Hello, my name is Melanie I am a train wreck and it is a pleasure to meet you.

Options
I am 38 years old and I am currently 137 pounds from my goal weight. I am taking four medications for blood pressure, one for cholesterol, and one to help manage blood sugar. Due to some soul shattering motivation, on July 14th, I decided I was going to make changes in my life and I was going to start with my health. Of course, every health issue I have has something to do with my weight, so that is where I chose to start. My beginning weight was 318 pounds and at my last opportunity to weigh in on August 14th, I was at 302 pounds. I know that before long the weight will come off slower and then not at all, and my bag of tricks is already empty. Which brings me to why I am here. I need advice, guidance, and friends who understand the struggles that come with this journey. I would say that this is my first honest attempt at weight loss and I am not dieting I am making a lifestyle change, but I am really at a loss as to what I am doing. I am embarrassed to admit that at my age I don’t know how to feed myself and exercise is something that while I want it, even crave it I am absolutely terrified of it. I look forward to meeting some of you and hearing your stories as well as sharing my own.

Replies

• aurora184
    aurora184 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie, I'm Aurora.... your train wreck co-pilot LOL. Allow me the honor to be added on your friend list. I'm on a 100+ lbs journey so in it for the long run. I have my struggles and try to overcome them with a lot of humor and my MFP friends. I'm also on my first real weight loss attempt ( starting level: "hey who is that fat person in the group photo.... shoot that's me") and I'm slowly on my way. Doing good, derailing a bit at times but trying to have fun on this life change.
  • atruckerswife
    atruckerswife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I third this journey.. I just started posting today, but have been here lurking for a few weeks. 100÷ as well. :)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie ..I am Megan....My advice to you is take this one step at a time ( I went gun ho back in 09/2010 and burned out quickly) ...for example lets start with exercise...maybe walk to the next doors neighbors driveway ..then the next day walk to the second driveway and so on ...samething with your eating ...I hope that makes sense ..feel free to add me and wishing you much success :)
  • livluvlift
    livluvlift Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there ladies! I have over 100 lbs to lose as well although my main focus is lifting heavy things and improving my eating habits. Would love more friends to add that I can relate to.
  • kyliegoodwin04
    kyliegoodwin04 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    115 pounds here to lose. Feel free to add me
  • melmelrooroo
    melmelrooroo Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just hit the 60 pounds lost mark and still have 30 to go. It takes time, but you can do it! Since you asked for advice, the below is what helped me.

-Realize that you won't wake up tomorrow with a perfect lifestyle, no one does. But you can focus on making one small change at a time, and building good habits. (I.e. it will be hard to cut out 100% of added sugar and processed foods in the next 24 hours, but you can immediately make the commitment to only drink water/unsweetened tea/ black coffee which have zero or minimal calories. Focus on this habit until it feels like a no-brainer, no effort habit, then add another healthy habit to start building.) Choose to start with simple habits and make it so easy to stick with them that it is hard to fail.

-Identify your triggers. Think about all of your current actions and if/ how they are contributing to an unhealthy lifestyle. Does any activity seem to lead to more unhealthy activities? For myself, drinking beer was a trigger -- whenever I had a beer I always wanted a burger or chips to go with it.

-What foods do you tend to overeat, or pair with other foods that you should try to avoid while losing? Early in my journey, I stopped buying bread because I realized it was a vehicle for me to pile on cheese or butter, and it was a fantastic way to just waste a bunch of calories.

-Educate yourself! Nutrition can be super confusing, and it doesn't help that the internet has a bunch of information about nutrition that isn't necessarily supported by science. Go to a nutritionist. If this isn't an option, see if your community offers any sort of class about nutrition and health. There are also a lot of great books on the topic, the below are my favorite, and books I would strongly advise anyone looking to eat healthier to read:
    -Salt, Sugar, Fat (less about nutrition, more about how bad processed foods are, and how they got that way. I also really like this book because it discusses a lot about the psychology of craving, and having this information helped me to use logic to overcome some of my cravings when I first started.)
    -Forks Over Knives (documentary film)
    -What to Eat by Marion Nestle
    -Michael Pollan Food Rules

-Eat as close to the original form of the ingredient as you can. Avoid processed foods which are just traps for added sugar, salt, and fats. When I say eat as close to the original form as you can what I mean is boiling and eating a grain,let's say for example, quinoa, is better than having some "health" bread that has quinoa as one of the 10+ ingredients. Alternatively, a simple test would be, could I go to a farm and pick this myself (apple - yes; tv dinner - no)? Is the final form of this produced in nature, or in a factory?

-WEIGH ALL YOUR FOOD. Seems like a pain, but MUCH more accurate that measuring cups.

-Make it difficult to do the things you need to avoid. Don't bring hyper-processed foods into your home. If there are places you like to get a snack at, create routes for yourself that will help you avoid passing places where you might be tempted to get something to eat.

I'm also going to friend you! I hope you found this post helpful, these are the things I definitely used to lose weight myself, and I hope you can take something from it as well!

Too long; Didn't Read: -Avoid processed foods which tend to be calorie dense but offer little nutrients and eat foods that have very few ingredients (such as produce, and not highly processed foods); - look at what habits you need to change and focus on small changes that are easy to accomplish and grow from there; -Weigh all your food; -educate yourself through books or a nutritionist.
  • nance130
    nance130 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie, and I can sure relate to your comments... your feelings. I will keep track of these messages as you all inspire me and I send encouragement and support in all your goals. I have never left a comment before...
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie, welcome to the beginning of what will be a rewarding journey. Feel free to check out my profile to read my story. Also, feel free to add me.
  • ashley1401
    ashley1401 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hello, I can relate to you need to change, mine is medical as well... Please add me. You will see motivation just by weighing your food out and logging it ;-)
  • mickie_
    mickie_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Good luck with your journey! I am new to MFP and could also use a few friends to help motivate and keep me going. We are at a similar weight and just having another birthday and this being my new highest weight, it's time to get serious for me and my health issues. I am sure my doctor would say it's about time, lol. Sticking with it is a whole different story though as most of us know. But I am determined!
  • chubsieivy
    chubsieivy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Although I've been using MFP on and off for about a year I think this time I'm actually using it correctly and today I've decided to reach out and gather a community to help me on my fitness journey! Time to be accountable and I'd be happy to follow you on your journey!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi there Melanie! MelMelRooRoo has given you really great advice. Take it one step at a time. And definitely take the time to read and educate yourself about how to go about it. Here are some MFP that really helped me a lot when I first started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    and
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

I also recommend reading the Success Stories forum, it is really motivating to see how others have accomplished so much. I read them every day!
    Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm eighty-five pounds down now, and I had a lot of expert support including a dietitian and bariatric surgery. If you aren't considering surgery you can still lose weight on your own. I relate a lot to the feelings you are going through, and the dread that your progress will slip. I'd like to encourage you that exercise will not always be scary. Here's a story of my progression.

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/before-and-after.html

I just completed my first Mud Hero, so I am walking proof that with steady progress, amazing things can be done! At your weight I think exercise like walking and swimming (not straining the joints too much) are safest. The rest can come later.