Is it true that you cannot eat as much as a person that was always of normal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure about that but what I can contribute is that it takes less to fill me now, that didn't happen overnight but it was a gradual thing. I sit down alot to a big enough plate of food only to find I can only eat just over half of it...my brain registers I'm full quicker maybe? Don't know but I'm not complaining lol
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There are definitely some studies that show this. But statistics are not predictive to the individual. So that 20% may be 10% for some or not at all.

My personal experience is that, before when I dieted, I always had to eat less than the calculators said to lose weight. This was after a lifetime of dieting. So for me it was true.

But this last time, I got WLS and also did so much exercising including a lot of strength training and now the calculators are closer to being true for me. (Different calculators calculate a TDEE of different numbers but they are all closer now to reality than before.)

I also went through a period right when I reached my goal when the MFP calculator was estimating way too low a TDEE. Too bad that didn't last! LOL
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You're essentially referring to Adaptive Thermogenesis as tigerblue mentioned previously in this thread.

Basically, you burn fewer calories. You can offset this to varying degrees with increased LBM and increased activity.

Exactly what I have heard and read. That is why I will take two weeks every month or so and eat slightly above maintenance calories and do compound exercises at heavy weights