weight loss and heavy lifting?

Options
I re-started a weightloss (fat loss) goal this April and managed to start off with good loses each week- around 3 months in I felt strong enough with my nutrition to start to add in exercise to help speed up the weightloss (at this point I was down 17 lbs in 3 months) so the gym I go to is HIIT based with a 30 min circut of some strength and some cardio.
After about 4 weeks of this I felt like I could take on more, so I asked if I wanted to add more physical activity would weight training be beneficial, of course!!
So July 23rd I added a strength routine 3x a week, its one from the body building website for newbies and its a total body.

however

since the addition of the HIIT and weight routine my weightloss has stalled.

I am OCD about tracking- i weigh and measure everything, sometimes twice, so without a doubt I can confirm I am eating at a healthy deficit. I do NOT eat back exercise calories either.

my supportive spouse just says my muscles are retaining water since i am lifting heavy and that this will eventually tip the scales and i will start losing again....

But how long will this take? is he right? I just cant see how not changing anything will somehow equal a loss

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Your spouse is correct. I wouldn't worry about the scale for a while; focus on measurements instead.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes. That happened to me, too. I lost inches like crazy while the scale barely moved, so I knew I was losing fat. Just hang in there! Your body will release the fluid in good time, but I can't tell you when. I gain a little after lifting, still, and then drop a few pounds all of the sudden.

It doesn't mean that your deficit isn't working.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The last month and a half I have focused more on weight lifting and less cardio. The scale stayed the same but inches came off. Measurements and pictures help to tell the whole story.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've switched to focusing mainly on heavy lifting in the past month. I used to do about an hour of cardio about 4x a week and lifting twice a week, and now I lift 5-6x a week (I do an upper-lower split) and do about 20 min of cardio total daily, which includes my 5-10 minute warm-up. I'm eating at a deficit, but my weight loss has definitely slowed. It's kind of messing with my head and I haven't lost much weight lately. However, I look better! My body looks a lot more toned and tighter than it did before, and I'm loving the way I feel. I think your spouse is right. Keep doing what you're doing! If you don't see any weight loss after a few more weeks, you can always go back to focusing more on cardio. That's my plan, anyway
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think the scale matters to me because at the weight I am currently it places me very much in the obese category :(
    I appreciate all the comments to keep doing what I am doing, but still I often think "isnt the definition of insanity -to keep doing the same thing expecting a different result?" So here I am supposedly doing the same (even tho my weight is at a standstill) and i am expecting to start losing at somepoint? i just feel hopeless.
    at least I love lifting and the gym I go to has a edgy vibe and I like that, i eat almost the same foods every day so the tracking is a piece of cake- i will try and count my positive and stay motived.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I gained the first week and then STS for 6 weeks. After that the losses started again. It's normal for losses to stall after starting a lifting program. Keep in your deficit and keep lifting, the scale will start to move again.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I gained the first week and then STS for 6 weeks. After that the losses started again. It's normal for losses to stall after starting a lifting program. Keep in your deficit and keep lifting, the scale will start to move again.

Thanks OP!! nice to know someone who went thru this!!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for around 5 weeks now, and the actual weight loss has been slow. BUT, my clothes are fitting looser, people are noticing the change, and my confidence is out of the ballpark. Weight loss is quicker while eating a larger deficit and doing cardio because you don't have the water retention like you do with lifting, and also because you're losing more lean body mass than you would with weight lifting.

Just give it time - the weight will come off, and in the end, you'll look amazing.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What are your current goals?

* Lose weight?
    * Bulk muscle mass?
    * Body recomp?

You cannot do them all at once. You cannot add muscle mass while in a deficit. You cannot lose and recomp.

So, start there, and people here will be able to get you on the right track for your goals. And, also hit up folks on https://reddit.com/r/lfitness. Peeps there can help as well. Good luck!
  • GSixZero
    GSixZero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    mirror > scale
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    GSixZero wrote: »
    mirror > scale

Sorta. Your joints don't care what weight it's carrying (Fat or muscle): They will have the same issues, regardless of source of load.

Your heart doesn't care if it's carrying 200 lbs of muscle or 200 lbs of fat. It taxes it more.

If you're obese, the scale matters no matter what your mirror is saying. If you're borderline overweight, but your mirror shows you completely striated, yeah, the mirror matters more.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    I am obese, I have at least 40-50lbs to lose on mt 5ft 6in frame
    the mirror is showing improvements- i took measurements august 2 and will take them again in 4 weeks time (sept 2)
    My goal is fat loss. I am lifting heavy and doing hiit because almost every fitness source I have read says even if you are overweight you should LIFT! I am not expecting to see massive gains while lifting in a deficit- I however want to ensure the loss that occurs is FAT and not lean muscle mass. I also aim for a higher protein goal to help with the so called "muscle insurance" theory to preserve muscle mass. I hope the losses come soon, im headed to the US (from canada) next weekend and I am determined to stay on track, trying to book a hotel with a gym or at least get an outdoor run in.

worked out with hubby last night and we both get on the scale this morning, both are up (water retention, rebuilding glycogen stores) its funny how he is able to just "meh" it off and in my head im like ok, up today will it be down tomorrow, if not when? maybe I should have a low macro day today.....

can some one explain calories and macros? in terms of the daily calorie target- like if my carbs are slightly higher like 230g and fat and protein are still on point to equal a calorie target that should allow me to loose 1lb a week,
    would it make a difference if those calories came more from fat or protein and less carb? but equaling the same calorie target?

I think I tend to use carbs are meal fillers due to the fact they are cheap, breads, pastas, rice, potato and I do find it somewhat difficult to get a days tracking in without getting into the 200g or more range of carb
  • justinc91
    justinc91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well I would worry so much about what the scales says Mayne measure your body fat percentage. Muscle weighs more than fat but lifting will make you look a lot leaner. You need to eat back your excersize calories otherwise your just losing muscle. Your body will store fat and burn muscle if you don't have the proper macros. Key is eat lots of protein more than your carbs and fat but everyone is different when comes to adjusting your micros. You need to eat at a deficit on a regular basis however as your excersizing you have to eat the calories back. Switch up your workout routine such as lifting mix in some running which is good cardiovascular not much maybe 20-30 mind on treadmill and since your lifting you need rest periods so your body can recover.
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    justinc91 wrote: »
    Well I would worry so much about what the scales says Mayne measure your body fat percentage. Muscle weighs more than fat but lifting will make you look a lot leaner. You need to eat back your excersize calories otherwise your just losing muscle.
    Your body will store fat and burn muscle if you don't have the proper macros.
    Key is eat lots of protein more than your carbs and fat but everyone is different when comes to adjusting your micros. You need to eat at a deficit on a regular basis however as your excersizing you have to eat the calories back. Switch up your workout routine such as lifting mix in some running which is good cardiovascular not much maybe 20-30 mind on treadmill and since your lifting you need rest periods so your body can recover.

Wow, is this true?
  • adnamalegna
    adnamalegna Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue, except my appetite is just about null. I eat lots of chicken and veggies and eggs, but not carbs(my carb intake is far less than 40 on an average day) . I JUST started lifting and after two workouts, I've seen no losses but actually gained two pounds. I'm trying not to let it bother me because I'm just impatient. I know I need to tweak my eating but I'm just not hungry(i do make myself eat at least three times a day Tho..it's just not a lot at once) , though I've got plenty of energy. I'm drinking nothing besides water. It's very frustrating to be working so hard to not see those scales cooperate. I am losing inches too. Lost four in my tummy just this week. I can't wait for my scale to show some real results.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jtate0212 wrote: »
    Well I would worry so much about what the scales says Mayne measure your body fat percentage. Muscle weighs more than fat but lifting will make you look a lot leaner. You need to eat back your excersize calories otherwise your just losing muscle.
    Key is eat lots of protein more than your carbs and fat but everyone is different when comes to adjusting your micros. You need to eat at a deficit on a regular basis however as your excersizing you have to eat the calories back. Switch up your workout routine such as lifting mix in some running which is good cardiovascular not much maybe 20-30 mind on treadmill and since your lifting you need rest periods so your body can recover.

Wow, is this true?

Not entirely. Your body isn't stupid, well it has no consciousness so it isn't smart either, if you're not eating well and exercising you might lose some muscle alongside fat, but it won't just burn muscle and leave your fat alone in most if not all circumstances, barring maybe if you're down to pro bodybuilder levels of bodyfat.
    Generally, the more fat you have to lose, the more lenient you can be with all that macro ratio stuff.
    Exercise and lots of protein will always help you keep your muscles but it's not like you'd lose all your muscle without losing fat if you didn't pay attention to that.

And as long as you're in a deficit you won't put on fat long term.
  • pug11
    pug11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You do not need to eat back your exercise calories at all, not true you'll lose muscle if you don't, you mentioned you got a plan from the Bodybuilding website, look on the women's workout/nutrition section, it is full of good advice from people who know what they are doing, well, not all but a lot do.

Don't get all in to eating cals back, it doesn't have to be that complicated. Try eating some different kinds of foods, not always the same stuff.

I used to be a slave to that darn scale, ate so little and ran my butt off, the moment I decided to stop all that nonsense (and save my sanity) is when I lost the weight and have kept if off, I had to turn my mind around.

If I were you I'd not be getting on that scale so much, try to relax about it, you will feel better, the scale will start to move again if you're doing everything right but for all kinds of reasons it can stay stuck.

Sometimes when I lift weights I feel "heavier", my legs feel it the most but it settles down after a day.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    pug11 wrote: »

Sometimes when I lift weights I feel "heavier", my legs feel it the most but it settles down after a day.

I get this feeling too!!
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    jtate0212 wrote: »

Wow, is this true?

Not entirely. Your body isn't stupid, well it has no consciousness so it isn't smart either, if you're not eating well and exercising you might lose some muscle alongside fat, but it won't just burn muscle and leave your fat alone in most if not all circumstances, barring maybe if you're down to pro bodybuilder levels of bodyfat.
    Generally, the more fat you have to lose, the more lenient you can be with all that macro ratio stuff.
    Exercise and lots of protein will always help you keep your muscles but it's not like you'd lose all your muscle without losing fat if you didn't pay attention to that.

And as long as you're in a deficit you won't put on fat long term.

Thanks! All this info can get confusing!