Post-pregnancy weight loss - other new moms?

Options

Replies

• MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think we all appreciate your point of view Isabelle_1929, but for new moms it's not just time that is an issue. There are a ton of other factors in a new mom's or seasoned mom's, weight loss journey that you didn't consider. We not only have to care for our baby, we have to take care of and manage everyone elses lives, as well. Moms are pretty much the bomb at multitasking and accomplishing a million things in a day that rarely have anything to do with them. So it's not that easy to make time for yourself when you're not number one anymore. The fact that these moms are kicking booty and taking names, is a great inspiration to other moms who may be afraid or unmotivated to begin their own weight loss journey and they should be celebrated, not made to feel inferior. Unfortunately, I personally found your response to be a little insensitive to moms who may be having a tough time losing weight. We're all here for a reason and that reason should be to encourage other moms to keep up the good work and determination. I wish you well on your own journey!
  • squishy1224
    squishy1224 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm also in with you. I'm nursing and worried cutting calories or working out and not eating enough will lower my supply. I have a 1 month old I have 30 pounds to lose

I'm nursing too! I just add 500 calories to the recommended amount and that's worked quite well. Losing weight, but no supply problems. Make sure you're drinking LOTS of water too with bfing and working out.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had my second baby three and a half months ago. I'm already back to my pre pregnancy weight. I now working on the weight I put on between my pregnancies.

Personally I've found it easier than I expected to lose my pregnancy weight both times, mainly because I'm always on the go with the boys, doing housework and generally just on my feet lots. I put almost two stone on when I went back to work when my eldest was six months old and went from walking everywhere with him in the pram to get him to nap to sitting down nine hours a day!

It's tough with having kids though because I find with having so little time to myself and so little energy when they go to bed, I don't want to exercise and I resented cutting back on my chocolate for a while because it was the only thing I had that was mine! It's getting easier now my baby goes to bed at the same time as his brother, I do get evenings to myself again and he's sleeping through until 4/5am so I actually get a decent sleep too!
  • PandaBWA
    PandaBWA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also nursing. Add 500 to your calorie intake and eat ALL your exercise calories. Personally I don't cut calories when nursing and focus on exercise. It's more important for me to keep up my supply. I just try to make smarter choices in food.

There are days I can't stop eating because she's going through a growth spurt, or because I'm on my period (which affects supply) and she's nursing like crazy. I don't count calories because when I "have" to eat more to maintain supply it feels so defeating. I log, I just don't get super crazy, and obey hunger cues. Right now the past few days I'm all about a good 2500 calories a day because she is teething with a growth spurt. I've maintained my weight postpartum for 3 years with #1 (nursing) and now 10 months with #2, so I'm confident in my own approach. Doesn't work for everyone I am sure. Everyone's supply is different when breastfeeding. :)
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I need some mom friends too. I have 4 kids 11,9,2, 4 mo. and work full time. I have been working out the last few weeks, and trying to get in 10,000 steps a day w/ my fitbit i'm making sure I log everyday and staying accountable feel free to add me too :smile:
  • krissyrangel
    krissyrangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My baby is almost three months and I lost 32lbs of my pregnancy weight but now I'm stuck and I really want out. I hate to be seen and my husband always tries to show me off and brag about me to everyone he knows. I want to be proud of that and not try to hide...
  • Emilycto
    Emilycto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my ten month baby and I'm starving all of the time. I have 35 pounds to lose but I'm finding it hard to keep on track especially when we have a bad night and I'm exhausted. Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other to stay on track!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have a January 2015 baby too! He was a New Years baby. :) I lost 35 lbs on mfp before getting pregnant, from 212 to 177. Got pregnant with baby number 4 and put the weight back on. Started back with mfp at 212 again on February 1st when baby was 1 month old. Nursing full time ! I've since lost 60 pounds, down to 152! I have 15 pounds to go to meet my goal. I'm really pleased with my progress. Good luck everyone!
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45kgs (99lbs) 2011/12 before I fell pregnant to my daughter(had her2013). I put on a normal amount of weight whilst pregnant but once she was born it was like I was starving especially when nursing her. I have no idea why. I fell pregnant again when she was about 7/8months old and had my son 2014. He's now 10montgs old.

I satrted my weighloss in May when my son just turned 6months and have since lost 20.5kgs (45lbs). I have about 25.5kgs (56lbs) left for my target.

I would like to say to all of you mums that are managing to lose weight whilst nursing their infants: what an achievement. I failed and couldn't do anything about my weight untill my baby stopped. So I take my hat of to you.

Feel free to add.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think we all appreciate your point of view Isabelle_1929, but for new moms it's not just time that is an issue. There are a ton of other factors in a new mom's or seasoned mom's, weight loss journey that you didn't consider. We not only have to care for our baby, we have to take care of and manage everyone elses lives, as well. Moms are pretty much the bomb at multitasking and accomplishing a million things in a day that rarely have anything to do with them. So it's not that easy to make time for yourself when you're not number one anymore. The fact that these moms are kicking booty and taking names, is a great inspiration to other moms who may be afraid or unmotivated to begin their own weight loss journey and they should be celebrated, not made to feel inferior. Unfortunately, I personally found your response to be a little insensitive to moms who may be having a tough time losing weight. We're all here for a reason and that reason should be to encourage other moms to keep up the good work and determination. I wish you well on your own journey!

Sorry. Just thought you had liked to hear from someone who has been on the very same boat, but was able to disembark - with a different mind set. I think it's cool sometime to hear about various experiences.

Never mind. Good luck to all (sincerely).
  • wrabbit007
    wrabbit007 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had two babies in two years (Jan 2014 and June 2015). I was already about 30 pounds higher than I wanted to be before my pregnancies. I managed to lose the baby weight within a couple of weeks both times (I thank breastfeeding!) but now need to tackle that pesky 30 pounds. My body is a lot softer and lumpier after kids, so my focus is also on gaining some muscle and toning up. I want to be able to run and play with my children without feeling winded! I started Slim Fast three days ago (and I don't need a lecture on "fad diets" vs "just change your lifestyle"). It is working for me as a kickstarter and I know it isn't a long term solution, but it is helping me to 'get back into it' regarding portion control, making better food choices, and exercising. Plus I hate cooking so the easy-to-grab meals work for my particular lifestyle at the moment. If anyone wants to connect for daily check-ins, encouragement and motivation contact me! I am currently doing a 30 day plank challenge and squat challenge with my sister-in-law and am having fun being accountable to her. It would be great to meet up with some other 'yummy mommies' and do the same!
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Finding time to exercise is my biggest challenge and I sort of gave up on it for now and I'm focusing on the food. I have 5 month old twins and a full time job so no time for anything! I have 10 lbs to go thankfully.
  • HRGri5th
    HRGri5th Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put on a lot of weight with both my pregnancies. 65 with the first and didn't get all of it off before I put on 50 with the second. I ended up at 206 the second time and the first half of last year I got back down to the 160s and started putting it back on. After putting on weight for almost a year I just started using mfp again about 10 days ago. I weigh 201 and would love to get to 150. I would love to have someone that has a similar goal and to help with accountability and to bounce ideas off of for food and exercise!
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! It's nice to know we aren't alone in this! Keep on working hard to reach your goals. My progress is slow, but I'm definitely getting there.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wanted to chime into this great thread and hopefully make some new friends to motivate me with better cal counts. I'm 15 weeks into baby #2 postpartum and I am overweight for the first time in my life :( Last time it took me over a yearto lose and I still had 10 lbs to go when I got pregnant again. I hope I can bring it down faster this time! Please friend me!!!!
  • darken6
    darken6 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did a google search "new moms mfp" and found this thread. I'm so glad I found y'all! :) I lost 15 lbs and was exercising hard 5 days a week last summer/fall with mfp. Then I found out I was pregnant with my seventh and the all-day sickness and fatigue knocked me off my game big time. I gained back the 15 lbs, plus 30 more--WAY more than I've ever gained in a pregnancy (typically about 15 lbs per pregnancy). As a result, this is the first time I've been nearly 3 months postpartum and not at or below pre-pregnancy weight!
    I started logging again 2 weeks ago and I've already lost 5 pounds; from 182 to 177. I was 163 last fall at the peak of my exercise/diet, and that's my current goal. I am breastfeeding and pumping to supplement because my daughter has a posterior tongue tie and insufficient milk transfer at the breast alone. It's the second time I've worked through this and it's a real pain, but totally worth it. I started out adding 500 calories and have found I can do with 400 and not effect my supply, so that's where I am now.
    Feel free to add! Would love to have more mom-friends in my feed! :)
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a new mom (first time mother). Feel free to add me!
  • Letsdothis1984
    Letsdothis1984 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had 2 babies in 2 years (2012 and 2013) and my youngest is now 2 and I'm still struggling with getting the last 20lbs off. So if anyone wasn't to add me please do so and we can work together :smile:
  • Mom2jlj
    Mom2jlj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I[quotcurrently 193 Gri5th;33734748"]I put on a lot of weight with both my pregnancies. 65 with the first and didn't get all of it off before I put on 50 with the second. I ended up at 206 the second time and the first half of last year I got back down to the 160s and started putting it back on. After putting on weight for almost a year I just started using mfp again about 10 days ago. I weigh 201 and would love to get to 150. I would love to have someone that has a similar goal and to help with accountability and to bounce ideas off of for food and exercise![/quote]

I am currently 193 and my goal is 160. I gained 50 lbs with my second pregnancy (baby born june 10). I've lost 34 so far but I was heavy before I got pregnant. I am breastfeeding so I can't go too low cal. I'm walking now and plan to jog when my baby is old enough for the jogging stroller. Hopefully I will be ready for the challenge by then. I want to do the plank challenge too!
  • shmyrs
    shmyrs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My youngest (of three) is four months old. I'm down about 40 since she was born and have lost the pregnancy weight, but still have about 30 to lose to reach my final goal. I'm sending a friend request so we can keep each other motivated! :)