What bread is best if I do eat it?

Options
jynx5
jynx5 Posts: 1 Member
i know I should pass up bread in general but if I am shopping for my household and we could all loose a little weight. Especially with school starting back. What is the best type & brand to buy?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bread is not the enemy. Sure grains have higher levels of lectins and pytates but overall it's not too bad. It is calorie dense for little nutrition other than carbs and can be very moreish so it's easy to over-eat it.

I eat white bread for the lower levels of phyto-toxins and less insoluable fibre- I love the taste and texture of Danish, which is also less dense and so lower in calories. It makes really crunchy toast- which I love. I don't tend to eat it much as once I start I tend to have it everyday until it's gone, at the expense of other foods.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There's no need to pass up bread. A brand and type you won't overeat! I rarely eat bread because I don't find it filling enough to spend the calories on it, but when I do have it, I have 1 sandwich, not 2. Or have an open face sandwich.
    I buy the cheap walmart round top bread and it's only 70 calories a slice!
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bad move jynx5. Why pass up bread for weight-loss purposes? This is a calorie counting website after all.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The best bread to eat when you are counting calories is the very best, most delicious bread you can find. I never waste calories on stuff that isn't that good. I make it fit my calories, not every day but reasonably often.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The best bread to eat when you are counting calories is the very best, most delicious bread you can find. I never waste calories on stuff that isn't that good. I make it fit my calories, not every day but reasonably often.

This!

I've been buying fresh loaves, it just sucks that they don't keep very long.

Bread rich in fiber will keep you and your kids full longer though, so if I buy packaged bread, it's what I go for. I like the 60 calorie slices in whole wheats/whole grain white the best, but my kids usually won't finish the bigger slices anyway.
  • devinnn0728
    devinnn0728 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try the low calorie bread by sarah lee...only 45 calories per slice!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I like natures own only 40 calories a slice and high in fiber and comes in wheat or white
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to pass up bread.

I ate the foods I loved , in moderation. I used portion control . i lost all my weight eating breads , pasta , whatever. Portion control is key.

Carbs aren't your enemy. Its a macro and doesn't cause people to become fat.

To lose weight , all you need is a calorie deficit. That's all ! There's no need to eliminate any foods , unless you have a medical condition.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Whatever kind you like best.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Make your own. The stores sell bread with bleached flour and the best of it doesn't taste half as good as the bread you make yourself.

Whole grains and whole wheat will do more for you than white. If you think you don't like whole wheat, you should REALLY try making your own. It's SO MUCH BETTER than the stuff in the store. :)

Edit: US stores sell bread made with bleached flour. Pretty much every developed country in the world has banned it, so if you're not in America, you won't be buying bread made with bleached flour.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What ever bread your family like best. I buy warburtons toastie and warburtons seeded batch. Kids love the toastie bread, I love the seeded batch. Both are pretty high in calories, so I eat one slice, not two!
    I also like to spread nutella all over it after toasting, nom nom nom!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm not mad keen on bread (not that I don't enjoy sandwiches or crusty rolls or stuff like that, I just don't find run-of-the-mill sliced bread as moreish as some people do) so sometimes if I want to save calories for other things, I buy those sandwich thins (I think the main brand is Warburtons if you live in the UK).
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

This x1000.

What I do when losing weight is eat half as much bread. So instead of 2 slices for my sandwich, it's just one. Or I eat fewer sandwiches throughout the week and still use 2 slices.

I buy bread from a shop in the city where I work - it's fresh-baked daily and is so much better than what I get at the grocery store, even from their own bakery!

~Lyssa
  • atruckerswife
    atruckerswife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This isn't an answer to your best bread, but what I like. I make this argentine chimichurri bread from scratch. I make it in the bread maker as dough, then divide it into these tiny loaf pans. It is about 130 calories for two small slices, but worth every calorie. I agree with SherryTeach, just make sure it is a bread you love and make it worth the count. I haven't done it in awhile... Might be time to pick up the ingredients. Also, by making 3 small loaves, you can freeze two for later. My kids eat them too, but if it's bread for one, you can slice and freeze and only take out what you want. :)
  • tinyfruitprincess
    tinyfruitprincess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is amazing! It's low sodium, vegan, very low fat, no sugar, filled with fiber and grains and it's 80 calories per slice. It's literally the most perfect bread ever if you're trying to lose, maintain, gain, whatever. o:)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like to visit local bread shops and buy artisan breads. But you do have to pay attention. Some of them can be really high in calorie. I have a delirious German seed bread right now that is crazy high cal. Others are not so bad. he more dense the bread is the higher it probably is in calories. But a little goes a long way with really good fresh breads.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is amazing! It's low sodium, vegan, very low fat, no sugar, filled with fiber and grains and it's 80 calories per slice. It's literally the most perfect bread ever if you're trying to lose, maintain, gain, whatever. o:)

except that it is 7 bucks a loaf here, and my kids hate it.
  • JANETM41
    JANETM41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I agree. Love it!
  • Loveslupins
    Loveslupins Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of healthy breads from foodbabe.com. The Daves killer is delicious. The Ezekial takes. Little getting used to :-)

kfpi4jwpcqvk.jpg
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I usually get Country Harvest's Protein bread - it's not too expensive and has 17g of protein per 2 slices (not a lot more than most breads though), but it is very filling and great for sandwiches!