At what weight do you have to slow down your loss?

Options
I weigh 194. I aet my numbers to 1.5lbs per week. The calories i get are reasonable and sustainable for me at the moment. I projected of i maintain that weight of loss i should be 177 by Thanksgiving. I don't actually care..it was just a date i picked on a calendar. How close to your goal before it becomes *hard*? This week i lost 2.8lbs..and i have never lost less than 1.5 in the last 8 werks. My total loss is 26lbs.

Replies

• glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If it matters i am 5'5" and my targwt is 130 to 140 then revaluation if i need to.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your weight loss will slow as your TDEE becomes smaller and closer to your BMR.

If you were 200lb and losing 5lb a week and you were eating 2300 calories then that'd be good

But you wouldn't be able to do that at 130lb's.

It happens naturally, MFP will adjust your calories based upon your weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It slowed down naturally for me when I reached the point where I was too hungry to eat less.

I lost 40 pounds the first 6 months, then it took a year for the next 40s (I'm 5'5" and stopped losing at 133 pounds).

I should add that I always ate between 1650 and 1750 calories, only increased to 1800 when I was 3 pounds away (but I haven't lost since, I get over too much, mostly because of PMS).
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Glad you're thinking ahead glitzy. A time will arrive when you'll come to an understanding with the people who are skeptical of your plan long term, rather than picking fights with them. B)

A lower TDEE will mean fewer McNuggets, or more exercise. You will find out one way or another, so, good for you if you start planning now. ;)
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    If it matters i am 5'5" and my targwt is 130 to 140 then revaluation if i need to.
    555_FILK wrote: »
    Glad you're thinking ahead glitzy. A time will arrive when you'll come to an understanding with the people who are skeptical of your plan long term, rather than picking fights with them. B)

A lower TDEE will mean fewer McNuggets, or more exercise. You will find out one way or another, so, good for you if you start planning now. ;)
    Blah! Fewer chicken nuggets it is,.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Mine started to creep along very slowly right at the top of my "healthy weight" for my height, 140 at 5'4". There's less room for error, as your deficit cannot be quite as large when your TDEE drops.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to slow down, it's just too hard to eat that little. Especially since you don't want vegetables to cross your lips, it will be harder to stay full when you can't take in as many calories. It can be done! You'll just be hungrier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Once you get to normal BMI, I think it gets harder simply because the amount you get to eat for maintenance is less. That means it's harder to eat at such a large deficit. I suspect you'll be good with your current rate of loss (or a pound a week) until you hit 150 or so, then you'll want to decrease your deficit.

This. I didn't intentionally slow my loss down, but at a certain point I didn't adjust my calories down or keep increasing my workouts even more (they were already at the amount I thought was consistent with my training goals) and so it started slowing as I continued to get smaller.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I was really strict with my diet for the first 40, but now that I'm about half way to my end goal, I'm starting to ease up and eat more. This means I'm losing a bit more slowly, maybe instead of 3lb a week, 2 or 1.5lb
  • Roxannehcarter
    Roxannehcarter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This has been fantastic for me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I weigh 194. I aet my numbers to 1.5lbs per week. The calories i get are reasonable and sustainable for me at the moment. I projected of i maintain that weight of loss i should be 177 by Thanksgiving. I don't actually care..it was just a date i picked on a calendar. How close to your goal before it becomes *hard*? This week i lost 2.8lbs..and i have never lost less than 1.5 in the last 8 werks. My total loss is 26lbs.

Honestly, this is how a lot of people eventually find ways to incorporate veggies into their diets - you start running out of room in terms of balancing how many calories you can eat versus having success with ongoing weight loss, and the veggies let you add enough food volume so that you can feel full and still lose weight.

In the other thread I mentioned a friend who utterly despises fresh vegetables - we're talking about a pure, uncompromising hatred that burns hotter than a thousand suns, lol.

But he's also health-conscious. So he purees vegetables and adds them to chili or beef stew, or adds the puree to pasta sauce, pizza sauce, lasagne, meatballs, hamburgers, and meatloaf. He purees cauliflower and/or carrots and adds them to mashed potatoes. Pureed cauliflower or yellow squash get added to mac and cheese.

The deal here is to create added food volume without lots of added calories, so you can continue to lose weight without feeling like you are starving.

You might take a look at these two cookbooks (recommended by my vegetable-phobic friend):

"The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals"
    "The Speedy Sneaky Chef: Quick Healthy Fixes for Your Favorite Packaged Foods"

Once you hit goal weight and are at maintenance you'll have more flexibility with calories.

That's a joke to me because I'm hungrier now at goal weight than I was while I was losing, so if anything, I am not as flexible now and most days if I actually have a 300 calorie treat I WILL end up going to bed hungry... didn't have that issue as much when I was losing!

But yeah... I don't love veggies but I really try to get my 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day because they definitely help keep me full for less calories.