64 Pounds Gone!! Size 16 to 6! I Did It!!!!!!!

Options
MmmDrop
MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
I can't believe I'm actually being able to post in this section!!! I wanted my weight loss journey to be a success, but after 7 years of health issues, I never really thought it was possible. Regardless of my pessimism, I fought on, and now I am so glad I did!

7 years ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, and my hormones went berzerk. Less than a year after she was born, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease.

Overdosed on anti-thyroid meds, I quickly gained 80 pounds onto my 130 pound body. Quickly. In just a few months. I could barely get myself out of bed, lost an unbelievable amount of hair, my joint pain made doing anything unbearable, and I now have a swiss cheese memory of my daughters first years. Doctor number 2 suggested my first visit to have my thyroid removed, and that my disease would be more easily controlled after it was gone. He never bothered to look at my lab results to find that I was being overdosed. Yet I had blind faith, and did as he said. After your thyroid is removed you HAVE to take thyroid replacement medicine for the rest of your life or you will go into a myxedema coma and die. According to my doctor treatment post thyroidectomy was simple, and it would be just a matter of time to get my dosage dialed in. Wrong. Some people do just fine on synthetic thyroid hormone. I was not one of them.

To make a long story short, I finally wised up, researched, and learned as much as I could. I sought out doctors by word of mouth from other thyroid patients who would actually help me! I was tired of being pat on the head by doctors, and everything I would say completely dismissed. To my previous doctors I knew nothing, and how I felt mattered not one bit. I was tired of being ignored. Finally, I found relief in my new doctors. I found I had not just Graves Disease, but Hashimotos, PCOS, and was extremely anemic and Vitamin D deficient, and treatment began.

2 years ago, I started lifting heavy with the help of one of my husbands military buddies who was level 2 Olympic Lifting certified, and I never looked back. We trained 4 days a week in his garage gym, and then I went on my own. I lift heavy 5 days a week, for 2 hours a day. Compound lifts are my absolute favorite! Front squat is sitting at 210, Back squat 270, Deadlift 335. Earlier this summer, I started going to classes at my local yoga studio to show my new muscles loving - and I'm addicted! I have my whole family going with me now. :smile:

Anyways. I lost my first 20ish pounds after switching from synthetic thyroid hormone to a natural one. All water weight. The bulk of the weight I've lost has been just since January of this year after I had gotten my hormones optimized, and deficiencies treated!

9juougowu4mu.jpg
fc302lpeuv5n.jpg

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You look amazing!! and I am glad you found a new doctor that helped you get back to normal. :)
  • mekillingsworth
    mekillingsworth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great example of the importance of holistic healthcare - starting with exercise and nutrition! Congratulations!
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Congratulations !! That's great :)
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wow great job. You look amazing!!!
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! You look great!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • jmothershead127
    jmothershead127 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good job! You look amazing. Smart to outsource your doctors. I love reading stories like this because it just shows how fell western medicine isn't always the answer and how determined one person can be n make such a change. It's scary when your not entirely sure and having to rely on medical advice. Great job!
  • EttaWB
    EttaWB Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Congrats! Your story is very interesting because my immunity has been low for the past 4-5 months. Before starting the change to healthier eating and moving, I was 218. I'm slightly anemic and vitamin D deficient. A few weeks ago I was given an injection of 300,000 mg of vit D. I chose the injection because I'm taking the cran-biotix, vitamin E, iron and another supplement. I didn't want another. And I won't even talk about the fybroid and small cysts. Though I knew I needed to lose weight, all of this gave me the motivation I needed to finally get started. Sad but true. I also have vascular issues (one vein not working in both legs) and my heart rate jumps up faster than it should. I saw an endocrinologist because some thought I might have a thyroid issue. My T-levels were .2, .5 and .8 low or high. He said he wasn't concerned just yet I continue to eat a healthier diet and walk at least 3 days a week for 20 minutes. I'm trying to introduce holistic products into my diet, like reishi mushroom, flax seeds and I just order bitter sweets, which help detox. I retest next month and I pray all of my numbers are up. I've been complaining about my slow weight loss. Well, you gave me another dose of hope by sharing. My MFP friends have also been very supporting and encouraging.
  • bjlaff
    bjlaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's right!! Awesome!! Way to take control and come out victorious! Motivation for the day right there! Good job..
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You look great! Well done!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Great job! Very, very happy for you on two levels: losing weight/ weight lifting - you look happy and awesome - AND becoming your own advocate with your doctors. I did the 'blind faith' thing, too and suffered for years from things being prescribed. Finally, I started doing my own research and found a lovely Doc who listens to my suggestions and we discuss things. I'm glad you found that, too!
  • ks_mommaof5
    ks_mommaof5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You look absolutely incredible!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story - I am hypothyroid and Hashimoto's as well ... struggling to get everything optimized while pushing myself to eat clean and exercise. Thank you so much for sharing your victory - it is truly inspirational! :)
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You look great. I have decided to start lifting myself
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    wowee. amazing! stunning...would love more info on your weight training.

GIF--Clap-applause-good-job-nice-one-clapping-Despicable-Me-Minion-Minions-GIF.gif
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look awesome! All that hard work has paid off, great job!
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You rocked it girl! Learned a long time ago "Trust but verify" when it comes to doctors. Not all of them work with the same passion for their jobs and, unfortunately, we end up paying the price.
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    AWESOME SAUCE!!!! So happy for you and proud of you! You could have given up, but you pressed through! May we all follow your resolve! Thanks for sharing.
  • ladyrixx
    ladyrixx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Which natural thyroid are you on? I've been trying for years to get someone to prescribe me Armour...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!