five forms of iron I've tried.

The capsules are vegetarian - can't tell if the source of iron is vegan-friendly - maybe write to Thorne and ask? Let me know what they say!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a (very non-judgy) vegan who has been free of all animal products for the past three and half years. I find I've met 2 types of omnivores: those who assume all vegans are gangly and sickly and can't possibly be getting all their nutrients, and those who assume vegans are all organic, raw eating health nuts who never have to worry about their weight. I love food, and while I cook and eat primarily with my beloved veggies, I also love to bake. Think of any delicious, calorie laden dessert favorite and I've made it in a vegan version: cheesecakes, cream pies, doughnuts, ice cream, etc. Here I am staring down 40 in less than two years and I find myself with about 10 - 15 pounds I'd like to shed. Add me as a friend, particularly if you're a vegan (or at least veg-friendly - seriously, no haters, please) and we can swap motivation, recipes, and tips for being an herbivore in a world obsessed with bacon. :D

Well, this omnivore HAS met quite a few vegans like you described ;)

However, I wouldn't extrapolate that across to ALL vegans :)

I applaud ethical vegans!

Have a cookbook: The Angelica Home Kitchen: Recipes and Rabble Rousings from an Organic Vegan Restaurant

Love the Three Grain Pilaf!